A1's shipping date postponed to the beginning of November at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 23rd, 2006, 07:14 AM   #1
Trustee

A1's shipping date postponed to the beginning of November

A1's shipping date postponed to the beginning of November, but G1's shipping date acutally got earlier.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 07:53 AM   #2
Regular Crew

is this delayed worldwide or just in japan?
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 09:24 AM   #3
Trustee

This information is for Japan, but usually conflict worldwide I would imagine.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 09:27 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Whenever I hear such things I always want to defer my buying date by a few months too. Don't be first in line to be a prototype tester for the company.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 10:15 AM   #5
Major Player

Kaku,

Any idea why the delay? I'm guessing most people will assume they found a problem with the cameras, but what could possibly be fixed in one week?
Brent Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 10:27 AM   #6
Trustee

It seems to me that it is change of strategy? Maybe they wanted to start selling in the world at the same time if they do start shipping in the beginning of November.

Actually, I was briefly informed that it was the manufacturing cause, mainly due to the high demand.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 12:11 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I had thought that the cameras for the US were shipped weeks ago and were waiting customs, so they should already be here (somewhere)...
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 01:30 PM   #8
Major Player

Well, not quite I'm afraid. They're supposedly still at Canon.

I sent Canon support an email and got this word back from them:

Quote:
Dear Mr. Graham:

Thank you for writing to us. We value you as a Canon customer and
appreciate the opportunity to assist you with available information on
the XH A1 camcorder.

We have been informed the estimated ship date to Canon Authorized
Dealers is Oct. 30, 2006 instead of today. We apologize for any
inconvenience this may cause.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Please feel free to contact
us again if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Althea
Technical Support Representative
Old October 23rd, 2006, 08:45 PM   #9
Contributor

Does anybody know if that ship date means the date they are sent from the factory to the dealers, or the date they will be shipped from the dealer to the customer? It would be nice to know when the big dealers will have them in stock. I'd spend the money to fly to Chicago to see one if necessary.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 09:01 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Graham
Well, not quite I'm afraid. They're supposedly still at Canon.

I sent Canon support an email and got this word back from them:
If anything ever was on time I would have a freaking heart attack.

Same thing with this http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

it has been delayed like 3 times now.

I hate that crap.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 09:14 PM   #11
Major Player

When will the G1 launch compared to the A1? Two weeks later? Or are they released at the same day now? One thing I know for sure, is that these camera's are almost here and will likely be worth the wait.

About prototype testing, I do not expect many problems to occur. And if they occur, they will replace of fix your unit. And also do not expect Canon to fix things like CA or something in a later stadium. The flaws of the XL-H1 are also not fixed around a year after it's release.

So I cannot see why one would wait. Then you will be waiting forever. Why? If you wait let's say six months to be sure that all is well, Sony will announce the Z2 or Panasonic a new camcorder which will challenge you to wait again. Then it will be the same story all over again. So if I go for one of these two camcorders, I will buy it when it launches and not a day later.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 09:17 PM   #12
Major Player

I agree Floris, I have never understood that "wait and see" mentality when you are talking about technology that is in constant flux.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 09:56 PM   #13
Major Player

Sometimes, 'purchasing the perfect camera' is the only excuse we can come up with for not actually filming that movie we so badly wish we would just make.
Old October 24th, 2006, 08:04 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Maybe. Though, I think that that if all you wanted to do is make a movie, you'd hire a DP with an HD camera package. That would be a lot cheaper than buying a $4k camera.
Dave Halliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 09:51 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Ethington
I had thought that the cameras for the US were shipped weeks ago and were waiting customs, so they should already be here (somewhere)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
Does anybody know if that ship date means the date they are sent from the factory to the dealers, or the date they will be shipped from the dealer to the customer? It would be nice to know when the big dealers will have them in stock. I'd spend the money to fly to Chicago to see one if necessary.
Quote from Canon USA: "We have been informed the estimated ship date to Canon Authorized
Dealers is Oct. 30, 2006 instead of today. We apologize for any
inconvenience this may cause."

My interpretation of the situation is that the machines are shipped from Japan (air freight or a boat) to probably one or two "warehouse" locations in USA (*maybe* one West Coast, and one East Coast but thats an educated guess) and then from there they are transported to each Canon authorised dealer by rail/road/air.

From Canon's statment, that sounds like the machines will start to depart to be transported to the actual Canon dealers in about 6 days time. So right now i'd imagine they are either in the country at the "large warehouses" or passing customs inspection or, if not, then at least they'll be physically arriving in the USA (via air freight or sea freight) in the next 2 or 3 days.

Sea freight from Japan (IF it's sea freight - it might be air freight) will take several weeks to arrive at USA, possibly about 4 weeks. Maybe longer if it's going sea freight to East Coast as it would have to go thru Panama Canal etc.

Summary: IMO machines to commence journey to actual Canon dealers all over USA on 30th Oct, and will arrive at most a few days after that, so should be available approx towards end of 1st week of November. (IMO).
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders