Advice on using XHA1s focus ring smoothly? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 14th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #1
New Boot

Advice on using XHA1s focus ring smoothly?

Hi all,

Getting to grips with manual features of the XHA1s and the focus ring is excellent.

Yet to work out how to tweak sensitivity (which I think might help), but does anyone have any advice on how to work the focus ring without knocking the camera at all?

Have tried fixing as solid as possible on tripod, but focusing from say 1m to infinity takes a few turns of the ring and inevitable I knock the camera a bit.

It's not possible to control focus via the remote, is it? Or does anyone have any pro tips?

Thanks in advance all :)
James Fryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Advice on using XHA1s focus ring smoothly?

You could use a LANC like the Manfrotto 521PROi (the link is correct but seems to have the wrong title): 190CX3 Manfrotto CF 3 Section Tripod w/Low Angle Adapter-No Q90 Center Column With a bit of Googling around it can be found rather cheaper.

I use it with the previous model, the XH-A1 and it works very well for focus and focal length control.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on using XHA1s focus ring smoothly?-manfrotto_520pro_i.jpg  
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 11:33 PM   #3
Inner Circle

+1. Yep agree with Col, after some practice they're great. Using the 523PROi on a Miller Compass 15 tripod I stand back and use the A1s LCD with a Hoodman hood modified to keep stray light out.

Outdoors on a bright sunny day turning the LCD contrast up helps too.

Cheers.
Old April 15th, 2011, 01:23 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks both, looks like just the thing. And cheaper than the official CANON ZR-2000 alternative too. :)
James Fryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #5
Trustee

You can also use the CANON ZR-1000 as well. I have this lanc controller & it works really well. Can't remember the differences between the two Canon models, but i find the 1000 great.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders