Initial thoughts from a HDR-HC1 Switcher - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 15th, 2006, 11:36 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fry
I'd second that, since it is a little smaller than the XH-A1. I'd add that, since it uses CMOS chips, it should give better lattitude (more details shown in darkest and lightest parts of the pictures) than the Canon's CCDs, which could be very useful in low-light situations. This is one area where I really want to see some side-by-side test results...
Ditto... though it doesn't look like anyone's buying the FX7, so we'll have to wait until the V1 comes out ... hopefully someone will buy that!
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 12:31 PM   #17
New Boot

OK, I'm fully convinced the A1 performs far better than the HC1 in low light.

Alex, you report a patterning of out-of-focus objects in the HC1. I don't think this is due to a "sharper lens than sensor"-effect. In high-frequency parts (fine texture, like in a tweed jacket) of the image, "aliasing" will appear if the sensor resolution is lower than the optical resolution. However, this applies to in-focus objects and the aliasing will vanish as the object moves out of focus. Maybe you see an effect of the compression algorithm(?). In any case, your observation is very much appreciated!

As for the CMOS vs CCD comparison, which perhaps is sliding away a bit from the original topic, I am all ears/eyes for any improvements of the dynamic range. Moving from good-old film into video has been painful regarding this.
Thomas Lundberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 02:14 PM   #18
Major Player

I've attached an image. You'll need to open it to full size to see the noise.

If you look at the trees in the background you see a kind of patina over the out-of-focus parts of the image. It looks almost like it was shot through a bug screen (it wasn't - that's clear air between the camera and the background).

I remember reading somewhere what caused this - and I seem to recall the suggestion that the lens was too good for the camera (the pattern you are seeing is something to do with the sensor array)... but I may be recalling that wrong.

Anyway, however it's created, it's there.
Attached Thumbnails
Initial thoughts from a HDR-HC1 Switcher-a1-noise.jpg  
Old November 15th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #19
New Boot

Thanks, Alex, for that illustration. Very clear distortion of the background, indeed. It is very similar to image processing induced artefacts I've seen in highly compressed airborne surveillance images. I would place a little bet on the compression after all.

However, what's interesting is, as you say, it's there! So this is a typical HVR-A1/HC1 behaviour that is not seen with the Canon XH A1? Then Canon scores one more point with me...
Thomas Lundberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 05:55 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Leith
I've used the Sony HVR-A1 / HC1. I love the size, and the images are generally excellent - but there were two problems we noticed:

1. Low light performance is rubbish, and the image quality rapidly degrades and colour balance dramatically shifts when things get a bit dull.

2. Out of focus objects display a sort of moire patterning. Apparently this is something to do with the lens resolving more than sensor can cope with?
The screen door effect is the bayer filter. My Canon HV10 does this. My JVC GR-HD1 did this. It's what you avoid when you get 3CCD/3CMOS as opposed to the one chippers. The 3 chippers don't need this filter, the single chippers do to produce color.

You'll avoid this moire pattern with any 3 chip camcorder, Sony, Canon, Panasonic, JVC et al
Tom Roper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders