What holds the settings in memory? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 20th, 2012, 07:41 PM   #1
Major Player

What holds the settings in memory?

I have noticed that some of my internal settings seem to be changing on their own. Does the A1 have a small battery that holds these internal settings in memory or is my A1 haunted?
Greg Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: What holds the settings in memory?

Hi, Greg.........

There is a built in Lithium rechargeable battery which holds the settings (says the manual, I don't believe it) & keeps the clock running. It's normally recharged each time you use the camera. However, in the event you only use the camera intermittently or don't use it at all for 3 months it could discharge completely.

That said, as the settings are held in some sort of Eprom, if the battery was flat, you or it (the camera) couldn't change any settings as there isn't any power to do so. You might lose the current time and date but that's about it.

If you have lost the time/ date, plug the (powered) external AC power adapter into the battery compartment and leave the camera switched OFF for 24 hours. That will recharge the battery.

If you're getting settings other than the time/ date altering, there's something else going on.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 06:35 AM   #3
Wrangler

Re: What holds the settings in memory?

Per the user manual (page 126, Setting Retained at Power Off or Stand-by), If the internal rechargable button battery loses charge, in addition to forgettng time, many of the internal settings will be lost (probably returning to factory default) values.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders