Computer Not detecting My XHA1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 24th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #1
New Boot

Computer Not detecting My XHA1

Ok this may be long but its kind of urgent... i film hunts and just purchased a used XHA1. I love the video camera however I cannot seem to get my computer to detect that it is hooked up... I've asked on other sites (ask.com and others) and I cannot get an actual helpful answer... I am running a dell optiplex with windows xp. the firewire care (which i purchased) is a Vantec UGT-FW05 4-Port Firewire 400 PCI Host Card. I installed the port and have already checked to see if it is running correctly (which it is) I have done all my windows updates... I have turned on my AVS4YOU video recorder to see if it picks it up(which it doesn't)... The camera has been turned on and set to the vcr mode... I have also messed with the signal settings changing auto to hdv and then to dv and back, and turned av-dv on and off... The camcorder recognizes that it is hooked up as it shows the blinking HDV/DV IN... I don't know what else to do the camcorder is working fine... the firewire cord is brand new as with the port card..... the firewire is the 4pin-6pin... I am not very camcorder savy but i know how to read a manual and google information and have yet to find a fix... there are no drivers for the Canon XHA1 on their site, I thought maybe that was the problem... Im kinda stuck here guys can someone help me out... I would even be willing to talk over the phone to get this fixed I need to edit my film Thanks all
Josh Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: Computer Not detecting My XHA1

Hi Josh,

If the camcorder indicates HDV/DV IN, then that is the problem -- that indicates that the camera is set up to *receive* a signal over FireWire. You want it to go in the other direction. I haven't messed with an XH A1 in awhile, but I'm confident that one of our regular members will be along shortly to help you out with this... welcome aboard,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #3
Inner Circle

What video editing program are you running on your Dell, is it Windows XP Movie Maker? Make sure you always connect everything up, before you turn ALL the gear on, the A1 FW port is very fragile in that regard. Hopefully your FW cable is a reliable brand name, not an elcheapo off ebay.

You might d/load the trial version of the latest Sony Vegas Movie Studio, to get going, and if you intend to do a lot of this work, you'll probably need an external hard drive to speed things up and store all the footage on. The necessary computer specs are listed on this Vegas site and the Vegas forum here is very active and helpful.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiope

Cheers.
Old May 24th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #4
New Boot

i tried movie maker but no my main video editor is AVS4YOU... as i stated previously the FW card is Vantec UGT-FW05 4-Port Firewire 400 PCI Host I bought it through walmart for $15 ... I don't believe that the flashing HDV/DV IN is showing it receiving because i watched a youtube video that showed the gentleman uploading the video with it flashing that... shouldn't windows ding when i connect the camcorder to it like its excepting a new program because i don't even get that
Old May 24th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Well failing everything else, d/load that Vegas trial but study the computer specs needed first .. then try asking for help on the Vegas forum here.
In fact check through the Vegas archives now, there may be something there that helps.

Cheers.
Old May 24th, 2012, 06:30 PM   #6
New Boot

i still don't think its a capture issue though... the camcorder is responding as if it is hooked up to a computer by showing me the hdv/dv in... could it possibly be that i have a low end FW card? I don' t have any other computers to try it with so ill d/l the vegas as you said but I did look up the compatability of the AVS4YOU sofware and hdv film and it is supposed to work... just aggrevating
Old May 24th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Well failing everything else, try that Vegas trial but study the computer specs needed first .. then try asking for help on the Vegas forum here.
Check through the Vegas archives now, there maybe something there that helps.

Cheers.
Old May 24th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi, Josh............

If you get HDV/ DV IN on the LCD but no dee - dum "device detected", it sounds like the camera FW port can tell it's attached to the PC FW port, but Windows can't see the camera through the port.

Sounds like a drivers issue. Did the card come with it's own drivers disc or are you using the XP defaults?

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #9
New Boot

card didn't come with a disc so just using the windows defaults
Old May 24th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Have you checked in device manager to see if there is a problem with the card?

CS
Old May 24th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #11
Major Player

Hey Josh ,

I had the same problem and this is what I did to resolve the issue:

Click on control panel go to device manager locate your Firewire Port right click on it and go to properties
then change the setting to ( Legacy) that should fix your problem.

Good luck!
Old May 24th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #12
New Boot

I can't find where to change it to legacy... ive right clicked on my computer and went to manage, then device manager, then hit the + next to the VIA OHCI IEEE 1394 Host Controller and right clicked the card and went to properties and can't find a way to switch it to legacy on any of the tabs can you be a little more detailed
Old May 25th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #13
Inner Circle

XP doesn't have the ability to do what Matthew suggested.

In Device Manager, are there any Yellow circles with a "!" inside, against any device?

If there is, then XP has a problem with that device.

If that device happens to be your new Firewire card, it isn't talking to XP.

Are there any such Yellow circles?

CS
Old May 25th, 2012, 02:07 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Whoops, double post.

CS
Old May 25th, 2012, 03:41 AM   #15
New Boot

there are no problems between the card and computer, it just says that it is working properly
Josh Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders