35mm adapter for the xh series? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 19th, 2006, 08:47 AM   #1
New Boot

35mm adapter for the xh series?

we're thinking about buying a G1 for studio and eng purposes. picture quality is not a question since the sensor is the same as in the h1. and we were really satisified with the results we got from the h1.

but the xh series does not feature interchangeable lenses. which is a problem because we wanted to also get a 35mm adapter.
now somebody told me that the redrock does not have enough "reslolution" for the picture of the g1/h1. it is more suited for sd cameras. then there's p+s technik's pro35 which costs about 10k. so both of these adapters doesn't look like a big deal.

are there any other adapters that would fit on the g1 optics? the g1's specs are pretty good for the agressive price it is listed at. but it makes me kinda sick thinking about such a camera and not having the possibility to attach a 35mm adapter. and all that given the fact that we're talking about 35mm adapters for over a year now. no good move from canon. very nice cameras, both of them, now the only thing we would need is a 35mm adapter working with them.

somebody's got a clue?
Chris Zinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 08:54 AM   #2
Major Player

There are plenty of solution to name some are:

Brevis35
SGPRO
M2
Letus

All around the $800-1000 price.

etc

Go to the alternative imaging thread in this forum. Also bear in mind that the lens is not interchangable to in effect you would be putting glass on glass, however that shouldn't effect anything, it just means more light loss. People have been using this solution forever.
Yasser Kassana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 09:23 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I have a Redrock Micro M2 which I use with my HVX. I plan to get an XH A1 for use with the Redrock.

Regarding compatibilitiy with the Fixed Lens XH cameras: You have to use an achromatic diopter lens attachment to the lens of your camera to turn your camera's lens into a relay lens to record the image from the ground glass. The Redrock HD achromat's filter thread size is 72mm. The filter thread for the XH Lens is also 72mm so attaching the adapter to the camera is no problem.

Regarding resolution, the M2 delivers enough resolution for use with these HD cameras. In fact it is the only adapter that is consistently reviewed as having minimal resolution loss and grain from the ground glass. I don't work for RedRock btw. At the bottom of this post is a quote from an article on Showreel magazine.

From Showreel: http://www.showreel.org/memberarea/article.php?172

"M2: This $500 unit was something of a shock. Who would have thought an engineering genius from Texas could design and set in motion a patent for his M2 adaptor that is actually quite suited to drama – and which is designed to work with old Nikon and Canon SLR lenses, of which there are legion sitting round the world gathering dust since the advent of digital photography, but which still feature exceptionally good optics?

The Redrock M2 is the only 35mm cine adaptor that exhibits a nearly lossless resolution and no image degradation, as there are no visible grains to throw a wrench into the MPEG2 HDV encoder. There is no artifacting and no soft edges.

The M2 can be notched down to T16, and I have even closed down to T22 with a Nikon 80-200mm SLR lens. No grain visible, no breakdown from MPEG and grain battling it out, and no visual loss of resolution."
Juan Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #4
New Boot

thanks for the quick reply!
sounds good to us. seems that there are plenty ofsolutions to this "problem".
i'll have a look at the thread you mentioned..

i bet it's far to early to have anybody comment on actually using a setup like an a1 or g1 plus 35mm adapter since the cam is not even out yet? but if anybody, anyhow, already got his hands on such a setup please report to the community.

thx again,
cya
Chris Zinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 10:39 AM   #5
Major Player

btw is it possible to zoom xh without achromat condenser to projection area?
Frank Hool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 05:44 AM   #6
New Boot

Hey Juan Diaz, thats a really good article u linked from showreel..
Hope to read more stuff from DP like rodney
David Liu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders