A1 - Hard Case or Soft Case? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 21st, 2007, 04:30 AM   #61
New Boot

Pelican 1560 and 1510

Now that you purchased the Pelican 1560 you may want to look at the padded divider set for it. You can stand the camera up with a shotgun mic attached and close the case without any pressure on the camera.

The padded divider set for the 1510 does not work well since they did not make the entire inside velcro so that you could move the divider anywhere you want.

Both divider sets are available from B&H.

Last edited by Ken Nelson; March 21st, 2007 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Misspelled word
Ken Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 04:55 AM   #62
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Dempsey View Post
The one I have is no longer made. It belonged to my photographer wife and she gave it to me when I got the A1. An equivalent is this one:

http://www.tamrac.com/ExpeditionBackpacks.htm (Model 5575)

It's about $130
Those do look pretty nice. Yet, every time I see a backpack configuration I immediately begin to have visions of me falling backwards and smashing a couple thousand bucks worth of gear :)

And don't even get me started when I see those baby back packs!
Old March 23rd, 2007, 04:43 PM   #63
New Boot

Kata CC-193

Just got the Kata CC-193 for my XH A1.

Overall Impressions are very good: comfortable handle and strap, plenty of room for accessories. I have the cam, which could be stowed with a shotgun attached, a bunch of tapes, 2 windscreens, shotgun mic, battery, charger and cords, av cables, book, remote, and there is still room a set of wireless receivers and the like.

Other good things, the case is very rigid for a soft case and the dividers on each end keep the camera away from the edges. Also, very nice quality of all materials and construction. And a nice little "seatbelt" for the cam to keep it in place.

Bad things: The dual zipper top doesn't work as smooth as you think it would. I think a single zipper all the way around would have worked better. Also the modular design with movable panels is pretty useless as there is only one possible configuration with the included pieces. However, it XH A1 fits perfectly in the default configuration.

Also, the bag was a bit bigger than expected, but everything is easily accessible and I am very pleased with it for $125 shipped.
Attached Thumbnails
A1 - Hard Case or Soft Case?-img_0987.jpg  
Nick Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 01:22 PM   #64
New Boot

Thank you, Nick. This is exactly what I needed. I was also choosing between the Kata 191 and 193 bags for my A1. How much (dead) space is between the cam handle and the top of the bag?
/Thomas
Thomas Lundberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 04:23 PM   #65
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Lundberg View Post
Thank you, Nick. This is exactly what I needed. I was also choosing between the Kata 191 and 193 bags for my A1. How much (dead) space is between the cam handle and the top of the bag?
/Thomas
I would say about 3 inches of usable space from the handle, right at the middle. However each end tapers down a bit and if you have a shotgun mic, there is about 1.5 inches of clearance from the mic to the inside of the top of the bag. I was also considering the Kata-191, but then I saw a pic of an FX1 in it, almost bursting at the seams without much for accessories (I posted a pic of that on page 4 of this discussion).

If you need any other pics or info, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
A1 - Hard Case or Soft Case?-img_0990.jpg  
Nick Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 06:14 AM   #66
New Boot

Great, Nick. Thanks for being so helpful. I'm convinced that the 191 is out of the question and that the 193's extra space will be needed.

I believe that the 193 exceeds the limits for aircraft carry-on baggage (which has been one of my concerns). But for that case, it might be convenient anyway to put the non-fragile stuff in the checked baggage and "squeeze" the camera into a separate suitable carry-on bag.

/Thomas
Thomas Lundberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:26 AM   #67
Inner Circle

I've just got my Kata cc-193 as well, and - while satisfied with the overall design and quality - have one doubt: why is the bottom so soft? In fact, it's softer than the side walls, so that when putting on the floor, you almost feel the camera bumping against it!

Are yours the same, or is mine defective?
Old April 11th, 2007, 06:54 AM   #68
Wrangler

Per the KATA web site info on the CC-193: "These bags meet the strict new airline regulations for carry-on luggage size. Due to constantly changing airline regulations, please check with your carrier prior to departure."
Old April 11th, 2007, 05:53 PM   #69
New Boot

I just bought the Portabrace CS-DV3. I'm a sucker for portabrace. Wallet feels lighter. I was gonna get the DVO-1 but I always liked the vertical zip entry and it's less likely to get stuff piled on top of it this way.
Rob Hatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 01:22 AM   #70
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Dempsey View Post
The one I have is no longer made. It belonged to my photographer wife and she gave it to me when I got the A1. An equivalent is this one:

http://www.tamrac.com/ExpeditionBackpacks.htm (Model 5575)

It's about $130
I use exactly the 5575 Model. The xha1 perfecltly fits in it. It is very easy to carry on your back.
Attached Thumbnails
A1 - Hard Case or Soft Case?-tamracclosed.jpg   A1 - Hard Case or Soft Case?-tamracopen.jpg  

George Szondy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 09:34 AM   #71
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Lundberg View Post
Great, Nick. Thanks for being so helpful. I'm convinced that the 191 is out of the question and that the 193's extra space will be needed.

I believe that the 193 exceeds the limits for aircraft carry-on baggage (which has been one of my concerns). But for that case, it might be convenient anyway to put the non-fragile stuff in the checked baggage and "squeeze" the camera into a separate suitable carry-on bag.

/Thomas
I have the Kata 191 and it fits the XH-A1 like a glove. Now, there is almost no room for accessories but it is the smallest bag that will fit the cam. I can put the camera in it, the Canon wide angle glass, both lens hoods, tapes and that's it.
Scott Balkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #72
Regular Crew

Kata Grizzly-3 (CBP-3)

I did quite a bit of research on bags yesterday. I wanted someting that would carry my A1 and my digital camera (20D) with several Canon lenses.

I wanted to be able to fit the camera in the bag with the sennheiser mic attached as well as my wireless lav on the side of the cam. My camera size with all these attachments is 18Lx10Hx8W. I didn't want to have to break it down every time I put things away. That means a pretty big bag. I also wanted to be able to carry it as a bag or backpack if I went hiking. And to be able to bring along the tripod. But at the same time I wanted it to be a grab bag for the truck. I already have a Pelican 1450 for travel, and a small Lowepro backpack if I want to go light.

The Kata Grizzly has customizable interior compartments that can be cut to specific sizes to hold lenses, wires, etc.

I looked at Portabrace backpacks and they were my second choice. I just didn't like the layout of the interior and they seemed less customizable.

I settled on the Kata Grizzly-3. This is an expensive option at $480 (BH) but I think it will solve all my needs in one bag. I'll post pictures as soon as I get it to show how the layout is on the inside.

http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pi...d=1&ProdLine=1
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

It looks like BH only stocks 1. I bought it yesterday and now it shows out of stock. They list it at $550 on the site but if you add it to cart it goes to about $450.00.

-Jonathan
Jonathan Gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #73
Regular Crew

I just bought this Petrol case
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

At work we use Portabrace bags with Z1s and since they open like a clamshell they would always hit the gain and whitebalance switches. Part of that is because of the design of the Z1, but I wanted something where the entire top opened up and didn't split apart. This petrol case seems to fit the bill nicely, plus it's quite a bit cheeper than the porta brace. I'm not a big fan of the bright orange, but I guess I'll be able to see what is in there a little easier. It's also got a lot of room for other goodies - like a WA adapter etc.
Nate Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #74
Major Player

The A1 ia a lot bigger and heavier than I expected.

I have a wonderful Petrol bag that fit my Xl1S AND GL2 as an ideal, single carry-on.

I was expecting to swap out the GL2 for the A1 and I'm SCREWED!

I also carry-on a 20D set up with all my EOS and Video lenses in a LowePro rolling backpack. It's does not fit the A1 either.

Any further case suggestions would be helpful. All of my shoots are always
two or more plane rides away. I need both cams in the cabin in one bag.
I have a feeling I'm SOL.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 12:31 PM   #75
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Szondy View Post
I use exactly the 5575 Model. The xha1 perfecltly fits in it. It is very easy to carry on your back.
Hey George, I'm leaning more torward those backpack-style cases. I had a hard briefcase style case for my old Sony A1 and I liked it, but it just seemed too bulky.

I am now looking at this case:

http://www.mekko.net/photobag/c37.html

Seems to be similar to yours, no?
Adam La Prade is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders