DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Major Canon video annoncements comming! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/71386-major-canon-video-annoncements-comming.html)

Jos Svendsen July 13th, 2006 04:57 AM

Major Canon video annoncements comming!

My mole in Canon has leaked that two video related announcements are comming up.

The first one is comming 26th of july. The second is comming 2nd of August.

I have (unfortunately) no idea of what they are announcing except for the statement:

Quote:

The announcement will take place with assistance from the well known video guru from dvinfo.net - Christian Hord.
It makes you wonder, sort of ;^)

Graham Bernard July 13th, 2006 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jos Svendsen

It makes you wonder, sort of ;^)

"The announcement will take place with assistance from the well known video guru from dvinfo.net - Christian Hord. "

Eh? Chris Hurd . . Christian Hord . . Chris Hurd . . Christian Hord . . Chris Hurd . . Christian Hord . .

Anybody else see the similarity?

Jos .. stop "Jos-hing"

Seessshh.. my BP wont take it!!!

Jos Svendsen July 13th, 2006 05:51 AM

ahh - some day I will be found strangled with the strap of a GL3 DVD HDV (HDVD?) camcorder due to my barouqe sense of humour.

JOSS't a kid.

Bob Zimmerman July 13th, 2006 09:38 AM

Here it is:

Canon is proud to annouce they will continue the GL2 until 2009. The $250 rebate will go on.

Zack Vohaska July 13th, 2006 09:42 AM

Well...

I'm not going to set my hopes too high, but...if this is true, I might burst an artery in my excitement over the announcement of one or more HD camcorders. Being that we know that Canon said the XL2 was their last SD camcorder, I wonder what Canon has been up to in developing HD technology. I'd love to see a GL3/GL-H1, and perhaps a higher end camera that shoots DVCPRO HD (perhaps P2?).

Anyone have any predictions as to what the news will be?

EDIT: Bob, that wouldn't surprise me.

Philip Williams July 13th, 2006 10:19 AM

Looking at the last couple months of activity on the consumer front, I'm expecting that the entire Elura/Optura/DVD line will be consolidated into one exciting 1/4.5" single CCD DVD camcorder called the "Etura".

OK, seriously, this is about the time that Canon anounces new toys, so I have been looking out this month for any news from them. I still fully and completely expect an Optura HDV cam. MSRP $1,199. I'm thinking something along the size of the Xi and with similar features. And yes, the GL2 successor should be around the corner of course.

Now, I know its not going to happen, but wouldn't it just be a huge marketing move to put a progressive scan CCD/CMOS on that new Optura that can be clocked at 48hz and provide true 24P? Ah yes, Area 51 for sure.

www.philipwilliams.com

Jos Svendsen July 13th, 2006 11:25 AM

And just one more bit of info from my Canon mole - Deep focus.

Take a peek at this link http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/07...onic/index.php
pls. note at the end that Canon is an active supporter of this format.

Interesting eh?

Bob Zimmerman July 13th, 2006 12:31 PM

could just be a consumer model. Might be kind of cool to see it go on a GL3 or the DVX100, plus have the tape drive. At least we might see native 16:9 on them,,,

Jos Svendsen July 19th, 2006 11:11 AM

Ok - now Sony has played their cards. AVCHD consumer camcorders! They are clearly going for the crowd with a HD tv set, that does not like computers.

A lot consumers like DVD camcorders because you not need a computer to edit, and it is hassle free to view the video. Take the disc out, put it in the DVD-player, and you are all set. No computer, no NLE, no problems,

The harddisk-cams have editing posibilities and most of them is seen as cost effective, because you do not have to invest in tapes. So the notion is thar you buy the cam, edit out all the bad bits, and then you have a vault of premium shots that you connect to your tv using HDMI.

I guess that the first Blu Ray recorders from Sony will give you a possibility to record from the harddisk-cams, thus conserving the content from the harddisk.

Now Canon does not have any Blu Ray, harddisk recorders etc etc to protect, so I'll gues that the HDGL3 will be able to record HDV directly on a DVD, and be targetet to the high end prosumers, than can live with the short recording time of the media. And it might be switchable to AVCHD just to keep the consumers happy.

Hmmm ... am I beginning to sound like the guy from SuperVideo.com?

Just one more peek in the cristal ball. Hmm... Denver Broncos wins superbowl, Canon merges with Sony, Avid is bought by Apple and a green flash is seen on Mars...

Steven Davis July 19th, 2006 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Zimmerman
Here it is:

Canon is proud to annouce they will continue the GL2 until 2009. The $250 rebate will go on.

That is so funny, but kind of sad really.

Greg Boston July 19th, 2006 11:33 AM

Quote:

Just one more peek in the cristal ball. Hmm... Denver Broncos wins superbowl, Canon merges with Sony, Avid is bought by Apple and a green flash is seen on Mars...

Jos, there is a well known brand of tobacco sold here in the U.S. called Copenhagen. I'm thinking the version they are selling you in Copenhagen has a little something extra in it.

I can believe any of that last statement except Denver Broncos winning the Superbowl. (big grin)

Just kidding around folks, I don't want any hate mail about how the Denver Broncos are a great team. I know this already.

-gb-

Kevin Shaw July 19th, 2006 11:50 AM

Quote:

I'll gues that the HDGL3 will be able to record HDV directly on a DVD, and be targetet to the high end prosumers, than can live with the short recording time of the media. And it might be switchable to AVCHD just to keep the consumers happy.

My prediction is a "GL-H1" recording HDV to miniDV tape in a camera which looks like the GL2 (but bigger), followed by an HDV version of the Optura line. Makes sense for them to release these now that they've recovered some development money from people buying the XL-H1.

Any Canon AVC cameras won't ship until 2008-09. Why rush now?

Paul Rickford July 20th, 2006 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
My prediction is a "GL-H1" recording HDV to miniDV tape in a camera which looks like the GL2 (but bigger), followed by an HDV version of the Optura line.

I sure hope so, been waiting 18 months for a GL3 HDV, tape is still good for me.

Christopher Brown July 20th, 2006 06:51 AM

XM2 Discontinued

I went into my local dealer yesterday to enquire about purchasing an XM2 and he said that they were just discontinued by Canon and they have only two coming in that they ordered just before Canon told them - one of which is already sold.

If this is really the case than the XM3/GL3 must be going to be anounced.

Steven Davis July 20th, 2006 06:59 AM

Well, I begged Cannon to give me a hint a month ago before I bought my Z1u, so if Cannon does release a new camera, well... I'm not selling my Sony. hehe.