XH-A1 playback issue question. Please Help - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 24th, 2012, 09:26 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: XH-A1 playback issue question. Please Help

Any technology can fail. I used to work in labs where some of the equipment cost more than my house, and instruments would go down for various reasons. So, I learned the value of redundancy.

I shoot both to tape and an external recorder with my Canon XH-A1S and older Canon XH-A1. I've experienced occasional tape problems, and occasional problems with the recorder, but thankfully, both have never failed at the same time.

Lately, I've begun to suspect that quality control is starting to slip in the manufacturing process of the tapes. In a previous batch of 20 (Sony) tapes, 4 boxes of 5, I had two bad tapes. Both were from the same box. I don't know if the "batch" of twenty I bought all came from the same manufactured "batch." However, since the two tapes came from the same box, they were from the same batch.

I had switched from Panasonic to Sony back in 2008 because of several tape failures. I went almost a full three years until the same thing happened with Sony. Now, it's been more than a year without the problem recurring. I suspect your 3 bad tapes all came from the same manufacturing batch and slipped through whatever QC checks Panasonic employs at their plant.

Last edited by Roger Van Duyn; August 24th, 2012 at 09:27 AM. Reason: typos
Roger Van Duyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 03:48 AM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
The playback problem occurs in the same place on each tape. I have tried the tapes in my other XHA1 and 2 different HV30's. Same problem in the same place on each tape.
Sounds like bad batch of tape. That it is on several tapes at the same point implies a manufacturing defect in the sheet from which the tapes were cut. (Tape is produced in wide sheets and then split to width, several tapes coming from the same sheet.

Higher priced tape within the same product line and source should have better quality control, but nothing is 100%.
Old August 27th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #18
Major Player

I've been having the same problem. I bought my last 5 pack of tapes about 4 months ago, and the camera started glitching. I thought it was just the camera, but now I'm not so sure. All 5 of the new tapes have the playback issue. Never had the problem before. It happens at random times, 60i, 30F, Maual, Auto, AV. Out of the 5 tapes I had about 1/4 with the glitch. It could be a bad batch. I may buy one new tape just to check, but I can't trust tapes anymore, I lost too much time and good footage. I put the camera on the shelf and am checking around for an external recorder so I can use the camera again with confidence.
I've used the same Sony tapes for 4 years and have been through about 35 of them.
The first photo has the bad 2012 tape on the right and a good 2008 tape on the left. Looks like the design has changed. The second photo is also from an '08 tape. Can anyone else compare the design of their tapes with these photos?

Attached Thumbnails
XH-A1 playback issue question. Please Help-p1080230.jpg   XH-A1 playback issue question. Please Help-p1080245.jpg  

Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #19
Inner Circle

I guess this problem will only get worse, maybe because some major suppliers that produced tapes in the past, and that did extensive quality control, have stopped producing and production has shifted to "cheaper" supplier that don't invest that much in quality control anymore? Maybe buying and using cheaper materials to save on cost, make more profit.

An external recorder is by far the best solution, I stopped trusting tapes some years ago.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #20
Wrangler

Quote:
I stopped trusting tapes some years ago.
FWIW: tape is still the preferred back-up media for data, and for archive purposes. It is boring and it works.

Tapes do tend to have dropouts, However, one can usually edit around a drop out.
Bit it is unusual for a tape to fail totally. (On the other hadn user failure - e.g., failure to do maintenance on the camcorder or to spot check tape performance during use, is common.)

I have encountered enough issues with SDHC/CF memory to trust them less than I trust tape. Tough to edit around a failed SDHC/CF card.
Old September 5th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #21
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post

It is possible, if occurances become more and more often, that it indicates a pinch roller wear problem or other issue with the deck, but I've never seen a documented instance where that has definitely been fingered as the culprit.

CS
Sent the camera to Canon. It was a BAD PINCH ROLLER. So, Chris....there's your first documented instance as this the culprit.
Jay Jelliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Well, stuff me, it's been proved, yipee!

Someone's finally nailed another reason for this problem and actually documented it here on DVinfo.

You cannot imagine how pleased I am to hear, er, see, that the worn pinch roller scenario is true.

I think you should ask the mods to rename this thread "Worn pinch roller results in BSOD" or similar so it can be found, hey, these cameras will be around for years yet.

Heck, I've got 4 of them, and they aren't going anywhere, anytime soon.

Bloody well done, Jay, for reporting back here with that news, greatly appreciaed, by me especially, as I've taken such a keen interest in this problem since I first became aware of it.

Glad you've got a working camera back.

CS
Chris Soucy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 06:52 AM   #23
Tourist

I had what looks like the same problem. I sent it to Canon and got it back a few weeks ago. They indicated on the paperwork that it was a misaligned tape path.

The repair cost was about $250.00.
Brian Carlisle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders