Download eight 1080/60i XH G1 clips provided by Kaku Ito at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 9th, 2006, 08:09 AM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

Download eight 1080/60i XH G1 clips provided by Kaku Ito

Note: download and save files to your local drive first before viewing. These are raw Mpeg transport streams that are best viewed on an HDTV. Shot descriptions provided by Kaku Ito.

1. Tripod Panning doing drop auto focus Size: 24.14Mb - Added 09.10.2006 - Format: 1080/60i - Gain: 0 - Fstop: 2.6 - Shutter: 1/120 - OIS: Off - Custom Preset: Factory Preset 9ish - Focus: Auto low sensitivity - Zoom: wide to slightly zoom in and zoom out again - Additional Rig: Manfrotto S503 Videohead

Description: Intended to slow down in the post, checking how HDV compression stands for panning the cast in front of green grass and trees. Me doing a 6 feet drop. Cam panning in front of green grass and trees that challenging for HDV codec. Cast: Kaku Ito, Cam: Nancy Ito

2. Tripod James Triple rear angle Size: 33.8Mb - Added: 09.10.2006 - Format: 1080/60i - Gain: 0 - Fstop: 4 - Shutter: 1/120 - OIS: Off - Custom Preset: Factory Preset 9ish - Focus: Fixed - Zoom: Wide to zoomed in - Additional Rig: Manfrotto S503 Videohead

Description: Intended to slow down in the post. James doing the triple jump but shot from his back, wide angle to zoomed in while he proceeds his jump. Cast: James Ishido, Cam: Nancy Ito

3. Tripod James & me Triple auto focus Size: 51.9Mb - Added: 09.10.2006 - Format: 1080/60i - Gain:0 - Fstop: 4 - Shutter: 1/120 - OIS: Off - Custom Preset : Factory Preset 9ish - Focus: Auto low sensitivity - Zoom: Wide to zoomed in - Additional Rig: Manfrotto S503 Videohead

Description: Intended to slow down in the post, checking the auto focus on two casts moving. James and me doing the triple jump, shot from his back, wide angle to zoomed in while he proceeds his jump. Cast: James Ishido and Kaku Ito, Cam: Nancy Ito

4. Sundown kid throwing kiss Size: 26.55Mb - Added: 09.10.2006 - Format: 1080/60i - Gain: 0 - Fstop: 5.2 - Shutter: 1/60 - OIS: Off - Custom Preset: Factory Preset 8ish - Focus: Auto low sensitivity - Zoom: Manual zoom ring - Additional Rig: Shoulder attachment

Description: No intention, just wanted to catch the kid walking. Kid walking and turn around and throw a kiss and bye, slightly backlighted. Cast: Haruna, Cam: Kaku Ito

5. Neon signs during sunset Size: 56.73 - Added: 09.10.2006 - Format: 1080/60i - Gain: 0 - Fstop: 6.2 - Shutter: 1/60 - OIS: On - Custom Preset: cinelook 1 - Focus: Fixed - Zoom: Fixed - Additional Rig: None

Description: Famous Shibuya Station Neons during sunset. Cam: Kaku Ito

6. Makhari Panorama Pan Size: 167.77Mb - Added: 09.10.2006 - Format: 1080/60i - Gain: 0 - Fstop: 4.4 - Shutter: 1/120 - OIS: Off - Custom Preset: Cinelook 1 - Focus: Fixed - Zoom: Fixed - Additional Rig: Manfrotto S503 Videohead

Description: To check resolution on the wide angle with smooth panning, green field to the sparkling ocean with convention center in the background. Panned on the Manfrotto video head, wide angled at green field to the sparkling ocean with large buildings in the background. Since it is panning, I
turned off the optical stablizer but the wind was so strong and that is why it is little shaky. Cast: Masaya and Jonathan, Cam: Kaku Ito

7. Fountain direct sun Size: 60.35Mb - Added: 09.10.2006 - Format: 1080/60i - Gain: 0 - Fstop: 9.5 - Shutter: 1/60 - OIS: On - Custom Preset: cinelook 1 - Focus: Fixed - Zoom: Fixed - Additional Rig: None

Description: Water fountain in the middle of a pound with some direct sun between the tree. Cam: Kaku Ito

8. Bright to Shade Zoom out/in autofocus Size: 45.87Mb - Added: 09.10.2006 - Format: 1080/60i - Gain: 0 - Fstop: 3.4 - Shutter: 1/120 - OIS: Off - Custom Preset: Factory Preset 9ish - Focus: Auto low sensitivity - Zoom: Zoom in to wide angle as the cast gets closer - Additional Rig: Manfrotto S503 Videohead

Description: Intended to check the ability to cover bright and dark area in the same shot. Me doing the triple, cam covering the bright and dark area at the same time. Cast: Kaku Ito, Cam: Nancy Ito

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 08:14 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Stand by for more... there are some 24F clips, Glidecam clips, and other material to be posted shortly under separate topics.

Old October 9th, 2006, 08:33 AM   #3
Trustee

Mac users

Thanks very much for all of the work Chris.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 08:42 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

I think you're the one who did all of the work Kaku!

Old October 9th, 2006, 08:47 AM   #5
Trustee

This time around was a lot easier

Comparing to what I had to go through with XL H1 at that time, this time around was so much easier.

Thanks to FCP 5.2 being compatible with Canon's 24F, I captured the whole tapes, with automatic scene detection, each scenes are captured all separately. Then I selected the good clips, even set start and end time within the clips, all of the in/out information displayed in FCP's browser was so useful, then go to LumiereHD 1.7 manually to capture according to the information.

Gotta thank Frederic Haubrich for the help and making LumiereHD 1.7 compatible with Canon 24F format.
Old October 9th, 2006, 08:48 AM   #6
Regular Crew

May I be the first to say....wow......

TT
Tony Tremble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 09:32 AM   #7
Trustee

Hey Kaku, what are the main differences you can tell us about on Xl h1 vs G1? (apart from the obvious exchangable lenses)
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #8
Trustee

I just watched the footage and it looks freaking amazing. I'm dying to see some 24f footage!
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 09:38 AM   #9
Major Player

Yeah man... the low light really seems pretty good!
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 11:17 AM   #10
Major Player

The low-light indeed looks very promosing. Which settings did you use Kaku?
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 11:21 AM   #11
Trustee

Floris, are you not seeing where Kaku posted his settings?

I cannot wait to see these. Bandwidth on company server frees up tonight for downloading.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 11:26 AM   #12
Trustee

Thanks all.
Just before I go to sleep, 2:30am here in Japan, I just wanted to mention that...you ain't seeing nothing yet without seeing 24F for the low lights ;).

At 24F, I turn the f-stop back by a couple of stops because it was too bright!

So, sit back tight for the 24F clips.

The glidecam clips turned out to be so so, it was too windy. But V8 or smoothshooter are perfect size for G1/A1. Also my video head 503 was working good, too.

Also, if anyone knows, I want to confirm that setting Matrox MXO at 1080/60i is correct to playback 24F. It seems to be.
Old October 9th, 2006, 11:30 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper
Floris, are you not seeing where Kaku posted his settings?

I cannot wait to see these. Bandwidth on company server frees up tonight for downloading.
Thanks for following up, and Tom, how did you like the Canon clips this time? Especially over Sony.
Old October 9th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #14
Trustee

Kaku,
I haven't yet viewed the daylight clips. (Tonight!)

But what impressed me about the night lighted buds clips is a very encouraging sense of transparency and judder-free smoothness. It isn't much to go on, yet clips shot in less than ideal lighting/conditions can reveal weakness. But I didn't see a weakness. It is transparent, proper white balance, noise free. Based on that, I'm optimistically expectant the daylight clips will be stunning.

I like the new V1U clips also, but the 60i night lighted buds clips has more of the "reality" look I'm pursuing. So far, the 24p from the V1U while improved has a film look that many prefer, but not exactly what I want.

A strong lean toward the Canon, could clinch the deal when I view your new clips.

Different than last time when I selected the Z1U, this new Canon has the form factor, size and ergonomics I prefer, and a competitive price point. Had those factors been equal before, I would have probably selected the XL-H1 but I felt at that time the improvement in PQ if at all would not justify the extra price. But so far, I see some indication that the picture quality may be improved as with reduced noise and better low light as your video demonstrates.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 04:12 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Complete beginner here with a question. In the third clip, I'm seeing horizontal lines when I watch the shirts of the two riders. I'm viewing these with the VLC Media Player on a 19" LCD set at 1280x1024. Is it my hardware?

Thanks
Wade Hanchey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders