A1 XLR input??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 20th, 2006, 11:47 PM   #1
New Boot

A1 XLR input???

Does the A1 have an XLR input on it, like the G1?

The lad at Vistek informed me that unfortunately the A1 was missing this feature.
Tyler Graas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 12:53 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I see xlr's in the third shot down on an A1 body:
http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxh/articles/images1.php

I hope this is the way it ships. Nothing about xlr's on canon's site though in regards to A1 or G1.
Jack Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 04:28 AM   #3
Major Player

Both camera's are the same except for the professional jack pack. So yes, there are two XLR outputs on the Canon XH-A1. You see it on the pictures that Chris and posted in the forums and on the XH watchdog site.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 08:11 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

That's right -- everything is identical between the A1 and G1 including the XLR jacks. The only difference is the SDI, Genlock and TimeCode jacks on the G1.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 10:01 AM   #5
New Boot

That's what i thought too based on looking at the pictures. But i called vistek in Toronto (the largest supplier) and the guy in the camera department was trying to tell me the A1 had no XLR jacks.

I had a feeling he was wrong. Especially when he was doing everything in his power to upsell me to the G1.

He does not know when they ship. But their website says October 30th.
Tyler Graas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 03:38 AM   #6
Major Player

He probarbly messed up the Sony HVR-FX7 and Sony HVR-V1 with the Canon XH-A1 and Canon XH-G1. The Sony HVR-FX7 has no XLR connections.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 03:59 PM   #7
Contributor

Tell the salesman to go check out Canon's website.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 09:41 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I believe that the xlrs are on the A1 but the odd thing is it doesnt say it anywhere that I can find on the canon site about xlr's on either cam. Canon is still unusually vague about these cameras on their website, even though they are about to be released? No official general spec page? No tech specs? What gives?
Old October 23rd, 2006, 09:59 AM   #9
Wrangler

My recollection from previous camcorder releases is that Canon doesn't put that kind of info on its web site until the initial lot of cameras is actually en route to retailers. That's just the way they do it.

But as far as the XLR jacks go, people here including Kennelmaster Chris, have had product briefings from Canon, have had their hands on pre-production XH cameras, and have posted pictures here on DVi. They say the only difference between the A1 and the G1 is the Pro Jackpack. That's enough evidence for me.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 10:00 AM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Jenkins
Canon is still unusually vague about these cameras on their website, even though they are about to be released? No official general spec page? No tech specs?
Now you know how I felt, when I decided to launch the XL1 Watchdog back in 1997.

At any rate, Canon USA will *eventually* have more information on their web site, but in the meantime, refer to my XH Series Watchdog pages located at http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxh/watchdog.php -- rest assured everything you see there is accurate, including the presence of XLR jacks on the XH A1 (and yes I have seen it myself, held it my own two hands, and once again yes there are XLR jacks).

If my site isn't good enough for you, if you must have a *Canon* reference, then simply go to the Canon Japan site and run their XH pages through a Google Language Tools translator:

http://cweb.canon.jp/prodv/xhg1/index.html

Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 10:03 AM   #11
Contributor

You're right, the web site totally sucks. I've been getting my info from Chris's XH Watchdog site here. Don't know why I said Canon web site when I meant watchdog site. There's a brochure pdf out there somewhere, but it doesn't have any specs either. I guess since the camera is the same thing as the H1 except for the lens and the differences Chris mentions, then they assume that's all that's needed.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 10:33 AM   #12
Contributor

Hereyago. It's on the Canon EU site. Scroll down to the bottom and you'll see the XLRs listed as a feature. I knew I had seen it on a Canon site someplace. The EU sites always have more info than the U.S. ones, it seems.

http://www.canon-europe.com/For_Home...ion_HDV/XH_A1/
Old October 23rd, 2006, 12:02 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I know the info is out there, and Chris's FAQ site is awesome. I just find it really odd that they dont list this stuff thats available elesewhere on the US site.
Its quirky.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 12:06 PM   #14
Regular Crew

It makes me think they are gonna do a quick last minute switch to 2/3" CMOS ccds...and H264 codec instead of HDV....LOL
Old October 23rd, 2006, 03:03 PM   #15
Contributor

Yeah, right, heheheh.
It's also weird that to get to their professional cameras you have to go to the consumer site and click on a picture of a little single chip camera. At least you can find their site. I remember when you really had to know somebody to even find Sony's site. There's some rule the equipment manufacturers have, I think, that it's unacceptable for them to have a really good web site.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders