A1--couple of questions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 27th, 2006, 05:13 PM   #16
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Has anybody determined for sure if it will play 24F.
Yes, for sure, the HV10 will play back both 24F and 30F Frame modes.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 08:38 PM   #17
Major Player

Is there anyway to dump a 24f project into a 60i timeline and maintain the look of 24f?
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 08:51 PM   #18
Obstreperous Rex

Which NLE are you referring to, so I can move your post to the appropriate software discussion forum?

Old October 28th, 2006, 08:53 AM   #19
Major Player

That's the issue I'm having... I would consider the HV10, but I would rather purchase a true deck with all the extra outputs and such, and that Sony seemed to work great, but as you guys said no 24F... which isn't a complete killer, but nice to have available in a deck

Boy Canon really needs to make a deck!
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 09:34 AM   #20
Contributor

I agree. I think especially as good as the H1 is that a lot of smaller production houses that now use bigger SD cameras would move to Canon if decks were available. Especially when you consider that you could get two or three H1 cameras and a deck (assuming a reasonably priced deck) for less money than any 2/3" chip camera, or even less than the XDCAM HD 1/2" chip camera.

I've always been nervous about not having a 2/3" chip camera, and even times when I've gone out with a DSR250 on a shoot, I always took the DSR500 along "just in case." However, I've been shooting more and more with smaller cameras, and with the quality of what I've seen from some of the HDV 1/3" chip cameras, I could easily go that route today. But in our company, we'd need a real deck for each edit room.

On a personal level, however, I probably could live without a deck for awhile if necessary, but it's not ideal. It seems to me that Canon hasn't quite decided whether it makes professional or consumer cameras. For instance, you go to their web site and you have to click on Consumer Products, then you get a picture of a little single chip consumer camera and you click on it and it will take you to the professional ones. If they really want to start selling in the smaller TV and producer market, a separate (or apparently separate) professional division as JVC has would help, I think, as well as a deck. But that's just my jaded opinion and it won't keep me from getting the A1 if my personal project is appropriate for it in the near future.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 09:31 PM   #21
Regular Crew

For output to DVD or Blu Ray or whatever, is 30f preferable and better quality than 24f ALL the time?

Also I notice that the A1 does 60f I believe. Is this for HD mode only?

Jerry
Jerry Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Gordon
For output to DVD or Blu Ray or whatever, is 30f preferable and better quality than 24f ALL the time?

Also I notice that the A1 does 60f I believe. Is this for HD mode only?

Jerry
2 things. I think technically 24f will always be superior to 30f as the data rate stays constant. So simple math says 25mbps\24 is going to give you a better ratio than 25mbps\30. Now, mpg encoding may change that formula a little but I think as a rule you will have less compression visible in 24f.....not that is very visible at all in the first place.

60F? On the A1? I don't think so. Maybe you are thinking of the new JVC. If the A1 has it too then I am even more excited!

Peace!

Last edited by Marty Hudzik; October 29th, 2006 at 12:18 AM.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 10:03 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik

60F? On the A1? I don't think so. Maybe you are thinking of the new JVC. If the A1 has it too then I am even more excited!

Peace!
Thanks Marty, I had read somewhere that 30 was better but I may have misread it.

I definitely mistyped above...I meant 60i no f..I am sorry for that.

Is 60i specifically for HD?

thanks
Jerry.
Old October 29th, 2006, 04:56 AM   #24
Wrangler

60i is good ol' 50+ year old NTSC interlaced standard. It has 30 frames per second (well, actually 29.97 for ancient technical reasons), with each frame being composed of two fields, one of which has the even scan lines and the other the odd scan lines. Fields are displayed every 1/60th of a second. There are quite a few threads on DVi about the technicalities and vagarities of interlaced video, so if it piques your interest and you have a high tolerance for pain, try a keyword search.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 08:39 AM   #25
Regular Crew

...it can do 60f 720 though right?
Jack Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 10:20 AM   #26
Trustee

I hope you are joking. If not, the Xl-H1, A1/G1 and HV10 do no form of 720P let alone a 60F variety.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 10:42 AM   #27
Obstreperous Rex

Absolutely no 720 on any Canon HDV camcorder.

Old October 29th, 2006, 11:11 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Absolutely no 720 on any Canon HDV camcorder.
Pete thanks....at least I know what the i stood for..I feel like an idiot, it was right there in front of me.

And what you saiid now lays it all open and very clear to me what the 60i and the 30f and so on mean.

But Chris, my question to you and maybe there is an answer already posted, if so I am sorry.

Is 720 desirable over the others? and if so why? I would assume it is more of something the professionals would use?
thanks
Jerry
Old October 29th, 2006, 11:26 AM   #29
Contributor

They are just two standards. Some think one is better, others think the other. Sony and Canon do 1080i, JVC and Panasonic do 720. Two networks do 720p, two do 1080i. Sony and Canon derive P for I, so they're a little more versatile.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 11:01 PM   #30
Regular Crew

I thought the panny HVX does 720p and 1080p?
Jack Jenkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders