Range Finder and Matte Box? How? . .and a matter of a Manfrotto overide . . at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 23rd, 2006, 11:57 PM   #1
Old Boot

Range Finder and Matte Box? How? . .and a matter of a Manfrotto overide . .

Eh? .. If this has been raised before, apologies, but . ..

At the IoV Annual Convention, here in the UK, and along with a Canon and a Manfrotto guy and another 3 enthusiasts we crawled over a PRE-PRODUCTION model. Apart from being unable to get the Frotti 521Pro PUSH focus to override the Manual focus, for that all important PUSH Focus, we then tried a Matte box. Well, yes we used a step-up ring for the Kestrel MB good, but to the left - looking AT the camera head-on - of the main lens there is this secondary range-finder portal. Once we had the matte box on the camera it blocked this range-finder. What do we think guys?

Oh, and back to the Frotti 521Pro, we tried it on a XM2. It worked. It was NOT a faulty LANC controller.

So:

#1 - Range finder obscured by a "standard" matte box ( are there other MBs that allow for this? Dunno?)

#2 - The Manfrotto 521Pro not overriding the Manual Focus for the PUSH focus snap. ( I haven't seen this , but Canon have a V2000 LANC that does override the Manual focus. So the functionality is there. Interesting. )

G
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:45 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

There are two AF modes on the camera... "normal" and "instant." When the rangefinder port is blocked by a matte box (or whatever), only the "instant" function is lost. Normal AF still performs as usual.

Can't speak to the Push AF issue on the controller...

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 01:18 AM   #3
Old Boot

Thanks Chris. Notwithstanding your comment on the LANC override, will this "Normal AF" take the place when required, to be overridden? I realise this is part of the LANC link, and you say you can't answer, but, IMHO, it still does need to be clarified.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 04:07 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Graham, I'm just saying I can't answer your point #2 because I don't know.

Regarding the sensor being blocked by a matte box, you'll need to access the camera setup menu and tell the camera to disregard Instant AF and use only Normal AF. hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders