The end of an era... XH-A1S discontinued? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 8th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

The end of an era... XH-A1S discontinued?

Looking around on B&H last night I see the Canon XH-A1S is now 'discontinued'.... wonder if this is a mistake or really true... :(

A truely remarkable camera.... even though its tape... it still has its place.... maybe sales dropped off to the point where it was no longer worth it?
Old July 8th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: The end of an era... XH-A1S discontinued?

In Belgium there is only one online store that thas the xh-a1s in stock at a reduced price which is a bit cheaper then a sony nx30 f.i. Although you get much more camera for that price I would choose the small sony over the xh-a1 if I had to choose today.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 01:30 AM   #3
Major Player

if i was a mechanic, i'd hot rod an XH-A1 with an XA10 or XF engine and paint a racing stripe on the side. and put some mags on. and fuzzy dice...
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 06:47 AM   #4
Major Player

Technology marches on. I'm sure there's zero demand for tape based cameras right now.
Mark Koha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 09:17 AM   #5
Inner Circle

The store I mentioned also has several other tapebased camera's in stock, like the fx1000, z5, z7, xl-h1, xh-g1.. but they all are at a very high pricepoint, quite stupid if you see that their replacements cost the same or sometimes less, I don't think anyone with the cash will be spending that much on 4 to 6 year old technology. All other known videostores have cleared their shelves and only new models are available now.
Old July 9th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #6
Major Player

well I will be hanging on to my Two Xh-a1 cameras for as long as I can, I still love them and the fact that they are CCD is a bonus. they still capture stunning footage.
Old July 9th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #7
Wrangler

The Canon XH cameras are still listed on the Canon USA web site.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I wonder if B&H made a mistake then... ???

I too love my pair of XH-A1S cameras.... they produce stunning footage in trained hands...
Old September 25th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Koha View Post
Technology marches on. I'm sure there's zero demand for tape based cameras right now.
Yes it's diminishing fast now ... http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-bla...etic-tape.html

But because of the huge demand in third world countries, magnetic tape itself will be around for quite a while yet.

Last year in Capetown South Africa, I saw a retail music shop with a giant wall of music audio cassettes opposite a medium size wall of CDs and CDroms, those were mostly home grown. DVDs not so much.

Cheers.
Old September 26th, 2012, 05:25 AM   #10
Wrangler

The XH-A1s, XH-G1s, Vixia HV40, and GL2 are still listed as current products on Canon's USA web page (CANONDV.COM).
Old September 27th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #11
Major Player

From my research the XH-A1 has no fantastic replacement that is cost effective and does the job exceptionally well. Sad!
Greg Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #12
Inner Circle

The xf100 is close in price compared to what the xh-a1 was, eventhough it has a better image, a better codec, it lacks too many controls the xh-a1 has, next in line is the xf300 which has all the bells and whistles but that's twice the price. My guess is that Canon will release a xf200 one day (sounds logical too me) that could be a worthy replacement but probably be quite expensive still.
Old September 28th, 2012, 02:13 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Clark View Post
From my research the XH-A1 has no fantastic replacement that is cost effective and does the job exceptionally well. Sad!
I agree, and there are many good preloved A1 and A1 esses on the 2nd hand market from users who've rushed off to follow the masses.

That's what the manufacturers project all their marketing for. One day they might say, 'we give up, we can't get a better picture, sorry it's all over.
What will they/we do then?

One thing would be to write better scripts, I wish.

Cheers.
Old September 28th, 2012, 05:40 AM   #14
Wrangler

An XF200 - now there is a thought - a camcorder with two sensors (not one or three), one for the luma, the other with filters for the chroma - physical 422!
Old November 5th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I am a huge fan of my XH-A1 (I have two of them actually.)

I know someday I will have to get something else, but I'm good for a while longer.

I'm curious about the compatibility of XH-A1 tapes with other decks?

As I've understood things all my tapes should just fine in other HDV desk/cameras witht he exception of my 24p tapes which will only play in a Canon desk/camera.

Does that sound right?

Last edited by Charlie Durand; November 5th, 2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: fixed typos
Charlie Durand is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders