Full XH-A1 review - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Closed Thread

Old October 30th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #16
Contributor

This is why when we get scripts translated we use native speakers of the language. Literal word translations can be very amusing. One of my favorites was the Chevy Nova. When they started selling the car in Mexico and other Latin American countries, they discovered that no va means it won't go. And I was doing a French translation one time when the translator called me up, still laughing like crazy. Turns out one of the brand names was a dirty word in French.
Old October 30th, 2006, 11:12 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Oh yeah, it happens quite frequently. In Poland for example, OSRAM is marketing their lighting equipment, but their brand name is quite dirty word in Polish, very close to sh*t. Coca Cola had similar problems in some countries as far as I heard.

Let's just get what we can from this particular article and have fun of all the rest without complaining too much. Hey, at least we can have some laugh which original version does not deliver, and article is still useful.
Old October 31st, 2006, 03:09 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Or there was that time when the foreign furniture company tried to sell a dining room set in the United States under the name "Notable" and it failed miserably because everyone thought it didn't come with the table.
Old October 31st, 2006, 11:23 PM   #19
Major Player

The classic example of this kind of horribly literal mistranslation is the infamous Portuguese-English phrasebook English As She Is Spoke.

:)
Old November 1st, 2006, 05:45 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I am always amazed by how well Japanese and Chinese (and of course many other Asian languages) native speakers manage with the English language as their own languages are fundamentally different in their construction.

The automated translation software gives us a tiny insight into the mental gymnastics that are being performed daily by some non-native English speakers on these fora. Respect...

TT
Old November 1st, 2006, 05:50 AM   #21
Major Player

I second that.
Old November 1st, 2006, 06:23 AM   #22
Obstreperous Rex

Thank you Tony -- that's really a very good way to (finally) close out this thread.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders