Which SSD capture - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 28th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Which SSD capture

If you're on a tripod, another option is to shoot with Adobe's OnLocation directly to a laptop. They stopped selling it at CS 5.5, but it really is an excellent option. This is how I shoot all my concert videos, with a laptop modified to hang below the legs of the tripod.
Chris DeVoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Sorry for jumping back in so late. Chris, that's a really interesting solution. How do you actually attach the laptop to the tripod? Does OL auto-start capturing when you press record on the cam? If not, how do you manage to start/stop OL?

Peter
Peter Adler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 02:55 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Adler View Post
Sorry for jumping back in so late. Chris, that's a really interesting solution. How do you actually attach the laptop to the tripod? Does OL auto-start capturing when you press record on the cam? If not, how do you manage to start/stop OL?

Peter
Sorry it took me so long to reply...

I use a HP Elitebook, a rugged laptop with a metal case. I took it apart and drilled holes in the four corners of the bottom and mounted metal cable tie blocks, and threaded rings through those. I have a loop of parachute cord that runs through all the rings, and that loops over the knobs that tighten the legs on my Bogen tripods.

I start recording at the beginning of a concert, and I can hit the record button again at any point during a recording to make separate files for different sections.

One of the things I love about my solution is that I have one less camera's media to transfer. My editing choice is Edius, and I can drag the file that OnLocation captured directly onto the timeline.
Chris DeVoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 10:38 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Secrest View Post
Thanks, everybody.
From what I can understand now, the Black Magic device needs several adapter. It's cheaper upfront, but I'm not sure it's the best solution.
I'm leaning in favor of either the DN-60s, or the VITEC FS-H200 Pro Portable Compact Flash DTE Recorder.
I've just discover that Canon does have a solution called: Canon FS-CF Pro Portable Compact Flash DTE Recorder.
Larry, can you report back on what you ended up purchasing and how it's working for you?
Old January 11th, 2014, 04:01 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Chris, Chris, Cynthia, Larry, Erick, Noa, Mark, Roger, and all other members: Happy Filming in 2014!

Chris DV: sounds like a nice setup! Would love to see a pic :-)

Yes, Larry, I'm also curious to know if you managed to go tapeless with one of these recorders?
Peter Adler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 08:34 AM   #21
Major Player

Hey Peter.

Chris's post gave me ideas for mounting my old Shure M267 mixer.
Old January 13th, 2014, 11:11 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Roger, yes, this setup gave me the idea of mounting my Blackmagic HyperDeck Shuttle2 to the tripod instead of on the camera. (I did buy the mounting plate). I would love to see a photo of Chris' setup because it sounds very sturdy. Did you succeed in making a good mounting solution for the Shure?
Peter Adler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders