Automatic Image Stabilization at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 11th, 2011, 08:11 AM   #1
Major Player

Automatic Image Stabilization

I frequently read about turning off the Automatic Image Stabilization when using a tripod. Whats the benefit of this?
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Automatic Image Stabilization

Kevin:

I once noticed when moving the camera very quickly on the tripod and then allowing it to focus on my subject -- a couple of seconds later the image on the screen would move to the left or right.

This occurred continuously while filming in a live situation and switching from camera to camera -- Camera movement on the tripod would have to be fast/quick for this to occur.

I think I posted this experience/problem on a forum, asking for help with this perplexing issue -- the response I got was to turn off automatic image stabilization -- it worked.

Just my two cents, you may certainly never encounter such issues depending on how you film and move the camera.
Alex Lafkovici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 10:09 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: Automatic Image Stabilization

If your camcorder is on a tripod, it is unlikely that it is in need of image stabilization ... but any camcorder movement that you introduce, say a gentle creep pan, will be resisted by the stabilization system and so fight your intention. Typically, the system then recognizes you don't want that movement stabilized and releases it -- then tries again, then releases, repeat ... The result is a jerky pan, when you've done everything sensible to accomplish a smooth one. Except remember to turn off the stabilization ...

Cheers,
GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders