Truecolor when mixing XH-G1s / HV40? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 27th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Truecolor when mixing XH-G1s / HV40?

I have a question concerning presets.

I have an XH-G1s and an HV40, both PAL (I live in Europe). However outdated they are, I will be using them for a project which I am now preparing to shoot. I cannot afford to spend thousands of euros on a new camera, as I am basically just a hobbyist trying to make my footage look as good as possible and hopefully tell an interesting story.

As an alternative to HDV, I plan to use the Blackmagic HyperDeck Shuttle v2 set to ProRes 422 HQ, but I will probably also use tape as backup.

The project is a documentary. The scenes will be cityscapes, streets, parks and buildings mostly outside in daylight. A few scenes will be interiors, hopefully well-lit. There will be a number of one-on-one interviews.

I will be doing the shooting myself or, if I'm lucky, with a soundperson for boom mic'ing. I will do at least 75% of the shots with the XH-G1s but there might be a few situations where I want to use the HV40 because it is smaller and lighter - for instance for a shot from a scooter where I will sit behind the driver.

Knowing that I might have to blend shots from both cameras, is it a good idea to use the neutral Truecolor preset (discussed in other threads here) in the XH-G1s?

I did read this piece of advice for mixing footage from the two cameras:
Settings to match XH-A1 and HV30 Footage | L.A. Color Pros Blog
- but he is using the OUTSIDEN preset in the XH-A1 and I am not particularly keen on using that. I tried it last weekend and it seemed to me to be somewhat greenish.

I plan to edit in FCP7.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Peter
Peter Adler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 06:30 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Truecolor when mixing XH-G1s / HV40?

Hi

My experience from my, now non-functioning, HV20 is to NOT use Cinema mode. It degrades resolution and makes red color strange. Perhaps the same for the HV40.

Regards,

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 08:59 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Truecolor when mixing XH-G1s / HV40?

Thanks, Bo!

I agree. In fact, on the HV40, I am hoping not to use any other settings than the 25p shooting mode, set the shutter to 1/50 in shutter priroty mode and try to prevent auto-gain from being applied by locking the exposure before gain potentially becomes an issue.

However, does this mean I should not use any preset on the XH-G1s or would it be OK to use "Truecolor"?

I suppose some colour correction needs to be applied in post anyway, so there doesn't seem to be much point in trying to get similar-looking footage straight out of both cameras?

Best regards,
Peter
Peter Adler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders