DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   LCD flipout (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/75377-lcd-flipout.html)

Pete Cofrancesco September 12th, 2006 07:29 PM

LCD flipout

XH has all that I want and at a better price than the Z1 but the smaller LCD is a deal breaker. Z1 is 3.5" while XH is only 2.8". I've heard it can be difficult to see if things are in focuse with a 3.5" I can only image the smaller screen would compound the problem.

Philip Williams September 12th, 2006 08:28 PM

I'd think trying them both out in person would be a good idea before choosing based solely on LCD size. Now I have to admit, though I generally prefer Canon over Sony, Sony does put top notch LCD screens on their nicer cams.

However, you might want to test the peaking and zoom functions on the Canon compared to the zoom on the Z1. I don't recall now (you can probably look it up easily), but I think the Z1 might not be able to record while zooming in, so you have to zoom-focus-unzoom and record. I think I'd prefer a peaking option while recording, but that's just me.

www.philipwilliams.com

Gene Crucean September 13th, 2006 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Williams
but I think the Z1 might not be able to record while zooming in, so you have to zoom-focus-unzoom and record.

Not true. And to be honest I have never used a camera that doesn't let you zoom/focus/record at the same time.

Phillip Palacios September 13th, 2006 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene Crucean
Not true. And to be honest I have never used a camera that doesn't let you zoom/focus/record at the same time.

I think he means the focus assist "expanded focus" and the sony's dont let you do that.

Philip Williams September 13th, 2006 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillip Palacios
I think he means the focus assist "expanded focus" and the sony's dont let you do that.

Exactly! I was a bit vague in my original description.

Pete Cofrancesco September 13th, 2006 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Williams
I'd think trying them both out in person would be a good idea before choosing based solely on LCD size.
www.philipwilliams.com

If I had the time I'd do it but I've got a wedding coming up at the end of the month. Even if the LCD was good enough this camera just got released and could have bugs that need software patches. I like the longer lens, xlr inputs, and the price point, too bad sony didn't drop their price to compete, they probably will but at a later date. Unfortunately, I need it right now, with the Z1 the reviews are out and verdict is in (over priced compared to the fx1 but a solid semi-pro camera).

Mark Fry September 14th, 2006 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Cofran
If I had the time I'd do it but I've got a wedding coming up at the end of the month.

If you need to buy this month, the Sony is your only choice. From what I've read so far, the Canons won't ship until late October - and do you want one from the first batch? If it's just the one event, though, the alternative is to rent a Z1 and think of it as a test drive - provided you can get familiar enough with it in a short time to do a good job at the wedding.