Coming out of A1 via component video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 3rd, 2006, 08:54 PM   #1
Major Player

HD Component Out?

Does the A1 support HD component out? Uncompressed 4:2:2 HD component out? I'd love HD-SDI, but the extra $3k is probably beyond my budget!
David Ziegelheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 09:44 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Just like all other HDV camcorders, both the XH G1 and A1 offer uncompressed analog component output. You can see the component output D-Terminal jack in the photos on my site at http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxh/articles/images1.php -- six image down from the top, click on it to see a bigger version. Yes it is 4:2:2 but keep in mind it is an analog signal not digital. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 09:50 PM   #3
Major Player

However, it would be the same as the HD100/110/200, HVX200, and Z1/FX1, correct?
Old August 3rd, 2006, 09:57 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Not sure I understand your question -- but no. Some of the cameras you list are 720 and others are 1080. Analog component output from the Canon XH G1 or A1 will most closely match the Canon XL H1.

Old August 4th, 2006, 09:44 AM   #5
Major Player

You had distinguished between the analog component signal and the HD-SDI signal. I was just confirming that other than the H1, G1, and HD250, all of the sub-$10k cameras use analog component output.

Most seem to offer a choice of outputs. I think the HD100/110/200 and HVX200 offer 1080i and 720p with the frame rate set separately. Presumably the 24p frame rate is a 2:3 pulldown in both cases.

Do the Canon's only have 1080i analog component out?

Is the component output much worse than the HD-SDI output?
Old August 4th, 2006, 10:52 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

All of the HD cameras in this class have component output.

All of the Canon cameras are 1080.

Component output is uncompressed analog. SDI output is uncompressed digital.

Old August 4th, 2006, 11:16 AM   #7
Regular Crew

So...

Wow! so I had no idea that even on the A1 the component output is uncompressed, albeit analog, but still ....So this begs the question, are there any comparisons between uncompressed analog HD (I guess captured via some component HD card?) and digital uncompressed HD (SDI)?
I know for the digital purists this would be a no-go but it might be interesting just to see the actual difference that $3K gets.

A few years back, in a bind, I output some effects on a Hi8 tape via SVHS output onto a flame and the stuff looked great, we could not tell the difference between the other straight from digital effects for the project.
Jack Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 11:38 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

I think this falls under the realm of capture card comparisons; i.e. HD analog component capture vs. HD digital (SDI) capture. My friend Mike Curtis of HD For Indies (from Austin) specializes in this sort of thing; check his blog at www.hdforindies.com

Old August 4th, 2006, 11:53 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

By the way I don't know that "uncompressed" is really the right word; as the component output is 4:2:2 and not 4:4:4, so you can argue that it actually is compressed, but then again it's an analog output so you can argue that it's not compressed. Either way it should be realized that the only way to benefit from capturing the component output is if you can do it live while shooting, and then you're looking at being tethered to a capture station on the set. Currently there are no laptop solutions for component video or SDI capture. Capturing component video while shooting is neither lightweight nor portable nor inexpensive.

Old November 5th, 2006, 09:55 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Coming out of A1 via component video

In lieu of getting the G1 with SDI HD output, am wanting to know a good, economical way to get the component video into a Mac (desktop or laptop) and FCP. So that I'm ready to edit in DVCPRO HD?

What's the best way to handle the audio in this scenario? What happens with timecode?
Gene Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2006, 10:13 AM   #11
Major Player

I'm pretty sure you can use FirweWire as your control connection and time code. Then you'd need a capture card from AJA or Blackmagic. They both offer breakout boxes as well for easier connections. Then you capture from componnent out to any codec you want. Use the analog audio out.
Old November 5th, 2006, 11:03 AM   #12
Regular Crew

So, everything -- video, audio and TC -- will be in sync even though they are coming in through three separate modes?

Does anyone have a recommendation among the AJA and Blackmagic capture cards?
Gene Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2006, 11:09 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Hey Gene,

Alot of what you are looking for is buried in this thread...

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=77572&page=4

Good Luck,
Jay
Jay Stebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Latimer
So, everything -- video, audio and TC -- will be in sync even though they are coming in through three separate modes?

Does anyone have a recommendation among the AJA and Blackmagic capture cards?
That's the problem. I'm not sure all will be in sync. Use a clapper for each shot.

We use AJA stuff and just ordered the Kona LHe for a MacPro we are setting up for live HD/SDI capture. You can read about the setup HERE. The first shoot we will use it on is next week and I will be updating that thread with info about the system and it's performance along with photos and video.
Old November 5th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #15
Major Player

We have had great success with the AJA Kona LHe and using it via HD SDI.

If you want timecode, you might want to look into Convergent Design's HD Connect: http://www.convergent-design.com/

This takes the firewire out and converts it into audio, video and timecode via SDI & RS422.

Good luck.

KW
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders