G1 footage online at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 12th, 2006, 10:54 AM   #1
Barry Wan Kenobi

G1 footage online

Mikko Wilson at NAB snared some G1 footage and stills.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=70735
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 11:26 AM   #2
Regular Crew

when a sample like that is thrown up and out there..

what exact should i be keying in on .. or is that not even enough?

deaN
Dean Digamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 11:44 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Well Dean, I think the most important thing to realize in this particular case is that the camera really wasn't properly set up. There's no way of knowing how many people had changed how many settings such as White Balance, etc. If the camera had simply been set to the "Green Box" easy recording mode, it would have defaulted to an optimized all-auto, no-humans-involved configuration, which would have been ideal... but that didn't happen.

Its primary value is the exclusive nature of the material... it's an excellent traffic draw for DVX User.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #4
Wrangler

it's better not to have stuff that is this off-the-cuff posted at all...the guts of the G1 and the H1 are so similar, how is it even possible to have footage of the same object that is this unmatched except for a massive user error? my conspiracy brain jumps to, "how much is panasonic/sony/jvc paying him to post this??"
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 12:09 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

I know how you feel Meryem but I'm certain there's no conspiracy here. While I had my hands on these exact same cameras, that is, the very same one referenced in this discussion, I chose not to bother recording anything for a couple of reasons. First, we've always had rather bad luck around here with material coming from pre-production units found at trade shows for one reason or another. Second, different companies have different policies regarding whether or not they'll let you record on a pre-production model, and Canon's position is usually "no" on this so I didn't even bother to ask. Finally, the two times I went by that booth there was a pretty good crowd around waiting to check it out and I already felt like I was monopolizing the camera a bit with so many folks waiting behind me.

Old September 12th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Definitely no conspiracy. Mikko has been working his a** off trying to get photos and footage from all over IBC. He got some video and stills of the Red presentation, and he's also posted HDV footage from the new Sony cameras as well. Unfortunately the shooting conditions for the XH G1 were just far from ideal. He did get some HDV footage that he plans to post soon, and I can't wait to see it, but again, I'll take the footage with a grain of salt because of the shooting conditions.

My question for Chris: So you're also at IBC? You played with the exact same camera? Assuming there was HD video being piped to a large external monitor, what were your first impressions? Was it pretty much what you would expect, i.e. similar to an XL H1?

I know first impressions are less than scientific, but I figure you have a good eye based on lots of experience looking at footage. I so can't wait to see footage from this camera! I have my fingers crossed that Kaku will get ahold of one of these soon. The first XL H1 footage I ever saw was from Kaku, and it blew me away.

Juan
Juan Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 03:32 PM   #7
Major Player

I am getting ready to buy this camera and must say I am a bit frightened by that extremely poor video linked above. Does anybody else have examples that don't make my eyes wretch? ;)
Cody Lucido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 03:57 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Well I *was* at IBC, just got home late yesterday and I'm pretty beat. Will post some stuff later tonight or tomorrow... it's not like you can rush out and buy the camera today anyway. Like you, I'm really looking forward to Kaku Ito's impressions. He's been our main guy on the crest of the wave here at DV Info Net and I'm reserving judgement until he's had some "quality time" with a Canon XH camcorder.

Sorry but I have no sympathy for anyone who puts much stock in video taken at a tradeshow... we've been down that road before, several times, and the results have never been good. If you let it frighten you, then... sorry to say this but... you kinda deserve it.

"Fear knocked on the door. Faith answered... nothing was there."

Old September 12th, 2006, 06:16 PM   #9
Trustee

Thank you very much for vote of confidence. My source is working hard to let me try one, but he did mentioned and I mentioned it here before, despite how Japanese staff from Canon thoght it was good and meaningful to let me post the clips, but Canon U.S. people told Canon Japan it wasn't a good idea. It was so that my source was complained by Canon Japan.

Maybe they are upset that I did not buy XLH1 because of its size, but I did mention if they come out one with more compact chasis with the similar quality then I would. I'm pretty sure you hear about x3 CMOS Sony FX7, so the competition is tough in that category, but I would pick someting similar (XLH1) already proved than the new technology which would not be really tuned in.

Now I'm equipped with rigs for HVX200 size (without HVX200! I sold it to get ready for G1 or A1) including Manfrotto 520 video head, Glidecam V8 (now properly custom aligned with modification) and so on.

Remember how beatiful that panorama video in Makuhari. I just visited there two weeks in a raw for mountainbike riding (i shot some stuff with HVR-A1J and experimenting the H.264 progressive transcoding).

Also, since FCP will have an update to support 24f of Canon format, I would be more ready to provide clips. And I'm in the position to write about Matrox MXO and wouldn't it nice to have G1/A1 in my article, too? Usually, in advertising aspect, any extra coverage on magazine articles for free is supposed to be good for the company/product.
So, Chris, your words to Canon U.S. would probably help.

Also, my current personal web experimentation is here separately from xtream.ne.jp.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 06:31 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Funny that Canon US was upset about your footage. I wonder how many people bought XL H1s because of it.
Juan Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 08:29 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Sorry but I have no sympathy for anyone who puts much stock in video taken at a tradeshow... we've been down that road before, several times, and the results have never been good. If you let it frighten you, then... sorry to say this but... you kinda deserve it.

"Fear knocked on the door. Faith answered... nothing was there."
Geez, I was just being 'tongue-in-cheek'. But that footage really does suck. It often amazes the crappy level of quality people post.

I have pre-ordered mine already.
Cody Lucido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 08:54 AM   #12
Major Player

A little from me

Hi all.
I have just got home from IBC and finally have a moment to sit down and respond.

That footage does suck. Beacuse I did a piss poor job shooting it in piss poor conditions.

Tradeshow conditions SUCK for shooting anything. It's some video from the camera, nothing more.

Personally I was impressed at the images that I was seeing in the canon booth, including footage running in FCP shot by the G1 that looked fantastic.

I do have some better HDV stuff going up now that I'll link from 'user. But again, it's just a picture, far from scientific.

Chris, I wasn't aware that you where at IBC. Shame I missed you.

Psst, Barry! IBC, not NAB.

- Mikko

Last edited by Mikko Wilson; September 14th, 2006 at 03:28 AM.
Mikko Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #13
Major Player

Mikko, thanks a lot for the uploads. I just reviewed the large file and I don't see any problems with the footage. I mean, yeah its got issues, but within the context of a guy sneaking a tape into a pre-shipping, non-adjusted camcorder at a not-well-lit trade show; its about as good as I'd hope for.

Is it just me, or were the chromatic aberations kept to a minimum? They were there, but generally closer to the sides and usually not excessive (at least no worse than the current Z1/HVX/HD100 offerings). In the scene where the other canon is near the middle of the frame there are some bright highlights and I didn't really see any fringing around them. If this is with the wide angle adapter, I'm doubly impressed.

I'm looking forward to watching this on my 1920 monitor at home to take a closer look.

Anyway, thanks again for the effort Mikko.

<edit>
Ok, I'm zoomed in closer now and see some purples near the hot spots. Still, not too bad in this price range and with a wide angle..
</edit>

www.philipwilliams.com
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 11:33 AM   #14
Trustee

Looks like I will have the cam for few hours beginning of Oct..
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaku Ito
Looks like I will have the cam for few hours beginning of Oct..
Go Kaku! Looking forward to your footage.
Philip Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders