A1/G1 Street Dates? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 28th, 2006, 07:18 AM   #16
Regular Crew

got the official price for the camera from Bhphotovideo
Jason Strongfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #17
Major Player

will Canon just start selling the A1 without any reviews? I'm not going to be the reviewer. If they don't say something soon I will pass until I see something. it would worry me if they didn't let people handle the A1 and G1 before it comes out. Sony has given the V1 out to people and have showed it to people. But really nothing from Canon. Maybe it does have a lot of noise!
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 11:12 AM   #18
Regular Crew

It is pretty unsettling, no reviews & no footage to speak of.
Donald White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 12:41 PM   #19
Wrangler

Worry and feeling unsettled are within yourself and really doesn't bear on Canon's low key style of releasing cameras. There's really nothing unusual here, as I've mentioned before:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....7&postcount=22

When cameras are in people's hands, they can do reviews, but not before. If you need a camera now, the XH cameras aren't for you because they're not available yet. When they are, reviews aplenty will be on DVi, presumably in the next couple of weeks. Patience, friends, patience!

EDIT: I definitely agree, though, that THE BEST way to decide if a camera is the right one for you is to pick it up and shoot with it. In fact, I'm breaking with my own early adopter habit and waiting a while before deciding whether to add an XH to my 2 XL H1's, replace one of the H1's, or pass altogether on the XH's. I'll make that decision later after I've gotten a good opportunity to play with an XH. I'm not very good at being patient, but sometimes ya just gotta be.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 12:45 PM   #20
Major Player

I know that in the UK they are releasing the A1 on the 15th of November. As for the g1 no idea.
Yasser Kassana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #21
Major Player

Unless something's changed in the last day or two, Kaku Ito will have some footage up and give us his feedback before the cam hits US store shelves.

As Peter mentioned, this is pretty much standard for Canon's camcorder releases. They just don't release early footage. To be fair, the prelease footage I've seen from other cams - while certainly interesting - has never been of the quality and variety to justify a purchase decision. And a professionally shot video from a manufacturer is likely to be biased 100% to the strengths of a given camera while avoiding any shortcomings; so that's not exactly representative either.

No, as much as most of us like these early pre-release videos, they really are rather pointless. I'll take some shaky Kaku mountain bike or city shot videos and his early review over manufacturer created videos and press releases any day. Just my 2 cents there of course...

www.philipwilliams.com
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #22
Contributor

I normally don't buy anthing until second generation, but I probably would feel pretty safe getting this Canon, because it's really a second generation, in a way, since it has the same guts as the H1.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #23
Regular Crew

An unsettled feeling - yes, definetly! And that IS within me - I've had owned some of Canon's fine gear... they really do good work, but this will be my first new digital video camera! Those of you who've been around awhile have probably gone through all of this before... the new camera birthing process. I'm still pretty new at this, and yep - it's unsettling for me.

However, I'm far from undecided! I know this is my camera - I've waited plenty long enough. No need to hang around and ponder about it, or wait to play with one... mine's on order and hopefully on it's way soon.

If you're looking for a new user's review - I will do my best to put forth footage when this new baby gets here & I figure out how to let you guys see it.

Last edited by Donald White; September 29th, 2006 at 05:56 AM.
Donald White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 06:00 PM   #24
Contributor

So far I haven't read anything that gives me any reason to dislike it. I bet it won't provide underscan in the viewfinder, and I'll dislike that but could probably live with it if all other things are as good as they look on paper.
Old October 4th, 2006, 03:45 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Strongfield
$4290 Sony V1 (official street price).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck
Where did you see the official retail price (MSRP) of the Sony V1?
There IS no "official street price" for any machine. There is a MSRP "Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price" which for V1U I believe is US$4800.

The "street-price" is just decided and set by a retailer themselves, it cannot, by definition be an "official" price.

The US$4290 is just one retailer's price that they are selling the machine for currently.

MSRP's and street-prices can both change at any time, although it's far more common for street-price's to vary due to economic forces of supply & demand and competition etc.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #26
Contributor

Has anybody heard anything about when the A1 might actually be for sale in the U.S.?
Old October 6th, 2006, 03:53 PM   #27
Obstreperous Rex

Last I heard, it was going to be late October. Less than 30 days from now...

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 09:10 PM   #28
Major Player

I'm going to B&H someday between the 23rd and 25th...what are my chances of getting a chance to play around with an XHA1/G1 display model?

My biggest concern with what I've been reading about them over my current FX1 is the smaller LCD screen in that rather strange location (I love where the FX1/Z1U screen is) and also I'm worried about low lighting levels/noise in low light. I shoot a lot of stuff that needs good low light capabilities (weddings, concerts, theater productions, ect.) and I've been pleased with the low level of noise in the FX1, and although I'd always like a little brighter picture in those conditions, I know the XHA1 probably won't be brighter, it just can't be really noisy in low light for what I need it for
Noah Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 10:24 AM   #29
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

Information just released today from my Canon USA Representative:

"THE NEW CANON XHA1 3 CHIP HDV CAMCORDER WILL START ALLOCATING ON OCTOBER 25th. THE XHG1 WILL ALSO START TO SHIP ON THE 25th."

Realize that this means that product will start shipping from Canon on the 25th and allocated accordingly to the Dealers, like TapeWorks Texas Inc.

ALL ALLOCATION WILL BE BASED ON SHIPPING THE OLDEST BACK ORDERS FIRST.

If you have any questions regarding your Back-Orders, contact your Canon USA Dealer that you pre-ordered your product through.

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
TapeWorks Texas Inc - HDVinfo Sponser
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #30
Major Player

Cool news Scott. Thanks for the heads up!

I am extremely excited about getting these new beauties.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders