Commercial Display of Canon's 24F? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 23rd, 2006, 06:57 AM   #1
Major Player

Commercial Display of Canon's 24F?

Let us say, theoretically, a film was shot in 24F HDV. It is edited on a 24f timeline in Adobe Premiere Pro, and then exported to an HDV Tape in 24f.

No lets say you have accsess to an HD projecter and a 50ft screen. What is the best way to transmit this 24F info to the projecter? I am assuming most HDV decks wont be able to read the 24F and send it to the projecter (through componenet, HDMI, whatever), so will a 24F camera need to be hooked up to said projecter? Will an HD projecter understand HDV? Can 24F be converted into a true HDV 24P file readable by sony's decks?

KJust trying to catch up on the HDV boat I missed@!
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 10:40 AM   #2
Wrangler

If you have a 24F HDV tape, only certain Canon devices will be able to play it. XL-H1, XH-A1, XH-G1, and HV10. So yes, you'd have to hook up to a projector.

The realities of HDV make it so it is often not the best format to distribute your work on.
Old September 23rd, 2006, 01:24 PM   #3
Major Player

it's best to project 24F HDV from a computer if you can bring a laptop or wheel a workstation into the projection booth.

If not, it's possible to make an HD-DVD and use the Toshiba HD DVD player.

Last edited by Barlow Elton; September 23rd, 2006 at 09:38 PM.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 08:27 PM   #4
Major Player

can't you just burn it to a DVD? Or can it be transfered to a different kind of tape, then played it?
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 09:37 PM   #5
Major Player

Sure, I was just trying to point out some ways to actually project 24F in HD.

You can always export 24F footage into SD formats and burn a DVD from it.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2006, 06:53 AM   #6
Major Player

How possible would it be to transfer 24F HDV to 24p HDCAM?
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2006, 03:49 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Nayman
Let us say, theoretically, a film was shot in 24F HDV. It is edited on a 24f timeline in Adobe Premiere Pro, and then exported to an HDV Tape in 24f.
Just FYI, I don't think Premiere will actually export 24F back to tape. The Canon 24F preset that was recently made available only allows capture and editing of the 24F video. Maybe its been updated again since I checked, but Adobe doesn't usually move quite that fast...

Quote:
No lets say you have accsess to an HD projecter and a 50ft screen. What is the best way to transmit this 24F info to the projecter?<snip>
As already mentioned, this would probably be best accomplished from a laptop connected to the projector (until Bluray or HD DVD burners and players are more common of course).

www.philipwilliams.com
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 12:59 PM   #8
Major Player

Sup Matt,

Quote:
will a 24F camera need to be hooked up to said projecter?
Yes.

Quote:
Will an HD projecter understand HDV?
Provided your projector/any digital display for that matter accepts 1080i/60 and or 720p/30 then yes.

Granted even if you could output your 24f 1080p/24 signal from your camera or hdv device, the majority of hd digital display devices do not accept this, more then likely it'll go thru a pull down to 1080i/60 where your display device would de-interalace it and output it as 1080p/30.

The next generation of blue ray will output 1080p/24, hopefully there will be some affordable displays that can produce this signal.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders