DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   xha1 mic holder (Rant) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/504191-xha1-mic-holder-rant.html)

Scott Holchin January 7th, 2012 10:14 PM

xha1 mic holder (Rant)

Mic holder ripped off of camera when I was trying to mount my new ntg-1.
Screws stayed in camera but the mic holder ripped through the screws.
It makes me mad because the screws are ok and the holder is ok its just got to big of screw holes now.
Time to call Canon and order a new one.

Allan Black January 7th, 2012 10:30 PM

Re: xha1 mic holder (Rant)

Arrgghh! that's the bad news, however the good news is, you just buy the part and install it yourself.

But do you have the free replacement upgrade strap support on your A1? I think it's still available.

And if you haven't, there might be mileage in having both jobs done at your nearest Canon dealer.
If you've had your cam for more than 2yrs, get a service done to check it?

Cheers.

Chris Soucy January 8th, 2012 02:17 AM

Agreed.

CS

Jeffrey Fuchs January 10th, 2012 09:17 AM

I feel for you, on my 2 XH-A1 I went through 3 or 4! I think the part is $39. For me, the screw thread just went bad and broke in the housing.

John Stakes January 10th, 2012 01:10 PM

Bummer...I've literally babied my mic holder since the day I took the A1 out of the box!

Allen thanks for that info I was not aware that Canon was fixing the strap support. Mine broke during a shoot of course, the only flaw on an otherwise mint body. I repaired it on site with yellow gaff tape and I'm sure it will last longer than the plastic did...plus gives me a custom look.

JS

Allan Black January 10th, 2012 03:24 PM

Ah yes John, 'custom looks' are great :)

The free Canon strap support upgrade has been available for about 2yrs, go straight to your Canon supplier not through a shop, call first though. Check Joels sticky posted up top.

By the time of the A1S model, Canon had included it, along with a few other things including an audio limiter, which was my personal gripe with the A1.

That particular chip for the circuit would have cost Canon about $10ea by the many thousands.

Cheers.

Scott Holchin January 18th, 2012 06:22 PM

Now I got the new mic holder but it does not seam to fit right,I think maybe a piece of plastic is stuck inside the hole in the mic clip holder inside the camera. Now what do I do?
Should I just break off the nipple on the one side of the mic holder and screw it on.

Jan Luethje January 19th, 2012 05:05 AM

Scott, may be you could carefully drill the plastic out of the hole. May be...

I found a long lasting solution for that mic holder problem. When mine broke last october for the second time in 4 years, I went to the local Canon workshop, talked to the technician and suggested to replace the whole upper part of xh a1 handle incl. the mic holder by the corresponding part of the xh a1s - The guy was so gentle to give it a try - and it worked! Now I got the xha 1 with the 'S' Mic holder which seems to be rock solid.

Some weeks later, my strap support broke - replacement was still for free (nov 11')