Firewire Cables dilemma 4-4 or 4-beyond? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 23rd, 2011, 09:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Firewire Cables dilemma 4-4 or 4-beyond?

Hi. I have been capturing my xh a1 footage for the past few years with a firewire 4pin to 6pin cable into my firewire port on my desktop. I am thinking of degrading to a 4pin to 4pin cable and capturing to my laptop which has a 4pin input. Will I suffer any loss of quality? Is 4pin firewire cable good enough to handle the data transfer of my xh a1 and other hd camcorders? I am thinking of dropping the expensive tapes and capturing live to my laptop via Onlocation but with a 4pin firewire cable. Am worried about quality and the reliability.
Victor Boyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 10:07 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: Firewire Cables dilemma 4-4 or 4-beyond?

There will be absolutely no difference in image quality.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 10:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Even if there was a difference in quality, you can only use the 4-pin out of the camera, so you would have been hooped from the very beginning. But as Chris said, there is no difference.
Kevin Currie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 06:18 AM   #4
Major Player

To be specific, the four pin Firewire cable does not carry power -- the six pin does. So the only possible disadvantage is a bus powered device such as a hard drive will not find the power it needs.

FW400
4 - 4 is data only
4 - 6 is data only
6 - 6 is data and power

FW800
always uses the 9 pin connection though you can degrade the speed (but not the 'quality') of FW800 by using cables that combine four or six pin ends.

Cheers,
GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 07:11 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks guys! I thought there would be no quality difference. I assume same thing goes for the 9 pin since the camera only outputs the 4pin.

BTW, any of you record tapeless to laptop via Onlocation? I am seriously considering it for wedding ceremony and reception since I can save up to $100 on tapes per wedding.
Victor Boyko is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders