DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Need help: A1 Repair cost vs new cam (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/493950-need-help-a1-repair-cost-vs-new-cam.html)

Scott Lancaster April 1st, 2011 01:01 PM

Need help: A1 Repair cost vs new cam

Looking for some advice. I use a XH A1 here at work as my primary/only cam. We bought this camera new almost 4 years ago and it has been great. We are starting to look at a replacement (targeting the XF 300). Anyway, my A1 has recently developed 2 problems... 1. the headphone jack no longer works, so I have no way to monitor my audio (checked the headphones and they work fine). and 2. the handheld strap broke away from the camera at the front (lens end of camera)... plastic broke away from the body! I called to get a repair quote, but they would need to look at the cam, which I understand. The problem is I am 85 miles away... so I would like a "ballpark" figure of what it will cost to repair before I take it to the shop. If it were my decision, I would see this as my opportunity to just go ahead and get the new cam, but it's my supervisor's decision, so I need to do my homework and show him the cost to repair my 4 year old camera vs biting the bullet and getting the new one slightly ahead of schedule. Until these 2 problems, my A1 has held up great through heavy use. So, I guess I am asking if anyone else has had these 2 things repaired and what did it cost? Also, I thought about trying some type of "super glue" for the strap, but my fear is that if it doesn't work, I will know when the camera falls and smashes on the ground.... hey maybe that could actually work in my favor! :) kidding. Anyone used super glue type stuff to glue the strap back on the camera body? Any other advice is also appreciated!

Colin McDonald April 1st, 2011 01:35 PM

Re: Need help: A1 Repair cost vs new cam

Can't help with the headphone jack issue, but you might be eligible for a warranty repair for the strap fixing. Have a look at http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh...1s-g1-g1s.html (It's been a sticky here for a while now).

This may not be the ideal time to look for a new cam - unless you can find a dealer with stock - as there seems (understandably) to be a problem with supply of some of the latest models from Japan.

Michael DAmbrose April 1st, 2011 02:45 PM

I just did the grip replacement -- wasn't broken but did as preventative. XHA1 is about 3 years old. Canon was great and it took less than a week (I live in ct), They email you a UPS prepaid label and you use your own box. I had the original box. So this will save you shipping and they can quote you on the headphone repair if you ask on the paperwork. You have nothing to lose if you can be with out cam for a short amount of time.

--Mike

Les Wilson April 1st, 2011 03:15 PM

I had the hand grip done under the recall as others have said. If you are happy with the a1 and the tape mechanism is reliable, then why by a new camera? If you look you will fnd there isn' a good a1 equivalent to upgrade to in the canon line. The Sony z5 plus mrc1k is the best match and keeps you in the tape and hdv workflow but also gives you improved low light and solid state recording. To get the long lens you are used to in a new camera, the upgrade paths are not like computers where you spend the same every 4 years and get all the new stuff. From my experience, you have to step up in price to get what you are used to and the new stuff you want cuz you've outgrown the a1. So when you see the sticker price, that headphone Jack repair may look pretty good to your boss. Unfortunately, you will suffer from new camera fever as soon as you start looking. There is no antidote. Haha

Annie Haycock April 3rd, 2011 04:06 AM

I sent in my A1 for repairs because the firewire port was no longer working. They gave me a fixed price for checking out the whole camera and repairing the firewire was done within that price. In the UK, that was less than £200 ($300?) and the camera was back a week later. They do give a price if it requires more extra parts.

I use the Sony MRC-1K for tapeless workflow, though having a two-part set-up it is a bit cumbersome at times, especially by the time you've added a monitor and a shotgun mic. Getting a unit such as the XF300 is appealing - if only I had the cash!

Allan Black April 3rd, 2011 10:21 PM

Scott, sounds like the A1 is used by others, are you sure the headphone volume is not turned down or off.

I don't think there's a time limit on the free strap support replacement, but I'd get that done before selling it.

Cheers.