DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Still displaying the icon tape dirty (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/511048-still-displaying-icon-tape-dirty.html)

Larry Secrest September 29th, 2012 08:06 AM

Still displaying the icon tape dirty

Hello,

I've had a message on my LCD, I have an XH A1 saying the heads were dirty. Cleaned the heads with a tape. The heads are fine and the cam doesn't seem to have a problem. I really can see the heads are fine. I don't have the red message coming up in the LCD anymore, but the LCD still displays the woman's head that come up when the heads were dirty. I believe my heads are not dirty. Does the icon needs to be reset?

You know what I'm talking about, it's a woman's head with a speckle in her hair!
Thanks
Larry

Larry Secrest September 29th, 2012 03:10 PM

Re: Still displaying the icon tape dirty

Actually, after watching my footage on a high def 27 inch monitor, it's grainy all the time and the colors are wrong. Does it mean the heads are dying on me?

Allan Black September 29th, 2012 07:38 PM

Yo Larry, can't say I've ever seen a woman's head with speckle in her hair on my A1s.

Are you using a new DV head cleaning tape, the same brand as your DV recording tape?

Try a camera reset, check the procedure in your cams manual first tho.

If that doesn't fix things, enquire about sending it in to Canon for a service.

I doubt your heads are worn out, but are you the original owner and how old is your cam?

Cheers.

Chris Soucy September 29th, 2012 10:55 PM

Er, Larry.................

I think you can stand down from Def Con 6, at least from my investigation.

It would seem, from a thorough scrute of the manual with a very powerfull magnifying glass, that the icon you're seeing is actualy the one for having, however inadvertantly, activated the "Skin Detail" function as described on page 63 of the (PAL) manual, and again on page 72 with regard to "Custom Presets".

Quite what effect that would have on the other tones and colours is a mystery to me, but simply turn it off and you should be ready to rock and roll.

CS

Larry Secrest September 30th, 2012 05:34 AM

Chris,

Actually you're right! Yesterday I decided to ingest the manual and when I arrived at Skin Detail I thought, nah, don't need to look at that, and for some reason I decided to and...voila.
My problem is I have no idea how I could have turned that on. As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure I didn't. It's really a mystery to me how that icon appeared in the LCD.
But great, I'm back!

Allan Black September 30th, 2012 03:13 PM

Larry, well then, consider doing a full camera reset, especially if your A1 is over 2yrs old.

Follow the manuals instructions and note any custom presets you've installed, the reset will delete them and set the internals back to *factory fresh*
and you reinstal them.

If you use your A1 frequently do this every 12 months, cleans all the gremlins out :)

If your A1 does NOT have the free Canon replacement handgrip support, get them to update it ..
if you send it in for service.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...isSecure=false .... 6th article down the list.

That's a real plus when you come to sell the cam.

Cheers.

Don Palomaki October 1st, 2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Secrest (Post 1755912)
Actually, after watching my footage on a high def 27 inch monitor, it's grainy all the time and the colors are wrong. Does it mean the heads are dying on me?

Not likely on a HDV camcorder. Grain usually indicates shooting in marginal light conditions, or gain being high. Poor light can also cause colors to be "off." Worn out heads will more likely cause digital block errors.