DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XHA1 is still a good camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/518595-xha1-still-good-camera.html)

Kevin Lewis August 29th, 2013 08:37 AM

XHA1 is still a good camera

So I have been shooting with a dslr for a while, along with a few of the other new cameras. For some reason I had my self convinced that the XHA1 is no longer a viable choice. Well last week I shot with it for the first time in about a year. Theres been so much talk about the newer cameras that some of us forgot that this camera still produces a grerat picture under good lighting. As a matter of fact, it kind of has that same flat picture that allows for color correction in post. Its no different than when most of shoot with a flat setting on a dslr so that we can grade in post. I think I will hold onto this camera especailly since the resale value of it has dropped significantly.

Woody Sanford August 29th, 2013 09:34 AM

Re: XHA1 is still a good camera

I just saw a local add for wedding videographers and it required experience with the XHA1. I'm sure it will still be a workhorse for sometime in several fields. I know technology marches on but I think there are several cameras that will hold a position for work regardless of what technology does and the XHA1 is definitely one of them.

Roger Van Duyn August 29th, 2013 01:07 PM

I really like both my XH-A1 and my newer XH-A1S. Having a matched pair of cameras to shoot with makes it so much easier color matching in post. The three control rings and all the buttons have really spoiled me. To get two ergonomically comparable card based cameras would have been prohibitively expensive for me right now. So, I've recently added two DataVideo DN-60s to my kit, along with several CF cards, rechargable batteries and charger (8 AAs at a time). Plus, the M2T files will work on my older editing PC that I keep for a spare, not just the main editing PC.

To get a pair of new XF 300s or 305s, with a wide angle adapter, rain gear, and batteries, or something comparable from Sony, JVC, or Panasonic would have been around $15K. As it is, my upgrade for the two A1s came to under $15 hundred.

Noa Put August 29th, 2013 02:07 PM

I sold mine beginning this year, realy enjoyed the camera, only not when the lights went down. :)

Peter Adler August 30th, 2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Van Duyn (Post 1810444)
To get two ergonomically comparable card based cameras would have been prohibitively expensive for me right now.

+1

Same for me! Even if I could afford it, the filming I do couldn't justify it.

Cheers,
Peter

Dave Barnes August 31st, 2013 07:03 AM

Agreed... I have two XH-A1s cameras, and my XL-H1A that I shoot recitals and community theatre with and they produce amazing images once you master them!

For me I really cannot see spending the $$$ for the XF series... (although don't get me wrong I would love to... ) when these cameras are still working fine...

The only thing I worry about is tapes... I wonder how long till they cease to be available? ....

Peter Adler September 1st, 2013 02:05 AM

Dave, if getting tape becomes a problem, don't you think a CompactFlash recorder could be a good solution for you?

FWIW, I haven't had any information from my tape dealer in The Netherlands that Panasonic AY-DVM63AMQ is running low. I usually buy 10x5 cassettes at a time.

Cheers,
Peter

Dave Barnes September 2nd, 2013 01:32 PM

Hi Pete -
Yes you are correct..... next logical step would probably be the Focus Enhancements FS-CFpro or whatever its called ... (specifically for the Canon cameras) .

I really like tape though... the instance archiving and the piece of mind are priceless! :)

Don Palomaki September 3rd, 2013 05:06 AM

Quote:

I really like tape though... the instance archiving and the piece of mind are priceless! :)
Amen. Started to re-edit a 2-hour project shot in 1994 on Hi8 and VHS. No problem capturing once I ran the VHS through a TBC (actually use a Videonics MX1-Pro) to clean it up.

Terry Wall September 3rd, 2013 10:59 AM

Kevin, I still have my XH-A1, too! I shot a wedding a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised how well the footage from it matched with the footage I shot with my Lumix GH2. The ceremony itself was outdoor and the two cams together worked great. When I went into a tent for the evening parts of the day, however, I had to let the Canon go, and shoot with 2 GH2's.

Re tape: I have plenty of tapes...bought 50 of the Panasonic AY-DVM83AMQ's (I love that extra 20 minutes of tape!), and another 50 AY-HDVM63AMQ's, as I figured they'd get scarce, once the move to SD and CF cards gained momentum. I may, though, look at the DataVideo recorder, as it seems to get good reviews from the gang on this forum.

Steven Reid September 3rd, 2013 08:51 PM

I'm editing my very last project that I shot on my XH-A1. Daylight footage looks gorgeous, but early evening and on it just falls apart, and NeatVideo can work miracles only to a point. It is a bittersweet experience, but I've moved onto a Sony NEX FS-700. Hardly a fair comparison of cameras, yet I'm still impressed with the images from the A1.

Roger Van Duyn September 4th, 2013 07:06 AM

I shot a destination (beach) wedding over the labor day weekend with my two XH's and DN-60s. Around sundown while shooting the reception under the pavilion, I did need to use my Z 96 LCD lights. Since they had dimmers, no one complained. Looking at the footage, it's fine. In my experience, just adding a little light is all that's necessary.

Peter Adler September 4th, 2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Reid (Post 1811177)
...early evening and on it just falls apart

Steven, I am afraid I have to agree. I shot some footage of a community meeting in a poorly lit basement last night with my XH G1s. Even when adding an extra light source, a Dynacore DTR-800W (dubbed "mandarine" in French), and shooting at gain +3dB, I was constantly underexposing a stop or so.

The footage is not unusable, but I was a bit disappointed when I watched some of it directly from the Blackmagic HDS2 after the meeting. And I also think the video looks way too grainy for being shot at only +3dB. Maybe it has something to do, also, with the "TRUECOLOR" preset I was using...

Cheers,

Peter

John Richard September 6th, 2013 10:03 AM

Download Black Magic's Resolve Lite (free) and try pulling up the Highlights and Midtones.
It might make the footage very usable - worth a try.

Peter Adler September 6th, 2013 01:14 PM

Thanks, John, I will definitely give this a try. Is pulling up highlights and midtones particularly recommended because of my use of the "TRUECOLOR" preset (much discussed in several other threads) or because of the +3dB gain?

Regards,
Peter