How to get rid of Window dub burn on video recorded by a Canon XH A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 27th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #1
New Boot

How to get rid of Window dub burn on video recorded by a Canon XH A1

Hi all...

I did something a little retarded. Prior to shooting a wedding I was working on a project where I needed time code and data information burnt directly on the recorded video from the camera, sort of like a window dub, but not added in after, recorded on the original video.

Of course I forgot to reset this option before shooting a wedding, and all my footage came out with the data information burnt into the video! Ouch!

I'm using a Canon XH A1, and editing with Adobe CS5 Production Premium...

When you fast forward and rewind the video, the data information disappears, which gives me a little hope that removing this without suffering great quality losses may be possible?

Does anyone know if and what I can do to correct this error?

Thanks.
Old March 27th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: How to get rid of Window dub burn on video recorded by a Canon XH A1

Hi Mike

I don't remember if it's possible at all to store the time code on display during recording. As it dissapears when you FF/REV, it probably isn't recorded to tape. Is it still in the picture after you captured it into CS5?

Regards,

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 03:30 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Mikes got his own Battle of Waterloo going :) I'm with Bo afaik you can't record data to tape or capture it either.

Probably an option in CS5?

Cheers.
Old March 28th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #4
New Boot

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies! I haven't tried digitizing into CS5 yet, but I will, and I'll see what happens. I just figured that when you play it back from the cam corder, the data display doesn't go away, so I thought that meant it was burnt in. Maybe that data is on the tape, and is picked up by the cam corder, but not transfered when you dump the vis to another source. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Thanks,

Last edited by Mike Janke; March 28th, 2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: initials redundant
Mike Janke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi

There is an option in the menu under Display Setup where you can chose to display the data code that is recorded on tape. You can also use the IR remote to display/hide the data code. The data code is only displayed during playback and is not captured to tape.

Regards,

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #6
New Boot

Well thanks Bo for clarifying that. I haven't got around to digitizing the footage yet, but your answer makes sense. I am relieved that this is not going to be an issue. Thank you.

Mike
Old April 9th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #7
Inner Circle

But doesn't this "good" news mean the deposition or whatever you turned it all on for didn't get it burned in afterall?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #8
Regular Crew

i'm curious if the original poster mike ever captured this footage, and if the info showed up. because a, some of the info here is not accurate, and b, i'm seeing something similar with footage someone else recorded and i'm capturing. as to the first point, yes you can burn in the display info, depending on what you want to do there is a "tv screen" option (if you were recording to an external device, you'd be using this to output all the display info to that device), and there is also a "character record" function you can set up in custom functions which does what the name suggests, burns in the characters that are visible on your display screen. this is what canon folk have to do if shooting a deposition, and the annoying thing about it is that it burns EVERYTHING that is displayed, so you lose the benefit of your various pieces of display info if you just wanted to burn in the time and date info.
as to the original issue, i have some footage that was recorded on someone else's A1. i am seeing the info from their recording session, everything, the date, aperture, zoom, it's all there. even the little red dot for recording. there is a lot of the footage where this appears, then it disappears later in the tape. similarly to mike, if i fast forward, i don't see it displayed. but unlike mike at the point of the posts, i have captured some of the footage in final cut, and yes, all the info is captured just as it is displaying on my lcd.
so mike, did you figure out how to get rid of the display in capturing, or does anyone else know how to do this? bo, if you mean the tv screen option in display menu, that's off.
thanks all.
Old May 24th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #9
Regular Crew

In case anyone is interested in burning-in time and date, there is a function called '(Character Rec) Superimposing Character Recording' in the XH A1 manual. The description says: Selects whether to embed the on-screen character displays (date and time) as part of the video recording. When set to [ON], {an icon} will blink on the screen in record pause mode." The icon looks like a TV screen with a line on it with a pencil beside it. In the English section of the manual, the information appears as Item 20 on page 89 in the Customization section (E). Further information indicates that TV Screen options are lost when this function is selected. Item 20 is a selection in the Customize section of the Camera menu - 00 is OFF and 01 is ON. The XH A1 has three custom function memory sets so anyone requiring the function on regular occasions could set up one of the three with burning activated.

If the recordings in question were made with Character Rec on, I don't see any way of removing it easily. However, you might be able to use the camera to create a mask to minimize visibility of the burn-in. Using an XH A1, record the same data as the burn-in on the original over black video (the 'mask track'). You will have to play with the camera date and other settings to achieve a good mask.

Import and use the mask track to mask off the symbols and characters leaving black letters, numbers and symbols (the 'black title track'). Render out the black title track, import to your project and put it under the original video track with a very heavy blur filter. Use the mask track again to cut through the original video to reveal the blurred video where the characters and symbols were burned. The blurred black title track should provide a better match to the original video than a fixed background as it will vary in colour and luminance with the original.

The idea I outlined will take a lot of work but may be worthwhile depending on what you are doing.
Roger Keay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders