XH-A1 Problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 17th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #1
New Boot

XH-A1 Problem

I have been using an XH-A1 for the past 2 years and a few weeks ago the tape housing unit malfunctioned and I had to get it replaced ($800....ouch!). I was in the middle of a project so I bought a used XH-A1 off Craigslist that seemed to be in good shape. While on a shoot last week it was working fine but suddenly stopped....it will play video back but won't record anymore. The screen never comes up when I turn the record function on. I was doing some outdoor filming and had some "sun" shots in my panning....can this burn a lens? Don't know what else it could be. It was also a little windy...could dust/dirt have blown into the camera to cause this? Don't want to send this back to Canon unless I have to.

Thanks for any advice from you Experts!!!! :)
Scott Clements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: XH-A1 Problem

Check the "LOCK/STANDBY" switch on the right side rear of the tape deck. If it is in the "LOCK" position, the conditions you describe will prevail.
This is an 'undocumented feature' of the XH-A1 which is a common question answered by the Canon help line.
I had my XH-A1 three years before this happened to me.
Ed Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 10:17 PM   #3
New Boot

Hey Ed...That's the same button that you switch to "Standby" everytime you shoot something, right? I've tried this many times, but maybe it's just not engaging? Wondering if a little dust or sand might prevent this button from engaging....
Old April 18th, 2011, 03:30 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi

I answered another XH-A1 user this about two years ago. Below you will find what I wrote:

"I've had the same problem this summer. The camcorder suddenly just died. No matter how the switches where moved the camcorder was dead. Sometimes when I turned on the camcorder I could see that it received sound as the level indicator inside the ring moved. The zoom control on the right side worked (as I could see that the lens elemets moved) but not the ring or the controller on the handle.
In VCR mode, everything was working.

I sent the camcorder in for repair as it still was under guarantee. I also had contact with the repair man and he said that it was a simple problem. It was bad contact in a connector to the optical unit which made the camcorder unusable.

I don't know if you're having the same problem with your camcorder but as you describe the problem it's possible. I think this is a very bad sign as a bad connector inside the camcorder can stop it from working. It feels unreliable as it can happen anytime and there is no way to fix it in the field and it has to bee sent in for service.

Good luck with your camcorder!"

The funny thing is, I will remember that it also happend to my camcorder while I pointed it towards the sun during a shot.

Regards,

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks, Bo. Do you remember what the Canon charge was for fixing the connector? Hope it's simple as that, but....I'm leery about sending it to them unless it's the only option.
Old April 18th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #6
Major Player

Scott, I have never used the LOCK/STANDBY switch. I have a LANC controller that I plug in that has a big red START/STOP button.
How the LOCK/STANDBY switch got moved into the LOCK position that one time is still a mystery. :-)
Ed Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 02:51 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi

Well, as I remeber the problem showed up under warranty so I don't think it costed anything. According to the repair man, it was a simple job, just loosing and cleaning a cable. His explanation was that there is a connector between the main board and the optical housing. If this connection goes bad the camcorder won't startup in camcorder mode as it can't connect to the optical unit. I once opened the bottom of the camcorder by dismounting the plate underneath the camcorder, the plate where the tripod connects. Under that plate there is a connector where a flat cable is mounted and it might be that one. Try it on your own risk, use a small philips screwdriver of good quality, the scraws are tiny. It's not rocket science, just a couple of small screws and you are in.

Regards,

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders