DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   FISHEYE for A1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/77758-fisheye-a1.html)

Daniel Boswell October 19th, 2006 12:17 AM

FISHEYE for A1

I use my fisheye a lot for my Fx1. Just ordered an A1 ..anyone know where to get a Fish?

Stefan Scherperel October 19th, 2006 04:46 AM

anything with 72mm threads will work, including, I'm guessing, the one you use for your fx1

Daniel Boswell October 19th, 2006 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan Scherperel
anything with 72mm threads will work, including, I'm guessing, the one you use for your fx1

Thanks for the reply Stefan.

Probably not a bayonet mount though..correct?

My Century Optics for my FX is a bayonet mount.

Bogdan Tyburczy October 19th, 2006 09:44 AM

Then most likely it will not fit. To be sure try it on any XL servo lens e.g. with XL2 since XH-A1 and XH-G1 are fully compatible with XL lens accessories.

Daniel Boswell October 19th, 2006 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogdan Tyburczy
Then most likely it will not fit. To be sure try it on any XL servo lens e.g. with XL2 since XH-A1 and XH-G1 are fully compatible with XL lens accessories.

Cool...so I can just buy any Fisheye that will fit with The XLs and it will fit my new A1.

Correct?

Jim Martin October 19th, 2006 12:01 PM

No....Canon's different lenses (14x,16x auto,16x servo,20x auto,20xHD auto) all had/have diferent bayonet "ridges"....different lengths,thickness, and positions. So its not likely any of the existing units will work unless they are 72mm screw-ins. I'm sure Century will put a fisheye out as soon as they can....as well as W/A's and T/C's. Canon is shipping it's W/A converter at the same time as the cameras (Oct 25th, dealers getting them by the start of the following week).

Bogdan Tyburczy October 19th, 2006 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Martin
No....Canon's different lenses (14x,16x auto,16x servo,20x auto,20xHD auto) all had/have diferent bayonet "ridges"....different lengths,thickness, and positions

That's not quite true. All auto (or servo) XL lenses that come standard with XL1, XL1s, XL2 and XL-H1 share the same 72mm thread, front and rear bayonet mounts. Same applies to 3x wide angle IS zoom lens (also with 72mm thread).

Different blade positions do not matter unless you consider anamorphic adapter, which as far as I know, is not commercially manufactured for Canon XL cams.

I did not mention manual lenses.

Lens accessories that fit those XL lenses, will also fit the XH series, at least according to unofficial information from Canon. Imo, it would be extremely unwise to use different standard in XH camcorders. From the photos and specifications available, it's almost certain they will be compatible with 72mm XL lens accessories (both screw-mount and bayonet-mount).

So far I had no problems with Century Optics wide angle bayonet-mount adapter in different XL camcorders with 16x and 20x IS lenses so your statement is incorrect. As far as physical mounts are concerned, they are compatible. Maybe there are some minor external differences in manufacturing, but the standard is the same.

As far as optical compatibility is concerned, there may be differences due to different focal lengths and focusing distances of XL lenses and XH series. Working range of fisheye/wide angle/telephoto adapters may be different with XH camcorders than with XL series.

Jim Martin October 19th, 2006 04:52 PM

Try to put the Cent .7x, for the 16x auto lens, and put it on the 16x servo lens and see if it fits......

Jim Martin

Chris Hurd October 19th, 2006 05:09 PM

Actually you're both right...

Jim Martin is quite correct when he points out the discrepancies in the bayonet mounting blades between the 16x manual lens and any XL auto lens (including the 16x auto, 20x auto etc.)

However the blades are indeed identical among the auto lenses (16x IS II, 20x L IS, 20x HD, etc.)

Bogdan Tyburczy October 19th, 2006 05:27 PM

Oh, I was not precise enough expressing my thought. I meant XL auto lenses only (standard with XL1, XL1s, XL2 and XL-H1), not manual lenses.