Download eight 1080/24F XH G1 clips provided by Kaku Ito at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 9th, 2006, 04:32 PM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

Download eight 1080/24F XH G1 clips provided by Kaku Ito

Note: download and save files to your local drive first before viewing. These are raw Mpeg transport streams that are best viewed on an HDTV. Shot descriptions provided by Kaku Ito.

1. Street band Size: 50.69Mb - Added: 09.10.2006 - Format: 1080/24F - Gain: 0 - Fstop: 3.2 - Shutter: 1/48 - OIS: On - Custom Preset: cinelook 1 - Focus: Manual focus ring - Zoom: Manual zoom ring - Additional Rig: None - Description: Drum kit playing, guitar, bass focus in out. Cam: Kaku Ito

2. Reflections of sunlight on waves Size: 56.73Mb - Added: 09.10.2006 - Format: 1080/24F - Gain: 0 - Fstop: 4.4 - Shutter: 1/150 - OIS: On - Custom Preset: Factory Preset - Focus: Fixed - Zoom: None - Additional Rig: Manfrotto S503 Videohead - Description: Looks of 24F with Preset 9 (Cinelook) faster shutter speed for slow speed in post. Reflections of sunlights on the waves. Zoomed in. Cam: Kaku Ito

3. Makhari Panorama Pan Size: 166.57Mb - Added: 09.10.2006 - Format: 1080/24F - Gain: 0 - Fstop: 7.3 - Shutter: 1/48 - OIS: Off - Custom Preset: Preset 9 (Cinelook) - Focus: Fixed - Zoom: None - Additional Rig: Manfrotto S503 Videohead - Description: Looks of 24F with Preset 9 (Cinelook). Panoramic scene of Makuhari slowly panned on a tripod. Compare with the similar one from XL H1 annd G1 60i version. Very strong wind is shaking the cam unfortunately. Cam: Kaku Ito

4. Handy Night Taxi ride Size: 120.7Mb - Added: 09.10.2006 - Format: 1080/24F - Gain: 0 - Fstop: 1.6 - Shutter: 1/48 - OIS: On - Custom Preset: Factory Preset - Focus: Fixed - Zoom: None - Additional Rig: None - Description: Requested by a lot of people from HDVinfo.net Night time taxi ride in Shibuya. Many different lights. Cam: Kaku Ito

5. Handy low light party Size: 30.17Mb - Added: 09.10.2006 - Format: 1080/24F - Gain: 0 - Fstop: 2.6 to 3.4 - Shutter: 1/48 - OIS: On - Custom Preset: Factory Preset - Focus: Auto low sensitivity - Zoom: Manual zoom ring - Additional Rig: None - Description: Low light situation, fixed shutter speed. Shot in the dark party with no added gain. Cast: Yoshimasa Kamei, Cam: Kaku Ito

6. Handy Kite Size: 80.87Mb - Added: 09.10.2006 - Format: 1080/24F - Gain: 0 - Fstop: 5.2 - Shutter: 1/48 - OIS: On - Custom Preset: cinelook 1 - Focus: Manual focus ring - Zoom: Manual zoom ring - Additional Rig: None - Description: Three people trying to fly their kite. Cam: Kaku Ito

7. Handy Harajuku Street Static Size: 38.62Mb - Added: 09.10.2006 - Format: 1080/24F - Gain: 0 - Fstop: 4 - Shutter: 1/48 - OIS: On - Custom Preset: Factory Preset - Focus: Fixed - Zoom: Fixed - Additional Rig: None - Description: Almost static shot with optical stabilizer on. Many people passing by in front of buildings. Cam: Kaku Ito

8. Handy dog and ball Size: 23Mb - Added: 09.10.2006 - Format: 1080/24F - Gain: 0 - Fstop: 3.4 - Shutter: 1/180 - OIS: On - Custom Preset: cinelook 1 - Focus: Manual focus ring - Zoom: Fixed zoomed in - Additional Rig: None - Description: Dog watching the ball in the field. Cam: Kaku Ito

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #2
Major Player

Thanks for posting these.

I just downloaded and watched in Premiere Pro 2.0.

I must say I am underwhelmed by what I saw. The colors are drab, the detail is ok - not great - and I see signs of CA especially in the kite scene.

****I correct myself. I watched the files in WM Player and it looked much crisper, although the color is still a bit bland. Nothing that can't be tweaked in post.

Last edited by Cody Lucido; October 9th, 2006 at 08:50 PM.
Cody Lucido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 06:17 PM   #3
Major Player

I thought they looked pretty good.. quite XL H1ish.

Liked the one with the party in low light - still preserves some nice colors.
Old October 9th, 2006, 06:23 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Lucido
I just downloaded and watched in Premiere Pro 2.0. I must say I am underwhelmed by what I saw.
The problem is that you're looking at them on a computer monitor, which is an injustice. Like I said before, these clips should be viewed on an HDTV display. Otherwise you're not seeing what they really look like.

Old October 9th, 2006, 08:14 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have to say, just watching it straight thru WMPlayer, on a 21" LCD HD Monitor, 1680x1050. This cam rocks! That taxi scene, lowlight is quite impressive, color & detail were crisp and vibrant in my books.

Thanks Kaku & Chris for posting & hosting these clips.
http://pages.infinit.net/cybrmonk/
Montreal, Quebec
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sean Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 08:17 PM   #6
Regular Crew

First, many thanks to both Kaku for the clips and Chris for expediting.
I searched but couldnt find this anywhere: what is the shutter speed range on this camera?
Jack Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

The shutter speed on the XH G1 and A1 ranges from 1/3rd sec. to 1/15,000th sec.

Old October 9th, 2006, 10:33 PM   #8
Trustee

Thank you Kaku and Chris...this preview footage is really a shopper/budgeter's best friend.
Old October 10th, 2006, 02:03 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks again for sharing this footage. Chris, you say it must be viewed on a HDTV. I have a 24" Dell widescreen TFT with a native resolution of 1900x1200. Why wouldn't I see this footage in the right resolution? As far as I know, that is the native 1080p resolution that should show the footage 100% correct.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 03:38 AM   #10
Trustee

I can't belive that some people actualy don't like this footage. I think it looks amazing on a HDV tv, on a regular tv and on a pc monitor. The dog footage looks like it was shot with a GOOD 35m adapter. I'm sold to the bone.
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 05:44 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes
I can't belive that some people actualy don't like this footage. I think it looks amazing on a HDV tv, on a regular tv and on a pc monitor. The dog footage looks like it was shot with a GOOD 35m adapter. I'm sold to the bone.
There's just an intangible asthetic to various cameras, and that's just going to make some people hate the same footage that others love. Actually, that's a good thing, certainly a lot better than measuring CCD pixels and performing 300% zooms on frame grabs to determine if a camera is good or bad. You can't always explain WHY you like or dislike some footage.. you just have that gut feeling.

I personally am very impressed with the stuff Kaku provided for us. But I've always liked Canon's video asthetic, so no surprise for me there. I certainly don't like everything about it though; the limited HDV colorspace combined with the 24F processing seems to leave a bit more stepping on some diagonal lines than I'd like to see (this may be mostly due to 4:2:0 though rather than 24F, not sure). The same effect makes the tail lights in the night shots appear rather blocky to me as well. But hey, its $3999 and I'm a realist. Its an absolutely incredible bang for the buck.

www.philipwilliams.com
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 06:24 AM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck
Chris, you say it must be viewed on a HDTV.
I'm saying it's *best* viewed on an HDTV.

Old October 10th, 2006, 08:28 AM   #13
Trustee

Ok. SO on the shot of the city street that is at an angle with people walking by......am I the only one that feels that the tree in the upper lefthand corner looks terrible? That looks like CA to me. I used to get footage like this with my XL2 when I used a Century Optics .7x wide angle adapter. I find that unnacceptable. It isn't in all shots however so I realize certain circumstances will exaggerate this.

I currently own an H1 and have never seen anything to that level even when using the 16x manual lens. This shot scares me. The rest of the image looks pretty tight.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 08:46 AM   #14
Major Player

That tree does look awful. Almost like it is double blurred.
Old October 10th, 2006, 09:09 AM   #15
Obstreperous Rex

Name the exact clip, please?

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders