shoot HD for SD down-convert? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 28th, 2006, 08:26 PM   #1
New Boot

shoot HD for SD down-convert?

I'm looking at moving up from SD to HD....

Can one shoot in HD mode and then down-convert to SD? Or does one have to choose which format to use prior to recording?
Jeffrey Billings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 09:19 PM   #2
Major Player

not a dumb ? I was wondering too. The Sony Z1 does....
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 09:47 PM   #3
Major Player

You can shoot in HD and down convert to SD in final cut, dvd studio pro, or compressor easily. I don' t know about any other editing programs
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #4
Trustee

Never a dumb question here (sometimes we forget that we were once new at this too : )

Rule of thumb is to capture in the highest possible resolution on the camera, and then digitize in that resolution if possible. If your workstation can at least capture the HDV material, you should then do an intermediate convert in software to SD for edits. However, if you can edit on the PC in HDV or cineform intermediate (for example), then do so and render to SD.

There are several examples, not isolated to any one HDV camera, that prove that HDV material makes for a sharper SD output.

Do a search on HDV to SD.
Old July 29th, 2006, 01:11 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. I understand the direction I want to go. Now I just need to save a few $$.
Jeffrey Billings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 09:25 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Does anyone know whether the new Canon HDV cameras will be able to downsample from HDV on tape to DV out via firewire like the Sony HDV cameras do? If so, will that work with the 24f mode?
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #7
Go Cycle

The HV10 HDV camcorder will letterbox the 16:9 footage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
Does anyone know whether the new Canon HDV cameras will be able to downsample from HDV on tape to DV out via firewire like the Sony HDV cameras do? If so, will that work with the 24f mode?
Old August 9th, 2006, 01:11 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Down Convert

If they are anything like the XL-H1, you will be able to shoot in HD and down convert directly from the camera. We do this all the time with our H1 and works perfectly. Since I work with a powerbook it's a little rough to work with the HDV file, but you can change the settings on the camera itself to downcovert straight out of the firewire... I bet these will have that same capabilities. Always shoot in HD though... always!!! and yes it will work with the 24F mode but depending on your editing system will depend on if it works properly or not...

Eric Hansen
www.ehansenproductions.com
Eric Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 04:14 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Canon support confirmed the camcorder can downconvert to SD

I asked Canon Support and they confirmed that you can shoot HD and downconvert directly from the camcorder to HD. Just like the H1.

Bill in Ohio
Bill Ritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 06:55 PM   #10
Regular Crew

oops I meant to Downconvert to SD

Sorry my sentence should have been donwnconvert to SD directly from the camcorder.

Bill
Bill Ritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 09:21 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I shot a musical in HD, edited in HD, and then used the mpeg2 export to SD and the finished product looked very very good (for SD).

By doing it that way I believe I got a better looking final project details that would not have been picked up in miniDV were present in the final DVD.

Starting with a source better than the NTSC standard means you get an output that meets the standard miniDV is 550 lines vs 700 lines for the full NTSC standard.

Bill in Ohio
Bill Ritter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders