FCP 5.1.2 and HDV 24F--IT WORKS! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 7th, 2006, 06:59 PM   #1
Major Player

FCP 5.1.2 and HDV 24F--IT WORKS!

Just wanted to say I finally got FCP upgraded to the latest version and have been testing the new "HDV 1080 24p" (Canon HDV 24F) support.

It works great! I have a G5 dual 2.7 and the whole thing feels *pretty much* as smooth as DV. It captures to native HDV, and you edit in a HDV 1080 24p timeline. Pure progressive the whole way.

Print to tape works too and it records to tape exactly the way the camera (XL-H1 in my case) records 24F natively; 24 frames per second with repeat flags rather than bandwidth-wasting pulldown frames recorded to tape.

I recorded a simple PtV and it played back from the camera saying "24F" in the VF info display. Very nice!

So all you future XH owners/FCP users are very lucky. No sucky workarounds like us H1 owners have had to slog through for months.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2006, 08:17 PM   #2
Contributor

Excellent. My interest in 24p recently has been because lots of our stuff is going to start ending up on the web for download, and if we could stay 24fps all the way, that would save significant space over 30fps. Other things are distributed on DVD, so 24p is nice there too, and some things have gone to film. Being able to shoot 24F and keep it in a 24 frame timeline with no pulldown would be good for what we do now.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2006, 08:19 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Great -- thanks for the report, Barlow!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2006, 10:18 PM   #4
Major Player

Sure thing, Chris.

Man, very good timing from Apple now that the XH cameras are hitting the market! Not that Apple didn't take their sweet-*** time in getting this very important update out...but here it is and at least it works pretty much the way I'd hoped it would. Actually, so far the timeline performance is much snappier than I expected, but the Kona card may be helping some.

To any of the FCP users out there that have been holding off on the 5.1 upgrade...well if you're considering one of these new Canon cameras--it's a total no-brainer now.

Well worth the upgrade price.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 09:58 AM   #5
Contributor

One thing that should be mentioned is that the $49 FCP upgrade to the crossover 5.1 version expires at the end of the year. Presumably it will cost more then. You have to get that before you can get the 5.1.2. It's well worth the low price.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders