Major Canon video annoncements comming! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 13th, 2006, 04:57 AM   #1
Major Player

Major Canon video annoncements comming!

My mole in Canon has leaked that two video related announcements are comming up.

The first one is comming 26th of july. The second is comming 2nd of August.

I have (unfortunately) no idea of what they are announcing except for the statement:

Quote:
The announcement will take place with assistance from the well known video guru from dvinfo.net - Christian Hord.
It makes you wonder, sort of ;^)

JOS. Svendsen
Jos Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 05:23 AM   #2
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos Svendsen

It makes you wonder, sort of ;^)

"The announcement will take place with assistance from the well known video guru from dvinfo.net - Christian Hord. "

Eh? Chris Hurd . . Christian Hord . . Chris Hurd . . Christian Hord . . Chris Hurd . . Christian Hord . .

Anybody else see the similarity?

Jos .. stop "Jos-hing"

Seessshh.. my BP wont take it!!!
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 05:51 AM   #3
Major Player

ahh - some day I will be found strangled with the strap of a GL3 DVD HDV (HDVD?) camcorder due to my barouqe sense of humour.

JOSS't a kid.

JOS. Svendsen
Old July 13th, 2006, 09:38 AM   #4
Major Player

Here it is:

Canon is proud to annouce they will continue the GL2 until 2009. The $250 rebate will go on.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 09:42 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Well...

I'm not going to set my hopes too high, but...if this is true, I might burst an artery in my excitement over the announcement of one or more HD camcorders. Being that we know that Canon said the XL2 was their last SD camcorder, I wonder what Canon has been up to in developing HD technology. I'd love to see a GL3/GL-H1, and perhaps a higher end camera that shoots DVCPRO HD (perhaps P2?).

Anyone have any predictions as to what the news will be?

EDIT: Bob, that wouldn't surprise me.
Zack Vohaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #6
Major Player

Looking at the last couple months of activity on the consumer front, I'm expecting that the entire Elura/Optura/DVD line will be consolidated into one exciting 1/4.5" single CCD DVD camcorder called the "Etura".

OK, seriously, this is about the time that Canon anounces new toys, so I have been looking out this month for any news from them. I still fully and completely expect an Optura HDV cam. MSRP $1,199. I'm thinking something along the size of the Xi and with similar features. And yes, the GL2 successor should be around the corner of course.

Now, I know its not going to happen, but wouldn't it just be a huge marketing move to put a progressive scan CCD/CMOS on that new Optura that can be clocked at 48hz and provide true 24P? Ah yes, Area 51 for sure.

www.philipwilliams.com
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #7
Major Player

And just one more bit of info from my Canon mole - Deep focus.

Take a peek at this link http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/07...onic/index.php
pls. note at the end that Canon is an active supporter of this format.

Interesting eh?

JOS. Svendsen
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:31 PM   #8
Major Player

could just be a consumer model. Might be kind of cool to see it go on a GL3 or the DVX100, plus have the tape drive. At least we might see native 16:9 on them,,,
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 11:11 AM   #9
Major Player

Ok - now Sony has played their cards. AVCHD consumer camcorders! They are clearly going for the crowd with a HD tv set, that does not like computers.

A lot consumers like DVD camcorders because you not need a computer to edit, and it is hassle free to view the video. Take the disc out, put it in the DVD-player, and you are all set. No computer, no NLE, no problems,

The harddisk-cams have editing posibilities and most of them is seen as cost effective, because you do not have to invest in tapes. So the notion is thar you buy the cam, edit out all the bad bits, and then you have a vault of premium shots that you connect to your tv using HDMI.

I guess that the first Blu Ray recorders from Sony will give you a possibility to record from the harddisk-cams, thus conserving the content from the harddisk.

Now Canon does not have any Blu Ray, harddisk recorders etc etc to protect, so I'll gues that the HDGL3 will be able to record HDV directly on a DVD, and be targetet to the high end prosumers, than can live with the short recording time of the media. And it might be switchable to AVCHD just to keep the consumers happy.

Hmmm ... am I beginning to sound like the guy from SuperVideo.com?

Just one more peek in the cristal ball. Hmm... Denver Broncos wins superbowl, Canon merges with Sony, Avid is bought by Apple and a green flash is seen on Mars...

JOS. Svendsen
Old July 19th, 2006, 11:19 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Zimmerman
Here it is:

Canon is proud to annouce they will continue the GL2 until 2009. The $250 rebate will go on.

That is so funny, but kind of sad really.
Old July 19th, 2006, 11:33 AM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Just one more peek in the cristal ball. Hmm... Denver Broncos wins superbowl, Canon merges with Sony, Avid is bought by Apple and a green flash is seen on Mars...
Jos, there is a well known brand of tobacco sold here in the U.S. called Copenhagen. I'm thinking the version they are selling you in Copenhagen has a little something extra in it.

I can believe any of that last statement except Denver Broncos winning the Superbowl. (big grin)

Just kidding around folks, I don't want any hate mail about how the Denver Broncos are a great team. I know this already.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 11:50 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
I'll gues that the HDGL3 will be able to record HDV directly on a DVD, and be targetet to the high end prosumers, than can live with the short recording time of the media. And it might be switchable to AVCHD just to keep the consumers happy.
My prediction is a "GL-H1" recording HDV to miniDV tape in a camera which looks like the GL2 (but bigger), followed by an HDV version of the Optura line. Makes sense for them to release these now that they've recovered some development money from people buying the XL-H1.

Any Canon AVC cameras won't ship until 2008-09. Why rush now?
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 03:05 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
My prediction is a "GL-H1" recording HDV to miniDV tape in a camera which looks like the GL2 (but bigger), followed by an HDV version of the Optura line.
I sure hope so, been waiting 18 months for a GL3 HDV, tape is still good for me.
Paul Rickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 06:51 AM   #14
Christopher Brown

XM2 Discontinued

I went into my local dealer yesterday to enquire about purchasing an XM2 and he said that they were just discontinued by Canon and they have only two coming in that they ordered just before Canon told them - one of which is already sold.

If this is really the case than the XM3/GL3 must be going to be anounced.
Old July 20th, 2006, 06:59 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Well, I begged Cannon to give me a hint a month ago before I bought my Z1u, so if Cannon does release a new camera, well... I'm not selling my Sony. hehe.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders