ext monitor on xha1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 22nd, 2011, 03:45 AM   #1
New Boot

ext monitor on xha1s

Hi, just getting to grips with my xha1s and am using a 7" ext monitor on the hot shoe. Works great but tho it has it's own battery pack my canon batteries (950 and 970) virtually drain within 2 hours and this is both standby and/or recording. Is this normal? Working without the monitor on is normal batt usage.As it's a sd monitor I'm using the A/V output to feed the video, Pete.
Pete Baratta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 02:13 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: ext monitor on xha1s

Not quite sure I understand the question, if there is one.

The batteries on the camera are/ are not powering the external screen (and if they are, how?)

I can't see why having the AV port plugged into the camera would drain the batteries of the camera.

This appears to be a non issue, having the screen powered by it's own battery cannot affect the battery life of the camera, simply not possible.

Wrong question, I'm afraid.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:25 AM   #3
New Boot

Re: ext monitor on xha1s

Sorry, bit confusing. The monitor has it's own battery pack which,when turned on just powers the "blue screen" and is waiting for a signal from the cam. Never used an external device before so didn't realize that the cam (even in stand-by mode) is using the cams battery just to create an image on the monitor....basics, right? I guess what I should do is keep the monitor off until I'm ready to actually tape the scene.
Pete Baratta is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders