Initial User's review of the Canon XH-A1 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 4th, 2006, 11:22 AM   #76
Regular Crew

I dont own one of these cams but I just checked one out at the local photog shop, and man what a beast this thing is!
I had initially assumed this cam was gonna be a black plastic GL2 that would do HD (and I would have been pretty satisfied).
But Holy crap! the leap of technology/professionalism/beefiness from GL1/GL2 to A1/G1 is enormous, I was stunned. From the cool matte black finish (that seems alot more durable than the old pearly plastic shell) to the giant 72mm dia. lens. Man, all I have to say is WOW! these are impressive in person. This is such a giant step up. Great work Canon.
Jack Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 11:51 AM   #77
Major Player

Henry, the hard moutn is quite removable. It's jsut a more secure, and actually, sharper way of mounting the M2 to a Camcorder body... http://redrockmicro.com/forum/viewto...er=asc&start=0

Should help with softness.

You can overcompensate buy turning up the sharpness in the canm, or adjust the GG REALLLLLLLY finely

Cant wait to get my A1
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #78
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Jenkins
I just checked one out at the local photog shop...
Nice to hear that Precision Camera has them in stock... say hi to Jerry Sullivan for me next time you're in there.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 12:52 PM   #79
Regular Crew

Yep it was Precision, you're good Chris. Those guys run a nice shop.
Jack Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #80
Regular Crew

970G Size Battery

Quote:
Originally posted by Brent Graham:
The only problem though is the internal battery bay. Although I love the idea, my large capacity 970G got stuck in there!!! I had to stick super sticky tape to the battery to pull it out from the compartment!

CAUTION TO ALL WHO USE 970G SIZE BATTERIES!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Hurd:
The 950G is the same size as the older BP-930, and the 970G is the same size as the older 945. The internal battery well in the XH A1 and G1 will accomodate the larger BP-970G.
I'm not sure I want to try and put the 970G battery into my brand new Canon A1 ... has someone else had success in using this battery & not getting stuck?

Don
Donald White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 02:35 PM   #81
Major Player

I imagine there is some trick people are missing to remove it.
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 02:36 PM   #82
Major Player

last night, i tried to adapt/throw in some of the xlh1 presets for kicks and got some pretty nice looks. the h1 and a1 share the same adjustment settings, but the a1 puportedly has 140% of the color space of the h1. all i did was copy over the same values and multiplied the h1 setting by 4, for starters, to compensate for the differences in value range and color space wherever the value range was updated (-9 to +9 on the h1, as opposed to -50 to +50 on the a1). i have no way to compare these settings to what they actually look like on the h1, but there were some very nice results when i previewed out to my crt. a big thanks to the authors of the original presets for giving us all a nice starting point to work off of.

also, the lcd/viewfinder at the default settings is way too bright and does not give an accurate depiction of what it will really look like when output on a calibrated monitor. taking down brightness almost all the way, and cranking up both color and contrast almost all the way helps, and got me pretty close to what i was seeing on the crt brightness & contrast-wise. there is still a slight difference in hue which i don't think anything can be done about.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #83
Major Player

i've swapped in three BP945s without a problem.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 03:12 PM   #84
Regular Crew

So, unless I'm missing something - the 945 should be the same size as the 970G... and it ought to work.

Thanks Henry.
Donald White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #85
Obstreperous Rex

Yes -- the BP930 and 950G share the same physical dimensions, as do the BP945 and 970 G.

Old November 4th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #86
Major Player

No, you got me wrong, the 970G works, it's just such a tight fit and so sunk in the battery bay that theres nothing to grab onto in order to pull it out. To get a battery out you have to pull this plastic tab out to the side and the battery gets pushed out by two springs located on the back face of the battery bay, but if your battery is a tight fit, these springs don't push hard enough to get the battery out. Hence I had to stick tape to the battery to 'pull' it out. The batteries work fine, they're just a tight fit for the bay.
Brent Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 05:41 PM   #87
Regular Crew

I live in Austin too and am considering purchasing the camera. Never been to precision camera. What is their website?
Andrew Ott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 06:16 PM   #88
Obstreperous Rex

Andrew, it's http://www.precision-camera.com/ -- they're located at 38th and North Lamar.

Old November 4th, 2006, 06:23 PM   #89
Regular Crew

Sweet thanks.
Andrew Ott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 07:02 PM   #90
Regular Crew

everything is A okay

Battery goes in and releases just fine, no sticking - I actually like the balance with a heavier battery in it.

Thanks!
Donald White is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders