Canon XH batteries / battery thread - Page 20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 20th, 2007, 10:20 PM   #286
Regular Crew

No problem using them.

If you're using after-market batteries, they can become stuck in the compartment though, so be sure to fix some tape around it to use as a handle to remove.
Matt Barwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 06:31 AM   #287
Wrangler

If they fit easily, you are OK.

As noted some after market batteries are a too tight fit, my experience is this applies to some batches of the Lenmar LIC941.

Try batteries carefully before a shoot. It wilt be no fun having a battery stuck and not replaceable during a shoot.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 01:31 PM   #288
Tourist

Replacement Battery Charger

Not sure how this happened, but somehow over the Christmas Chaos, I lost my battery charger in the mess. I've looked high and low and there are no signs of it anywhere. So I figured I'd just buy a replacement.... HOLY CRAP!! They're how much!!!?? Cheapest I've seen is $120 plus shipping. Guess I should have taken better care of that little black box. So I was just considering getting one of the off brand chargers for $30. Has anyone had any experience with these? I'm thinking I cannot use these to power the camera directly though. Any chance they might destroy my batteries or worse, my camera?
Thanks everyone.
-Tracy Smith
Tracy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 02:07 PM   #289
New Boot

You can try these links:

http://www.sabahoceanic.com/epages/s...ducts/06009009

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/AC-DC-Battery-Ch...QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/Charger-For-CANO...sid=p1638.m118

From 3$ to 26$ (sabaoceanic sells very great products, including Japan cell BP-970 7500mah at 67$

Bye
Cesare Improta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 03:30 PM   #290
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy Smith View Post
Not sure how this happened, but somehow over the Christmas Chaos, I lost my battery charger in the mess. I've looked high and low and there are no signs of it anywhere. So I figured I'd just buy a replacement.... HOLY CRAP!! They're how much!!!?? Cheapest I've seen is $120 plus shipping. Guess I should have taken better care of that little black box. So I was just considering getting one of the off brand chargers for $30. Has anyone had any experience with these? I'm thinking I cannot use these to power the camera directly though. Any chance they might destroy my batteries or worse, my camera?
Thanks everyone.
-Tracy Smith
hav u retraced u steps... i sometimes lose chargers because I go to events (parties, christmas...) with low batteries and I plug into the friends house to charge. i hav not used a non-oem charger for this camera but i have for my hv20 and others cameras without any issue.
C.J. Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #291
New Boot

Cheap battery

Hi there,

As I was looking for some extra equipment for my XH-A1, I discovered some extreme cheap batteries on ebay. These no-name batteries are being sold as ok-quality with all the necessary features (received a CE-mark for having protection against overheating, shortcircuiting en overcharging). I wonder if anyone has ever tested one of those. They are being sold for under $20,- in Germany.

'7,2V/7,4V Li-ion Power ErsatzAkku BP-930'

As there must be some policy preventing links to such sites I won't include it in my post.
I know I should be very very sceptic about such things and I would be very willing to test such a battery, but I would regret it when it would destruct my camera. So I hope anyone has some experience using those no-name batteries!
Thomas van den Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 11:20 AM   #292
Regular Crew

I have buyed some other Brand Batteries a years a go for my XM1. Even four Mark Batteries from Duracell - and no one of them did the work more than one and half year.
I have looking "into" my Sony, Duracell and Canon Batteries - all of them (Sony too) uses Panasonic LiIon Cells. With identical Cells should it not be a difference - but my Canon Batt buyed with XM1 is still working good in my XHA1 and two 7 years old BP 930 too. I have 4 dead Duracells and 3 dead NoNames.
Because Cells in Canon Batteries are selected to build a good battery, because Canon batteries have better electronic to balance the Voltage of the cells by Charging.
If you buy something others - its cheaper, but its everytime a lottery.
Ivan Mosny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 11:28 AM   #293
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas van den Berg View Post
... I would be very willing to test such a battery, but I would regret it when it would destruct my camera.
You have answered your own question. If you buy "cheap" it could turn out to be very expensive.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 12:01 PM   #294
New Boot

Yeah I know it's kinda ignorant to asume the cheap batteries offer the same as the more expensive ones. However, sometimes ppl pay just for the name, for example in the inkjetprinter cardridge sector. Some tests proved that other no-name cardridges had the same or even better quality. And according to some miniDVtape-discussions on this board, expensive doesn't always mean the best quality or the best choice.
So Im just curious if the price for Canon batteries is name-based or quality based. Ivan makes me think it's all about quality.
Thomas van den Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 12:07 PM   #295
Regular Crew

Hello Thomas,

If you're looking for a good and cheap solution:

http://www.koopdigitaal.nl/product_d..._product=24545

This adres is pretty much close to Enschede too. I can tell, because I have been there many times.

But still, it may seem silly to buy an original BP970 but they are VERY good.
You can film up to eight hours on one battery!

I have two: the original 950 and a original 970.

The battery is the main powersource of your camera. It brings your camera to life! If something bad happens to that battery the same thing could happen to your camera. Just think of it.....

I know the A1 is a pretty nice and expensive camera. It's good. Very good. So choose the right hardware for your camera: batteries, cables, tapes etc.
Old January 17th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #296
Wrangler

I believe that most users have found that recognized brand name after market batteries will provide decent service and return on investment equal to or perhaps better than OEM batteries. However, as with all mass produced items there is variation among samples.

The truly generic (no name) batteries would tend to be more of a gamble, in part because there are no market forces to keep them "honest" in the interest of protection their name/reputation. Some of the reduced cost is thanks to less allowance for distribution channels, advertising, quality control, packaging, and warranty service.

Ultimately you pay your money and take your chances.
Old January 17th, 2008, 02:04 PM   #297
Regular Crew

On the topic of non-Canon batteries...

Has anyone tried these?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=489615&is=REG
Kellen Dengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #298
Major Player

I guess you haven't seen a melt down on your camera yet. I can tell you it is not a pretty sight. My friend had a battery from china (ebay) and his 3000 euros camera when in for repair after it melt down inside the battery compartment. The fake batteris tend to get stuck in the compartment too. And with the bp 970 , there is no room at all to move, so when that gets stuck, you have a handful trying to get it out.

Sometimes you get lucky but I"m not willing to risk my 3000 euro camera for anything less. If anything happens, you are not covered.

Spend the extra money and you can sleep at night or even during a shoot.It is a great investment. The original batteries last a long time, I still have some batteries that are from an XL1.

I have two original BP 970 and many extra original XL1 batteries and one original BP 950 that came with the camera.

Last edited by David Chia; January 17th, 2008 at 03:05 PM.
David Chia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #299
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellen Dengler View Post
Based on the size of those batteries in the photo, & with that adapter needed, I don't see how the battery compartment door could even close.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #300
Contributor

"This plate attaches to the camcorder via the battery mount allowing a Series 7 SL-50 to power the camcorder. "

That is strange. There is no battery mount--it's inside. I don't see how this could work at all.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders