DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   More pics -- holding G1 and WA adapter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/76940-more-pics-holding-g1-wa-adapter.html)

Chris Hurd October 5th, 2006 11:23 PM

More pics -- holding G1 and WA adapter

3 Attachment(s)
Hopefully these snapshots will give you a better idea of the size of the XH cams... in this case a G1, with the new wide angle adapter and lens hood attached (more about the adapter coming up in a separate thread). The Peter Garrett lookalike modeling the G1 in these photos is my good friend Mike Mount of Canon USA. Strike a pose, Mike! Click the pics to see 'em big.

Floris van Eck October 6th, 2006 05:06 AM

Thanks for the great pictures! Looks like a nicely balanced camera.

Matthew Nayman October 6th, 2006 06:38 AM

perhaps it's the focal length of your lens, but that thing looks huge!

Robert Watts October 6th, 2006 06:49 AM

Chris,

Any chance you might get a chance to try (and maybe pictures) with a teleconverter?

Marty Hudzik October 6th, 2006 06:59 AM

Holy Crap! That Wide Angle Adapter is huge! No wonder it blocks the Instant Auto Focus sensor.

I have used the Century Optics .8x adapter on the H1 and it is nowhere near that big.....I am really surprised Canon engineered it like that but it looks cool. It definitely makes the A1/G1 start to look more like something out of "star wars" like the H1. Right Chris? :)

Bill Pryor October 6th, 2006 08:38 AM

Is that a zoom-through?

The wide angle shots Chris did make it look bigger than it is, except for the first one. Looks about the size of a PD150 to me. How's the weight?

And, is that the standard lens hood? If so, that's nice that it attaches to the adapter.

Marty Hudzik October 6th, 2006 08:52 AM

I haven't heard but that has got to be a zoom through. .8x is pretty mild for a wide angle adapter but it lends to more easily being able to be a zoom through adapter. I am anxiously awaiting that "seperate" post about the wide angle adapter Chris promised.

Matthew Nayman October 6th, 2006 09:00 AM

AThe second picture almost makes it look shoulder-mounted!

I know it's an artifact of the wide-angle view (of the photo) and the flash shadow, but still!

Bill Pryor October 6th, 2006 09:02 AM

True, .8X is mild, but better mild than more distortion, in my opinion. With the wide end of the Canon lens being 32.5mm (in "rea"l lens terms), the .8x gives you about 26mm. That's pretty good. The widest 35mm lens I've used was a 24mm, and it was wide enough for most anything I shot.

Marty Hudzik October 6th, 2006 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
True, .8X is mild, but better mild than more distortion, in my opinion. With the wide end of the Canon lens being 32.5mm (in "rea"l lens terms), the .8x gives you about 26mm. That's pretty good. The widest 35mm lens I've used was a 24mm, and it was wide enough for most anything I shot.

I'm not complaining that it is mild. I am simply saying that most .7x - .8x adapter I have seen have been zoom through and the .5x and .6x have not. Nut sure that means anything decisive but as I said...I'm guessing the Canon .8x is zoom through.

Bill Pryor October 6th, 2006 09:24 AM

Zoom through would be nice, but I could live with it if it's not. I have one on a DSR250 that is not zoom through, and I've used it successfully. I have a friend with a zoom through .7x on a PD170, and he leaves it on all the time. That would be handy.

Chris Hurd October 6th, 2006 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
Is that a zoom-through?

Yes. It is full zoom through.

Quote:

And, is that the standard lens hood?
Nope, that particular hood is only for the WA adapter.

Of course the adapter adds some weight to the front of the XH which is already just slightly nose heavy to begin with. The 0.8x factor is somewhat mild and you have to determine for yourself if it's worth the extra cost, extra weight and losing the Instant AF function.

Cody Lucido October 6th, 2006 10:08 AM

Any news on the price?

Chris Hurd October 6th, 2006 10:46 AM

Price is $499 and yes that includes the lens hood.

Jim Martin October 6th, 2006 11:29 AM

Chris- The A1 just got here and our lens guy Stacy is throwing it up against the H1 as I write. By the way, Hellova wide angle......Jim