DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XH-A1 in cold weather (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/513895-xh-a1-cold-weather.html)

Paul Elertson January 30th, 2013 10:51 AM

XH-A1 in cold weather

So I did a decent amount of research before I dared taking my xh-a1 out in the cold. And now that I have done it, here are my results.

1/20/13
1 degree Fahrenheit with a below zero wind chill. (not snowing)
- Monitor screen had a pretty bad ghosting effect. but I was still able to the shots I needed.
- Battery life was decreased, but not too bad.
- My fluid head tripod hated the cold! Could only pan very slowly.
- I was very carefully about slowly bringing the camera down to temp and back up to normal temp.

1/27/13
20 degrees Farenheit with little wind. (snowing)
- No monitor ghosting
- Battery Life seemed normal
- Snow messed with the autofocus a bit, but I was still able to manage.
- Tripod worked normally

1 degree day video.

20 degree day video.

Don Palomaki January 30th, 2013 02:14 PM

Re: XH-A1 in cold weather

Interesting! Thanks.

The published specification for the camcorder and battery is 32F-104F (0C to 40C).

Some folks have reported using rain covers and perhaps hand warmers and the like insidfe with their hadns to help insulate the camcorder and improve cold environment performance, or at least extend available use time before it gets too cold to operate well. The hood will allow the camcorder to retain its warmth a bit longer. e.g., the Kata CRC-12 PL

There is probably little need to allow the camcorder to cool down to outdoor temperatures before you start to shoot. However, bringing a cold camcorder indoors invites condensation and shoudl be managed.

Personally, I suspect near the big fireplace in the ski lodge is a more interesting environment, especially with the right companionship.

Paul Elertson February 1st, 2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Palomaki (Post 1776185)
Interesting! Thanks.

Some folks have reported using rain covers and perhaps hand warmers and the like insidfe with their hadns to help insulate the camcorder and improve cold environment performance, or at least extend available use time before it gets too cold to operate well. The hood will allow the camcorder to retain its warmth a bit longer. e.g., the Kata CRC-12 PL

I should invest in a cover, but I did not have one while filming this. Nor did I have any hand warmers.
I just shielded the camcorder with my jacket on the snowy day whenever I could to keep it dry...ish

Panagiotis Raris February 4th, 2013 01:49 PM

nice! and great content too! i dont believe i used mine below freezing, but i did use it in fog and damp rain at 40 degrees. covered best i could.

Trond Saetre February 7th, 2013 05:30 AM

For filming in the cold, I have now used a Portabrace heat cover for both a Canon XM/GL2 and a XF300 for several years, and I can very much recommend these covers.
Even with temperatures as low as -20C and 30mph winds, the temperature inside the heat cover stays above freezing point. (And it keeps my hands warm too).

Don Palomaki February 7th, 2013 06:17 AM

Here is a pointed to a selection
Polar Bear Cases| B&H Photo Video