Dumb Question but what is SDI output GenLock input Time Code input/output at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 7th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #1
New Boot

Dumb Question but what is SDI output GenLock input Time Code input/output

Sorry I know this is probably a dumb question but what would someone need SDI output, GenLock input and Time Code input and output for???

Thanks in advance
Steven Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2006, 04:40 PM   #2
Inner Circle

the key is in sdi's common need to be synchonised to the device it feeds, so it needs a reference source to lock to - applied to the genlock in terminal. in pro gear, timecode is also fed in via discreet connector and out to other devices. On the back of my For-A video production unit there are more bncs carrying these kind of signals than conventional ins and outs. where you have a lot of kit chained together, proper sync also helps reduce the in-to-out delays that happen with digital kit that otherwise has to wait for a complete frame (or more) top pass to be able to lock to. Look on the back of most pro kit and you'll see the sync and other interconnects that the users demand.

If you have a specific example that's confusing you - let us know?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

SDI -- Serial Digital Interface -- is the primary digital format connection standard in the professional broadcast industry. It carries everything (video, audio, and time code) over one cable. Much better than FireWire, its bandwidth is nearly 1.5 gigabits per second, so you're getting raw HD output before any compression is applied. With SDI you can use it simply to cable out to an HDTV for monitoring your video image, or you can use it to record straight to a professional HD format VTR, such as an HDCAM deck or a DVCPRO HD deck.

Genlock input allows the camera to receive a sync signal from an external generator, the idea being that you can switch smoothly between multiple cameras in a live shooting environment since the Genlock insures that all cameras are running in lock-step with each other, fields and frames in perfect sync.

Timecode input or output allows you to slave an external device such as an digital audio recorder to your video camera, or slave your camera to some other device such as another camera . Both units get the same time code, which makes editing a lot easier. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 08:03 PM   #4
New Boot

Thank you guys. Yes the answers helped. For me the SDI would be beneficial but the other applications aren't relevant to what I do
Steven Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks for askin steven. i've never known the exact answer either. and thanks to chris and the guys for such a complete answer.
Old October 8th, 2006, 10:01 PM   #6
Tourist

A dumber question

How would you actually share the genlock among four cameras in a large theatre? Wire? Wireless?

Thanks!
Hugh Brownstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 11:52 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Typically you would run genloc cables to each camera

One thing is that typically in this enviromment you have CCU's (camera control units) for each camera, and you have a cable 26pin for instance that connects each camera to each ccu. One thing that is typically not mentioned is that you need to have the cables all the exact same length if you want the genloc and the video feed to be insync and you don't want to have a tbc on each input.

You have a sync source generator that feeds the entire system

Sharyn
Sharyn Ferrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I ask this dumb question as well... With the SDi output can you capture to a powerbook or a firestore in a DVCPRO HD codec?

I have been on the cusp of buying a HVX200 for some time now. I like the idea of recording to P2 or Disk. Well, anything other than tape. My reason for wanting to avoid tape is two fold. If you know a clip was not shot right, just delete it then. Why keep it around to clutter up things later. As well as I am under the impression that HDV is not really that MAC friendly as render times can be a little long. I have absolutely no interest in going back to windows. Just my opinion there... However, as I am interested in shooting landscape videography and my best light is around sunrise and sunset, I fear the HVX will fall short of my expectations. It seems to be an incredible camera, in a studio. Steven Dempsey and his work has blown me away. And keep bringing me back to the Canon cameras. I do plan on using the Brevis or Redrock M2 system with whatever it is that I buy.

But, can I use the SDI output to sidestep the Tape and HDV codec all-together, without recording pure HD and those associated costs?

Thanks,
Jay
Jay Stebbins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders