DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XH A1 questions derived from Chris's FAQ page. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/78553-xh-a1-questions-derived-chriss-faq-page.html)

Jerry Gordon October 30th, 2006 10:20 PM

XH A1 questions derived from Chris's FAQ page.

1. THanks for that page.

2. On the VX2100, there is a shutter just in front of the front lens that you can flip shut to protect the lens(plastic). Does the A1 have something similar to that? something you can flip shut when not in use to protect the glass? If not is there something you can get like an add on?

3. Obviously, one would prob need extra battery or two. What brand is the best as spare batteries for the Canon camcorders like this? I used Lenmar on the vx2100. I am sure the canon ones would be the best, but many times the replacement other brand batteries you can get them with more time on them than the brand(canon) ones.

4. Manual iris...what the devil is it and what does it do? if this has been posted or a resource to explain it please post the link. What would this be used for and if I used the auto mode a lot would it be in the way or a factor?
(showing my limited knowledge)

5. As we only have the XL series now, and these are similar, in the auto mode how is the white balance, colors, and how accurate is the metering, in the XL's?

6. ......nor do their accessory shoes accept Advanced Accessory Shoe attachments such as the Canon MA-300 XLR audio input block or the Canon VL-3 video light.....
From the FAQ page...does this mean there is no shoe for an external light source at all?

7. If there is a hot shoe for external light source, what external light would work best on them? That VL-3 sounds like it is a great light source...too bad it won't work on the A1.

8. Filter thread is 72mm. Any recommendations for an excellent protective filter to use on it? I usually use B & W brand, but just wondering what XL owners and prospective owners would recommend.....I always use a protective glass on all my canon glass. Would I want it to be UV or just clear?

9. Going back to the battery, it will be nice to be able to change the battery without taking it off the tripod, but I would assume that a non canon battery would have to be the same size as the canon as to fit in the hole as it is internal?

10. Canon TA-100 Is this the only tripod mounting plate that can be used? I haven't seen one, but I have bogen tripods that use the rc2 plate( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...cessory_detail) and would hope that would work so I don't have to buy new tripods. any ideas? XL owners?

11. You mentioned in the specs "1.485 Gbps uncompressed HD-SDI output (XH G1 only)" I assume that is describing the SDI output. WOuld I be correct that the A1 puts out UNCOMPRESSED HD as well, just not thru SDI and maybe not as fast?

12. I think those were the only questions provoked by the FAQ page for now, except does anyone know yet of where one might download or view the manual for these camcorders?

I was gonna ask how the wide angle compares to the vx2100 but since Curt has put the A1's wide angle measurements up, I can research that one.

Thanks a million
Jerry

Jerry Gordon October 30th, 2006 10:32 PM

whew the 32mm is much better for WA than the vx2100 at 43.2mm so that is a relief, still may need to invest in a little wider angle adapter later.

But it is slower at the full telephoto end than the vx but the vx is only 12x vs 20x on the A1, so that is comparable and about the same if not better, right? and that 20x is optical, not digital?

I reread the FAQ site and saw mention of the aperture controlled by the iris ring..is that the manual iris ring I asked about above? If so, is it not possible to shoot in the auto mode and let the camcorder set the aperture itself? I can't seeing everything being auto but the aperture.
thanks
Jerry.

Pete Bauer October 30th, 2006 10:48 PM

I haven't seen an XH camera yet, but will answer what I can since Chris is traveling this evening. These cameras should be in peoples' hands in the next couple of weeks and then more will be definitively known.

1. I'm sure Chris will say, "You're welcome."

2. No. You'd use the lens cap and/or a screw-on 72mm filter.

3. Your warranty MAY be voided by using a third-party battery. The new Canon G series batteries are really expensive but they really are awesome. If you do choose to go third-party, Lenmar has a good reputation and I do have one of their batteries that I used on an older camera. But the amazing capacity of these G batteries makes them worth their very high price, IMO.

4. When people refer to manual iris, they mean a ring around the lens to change the aperture, similar to the zoom and focus rings. Analogous to SLR camera lenses. Note the three knurled rings on the Watchdog page pics. You can choose whether to shoot manual or auto in a number of ways: "Green Box", Auto, Tv, Av, full manual......

5. Metering will undoubtedly be good. The XL has different metering modes in its photo mode, like an SLR. In video mode, I don't recall that the exact metering algorithm is specified. Some people have thought that the camera tends to underexpose a little; this kind of depends on how you set your EVF, zebras, etc. When I first got the H1, I did tend to underexpose some shots, too, but quickly solved it with a combination of the above and a little "target practice."

6. I can't be sure, but I think the XH's have a "cold shoe." The fitting is there to attach things, but the camera won't supply power or data to the shoe.

7. FWIW, I used a VL-3 in my GL2 days. Nice little light for tight shots, but it won't help you past about 3-4 feet or for very wide angle shots. (I'll probably sell mine with my GL2 whenever I get around to putting my previous cameras up for sale...)

8. Probably people will have a variety of opinions on filters from "it is video blasphemy to use a filter," to advocating every brand under the sun, to "you MUST use a matte box." I generally leave a Tiffen UV onboard, except for critical shoots under very controlled conditions, but honestly haven't been especially impressed with their quality. What filter to use, if any, is a generic question that'll take some research.

9. The battery compartment will fit the largest Canon battery, so any compatible third party battery shouldn't have a problem. If you are going to set up an Anton Bauer system, someone else will have to comment as I haven't used them.

10. I'm quite confident that you can use any standard tripod plate. I use a Vinten Vision 3 with my XL H1's.

11. Canon historically has updated their web site with support info such as PDF's of the User Manual when the cameras are actually reaching retailers, and not a moment before. Don't think we'll see that change.

Marty Hudzik October 30th, 2006 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Gordon
is it not possible to shoot in the auto mode and let the camcorder set the aperture itself? I can't seeing everything being auto but the aperture.
thanks
Jerry.

Of course you will be able to shoot in full auto mode and the camera will do all of this for you including exposure. The control is there when you want it...the big thing about the A1/G1 is the iris ring is back on the barrel of the lens where they were meant to be. Now if just wasn't a servo.....

but since it is we can have auto exposure too!

Peace!

Jerry Gordon October 31st, 2006 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Bauer
I haven't seen an XH camera yet, but will answer what I can since Chris is traveling this evening. These cameras should be in peoples' hands in the next couple of weeks and then more will be definitively known.

1. I'm sure Chris will say, "You're welcome."

2. No. You'd use the lens cap and/or a screw-on 72mm filter.

3. Your warranty MAY be voided by using a third-party battery. The new Canon G series batteries are really expensive but they really are awesome. If you do choose to go third-party, Lenmar has a good reputation and I do have one of their batteries that I used on an older camera. But the amazing capacity of these G batteries makes them worth their very high price, IMO.

4. When people refer to manual iris, they mean a ring around the lens to change the aperture, similar to the zoom and focus rings. Analogous to SLR camera lenses. Note the three knurled rings on the Watchdog page pics. You can choose whether to shoot manual or auto in a number of ways: "Green Box", Auto, Tv, Av, full manual......

5. Metering will undoubtedly be good. The XL has different metering modes in its photo mode, like an SLR. In video mode, I don't recall that the exact metering algorithm is specified. Some people have thought that the camera tends to underexpose a little; this kind of depends on how you set your EVF, zebras, etc. When I first got the H1, I did tend to underexpose some shots, too, but quickly solved it with a combination of the above and a little "target practice."

6. I can't be sure, but I think the XH's have a "cold shoe." The fitting is there to attach things, but the camera won't supply power or data to the shoe.

7. FWIW, I used a VL-3 in my GL2 days. Nice little light for tight shots, but it won't help you past about 3-4 feet or for very wide angle shots. (I'll probably sell mine with my GL2 whenever I get around to putting my previous cameras up for sale...)

8. Probably people will have a variety of opinions on filters from "it is video blasphemy to use a filter," to advocating every brand under the sun, to "you MUST use a matte box." I generally leave a Tiffen UV onboard, except for critical shoots under very controlled conditions, but honestly haven't been especially impressed with their quality. What filter to use, if any, is a generic question that'll take some research.

9. The battery compartment will fit the largest Canon battery, so any compatible third party battery shouldn't have a problem. If you are going to set up an Anton Bauer system, someone else will have to comment as I haven't used them.

10. I'm quite confident that you can use any standard tripod plate. I use a Vinten Vision 3 with my XL H1's.

11. Canon historically has updated their web site with support info such as PDF's of the User Manual when the cameras are actually reaching retailers, and not a moment before. Don't think we'll see that change.

Thanks Pete, yes I understand no one has it yet and thought that since it compared sort of to the XL that most answers would be close.

So on 2, there should be a lens cap included then right? that is good enough.

On 3, I had not thought of the warranty, but if the capacity of the new batteries is great then no need to look for other things..so thanks on that one.

On 4, thanks for making the analogy to the SLR, that makes it understandable to me, thanks for that.

On 6, I would assume that Canon has external lights that will be battery powered like the vx2100?

On 8, I understand. I like to put a protective filter on my glass as soon as I get it and never remove it....unless i dirty the protective filter. I have a bad habit of aciidentally putting finger prints and such on the glass....thus all I have to change is the filter and not try and clean the glass.

On 9 thanks for the reply, but it is prob mute since I will now go with the Canon battery after your explanation above.

That manual would be nice to have now...not only to see the different things, but for me to start learning the camera.

Thanks so much for your time and replies....you have answered them all and I am happy...it will be good to see on hands reviews on these..
thanks
Jerry

Jerry Gordon October 31st, 2006 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik
Of course you will be able to shoot in full auto mode and the camera will do all of this for you including exposure. The control is there when you want it...the big thing about the A1/G1 is the iris ring is back on the barrel of the lens where they were meant to be. Now if just wasn't a servo.....

but since it is we can have auto exposure too!

Peace!

Thanks Marty that is comforting.
I have tried manual so many times in my DSLR and still haven't got the hang of it.....the only other mode I use other than Program/auto is Tv when I do waterfalls..I have that down pretty pat..
thanks
Jerry.

Jack Jenkins October 31st, 2006 11:53 AM

Hey Jerry, I agree with you on the protective filter. But on my GL1 I had a UV filter on it from the beggining and after awhile I realized that in bright conditions I was getting a wierd glare because of the filter. It made me more paranoid about getting a bad image than a messed up lens surface so I have been going "unprotected" from that point on. Is there a particular filter you use that doesnt give glare? That giant 72mm A1 lens is going to be vulnerable.

Jerry Gordon October 31st, 2006 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Jenkins
Hey Jerry, I agree with you on the protective filter. But on my GL1 I had a UV filter on it from the beggining and after awhile I realized that in bright conditions I was getting a wierd glare because of the filter. It made me more paranoid about getting a bad image than a messed up lens surface so I have been going "unprotected" from that point on. Is there a particular filter you use that doesnt give glare? That giant 72mm A1 lens is going to be vulnerable.

I can understand that....I use the B and W multicoated filters...high dollar for a filter but the Multicoat is supposed to reduce or prevent reflection among other things. http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...ay.aspx?CID=57 end of first paragraph it mentions the multi coating..

I almost learned the hard way and that sold me on a protective filter no matter what...I slipped with my 1dMk II DSLR and it hit the ground hard(rock) and smashed and cracked the hood to the point that the end of the lens hit the rock also and shattered the protective filter and dinged the threads(outer ones) and just ruined the filter, and the lens was fine, thank God.
thanks
Jerry

Jack Jenkins October 31st, 2006 09:03 PM

thanks for the link Jerry, those look like nice quality.

Jerry Gordon November 1st, 2006 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Jenkins
thanks for the link Jerry, those look like nice quality.

no prob, glad to contribute a little something..

Being more on the still digital camera side some of it can cross over.

For what it's worth I buy my filters at http://www.2filters.com/ which is highly recommended by pro photographers and they carry the b and w and other filters.
Jerry

Scott Keyworth November 7th, 2006 10:18 AM

Anton/Bauer ElipZ Fits the A1 ang G1

The Elipz battery mounts under the camera and we use a Canon "faux" battery via a cable as the power conntector. (CA-ADP-ELPZ)

This will work in both the A1 anf G1.

THe ElipZ is a 10,500 mah battery and can power the new ElightZ also from A/B.

See web page for details (battery, charger, cable, and light under $520.00 USD

Scott Keyworth
Anton/Bauer Inc.