Wide Angle Adaptor for XH A1? - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 17th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #241
Regular Crew

There used to be a red eye sample on this thread post 30:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...t=red+eye+wide

but the link doesn't work. I was thinking about getting the red eye until I saw the sample. Looked pretty average to me, lots of distortion and soft edges. If you can afford it the Aspheron is the one you want. Fairly light weight, but needs a custom step ring (attached image).

http://www.bolex.ch/NEW/?p=3

Do a search for Tom Hardwick's posts, he's tried just about every wide there is.
Attached Thumbnails
Wide Angle Adaptor for XH A1?-adapter4.jpg  
Attached Images

Andy Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:14 AM   #242
Regular Crew

Thanks, Andy. I did check out those threads... and there is a lot of discussion about different adapters, but I find almost no mention of the Century WA adapter. Sure would like to see some sample pics.

Looking at the pics you posted... does the bayonet-mount fit on the XHA1 without an adapter? Is there something on the front of the lens that I haven't noticed that would allow the bayonet-mount to grab hold? (I'm at work now so I can't check.) Or is the bayonet-mount threaded on one side? (Or maybe... just maybe... it works with the lens shade bayonet mounts?)
Thanks!

Last edited by L. Kirk Kauder; July 19th, 2007 at 10:54 AM.
L. Kirk Kauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 09:48 AM   #243
Wrangler

There are at least two generations of the Century 0.6x, the one that came out for the XL1 many years ago, which does not quite fit on the XH A1 (but can be made to fit with a bit of manipulation), and a new version that apparently fits all the X series camcorders.

Not clear that other changes were made, but there are some. The weight and physical dimensions are a bit different. I suspect that the original for the XL1 may not work as well optically on the new HDV camcorders, thus the mount change, but I have not seen any side-by-side comparisons.
Old July 19th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #244
Regular Crew

No for the Aspheron you will need to get a custom adapter made, you can connect to either the thread or the lens hood bayonet, the picture I posted shows a bayonet adapter that I don't have. I've ordered one that attaches to the thread mount, attaching to the bayonet would hold the lens a little closer so less likely to vignette in the corners.

I found some samples of a century here, not sure if it's the same as the one for the A1 but I would assume it will be, lots of distortion:
http://www.bealecorner.com/dvx100/ce...e06/index.html

It really depends how wide you want it and if you are happy with barrel distortion. I hate barrel distortion so that basically leaves the Aspheron. I don't think there's any other wide angle that is as wide and doesn't distort.
Andy Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #245
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gordon View Post

I found some samples of a century here, not sure if it's the same as the one for the A1 but I would assume it will be, lots of distortion:
http://www.bealecorner.com/dvx100/ce...e06/index.html
Finally! Although those pics are about three years old... they still show the look I was going for. I think I may have made my decision.
Thanks for helping!
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:45 PM   #246
Trustee

I bought the Century .6x. It is pretty light and the image looks good. It attaches using the bayonet mount.

It blocks the fast autofocus.

You can use the autofocus with about 1/2 the zoom range.

Since the xh-a1 is already fairly wide for normal shooting, I got this for using in tight places, for getting full shot from close range and to use with the Merlin in certain situations.

As shown in the examples, the just how obvious the barrel distortion is depends on the shot. In any case, for a shot this wide, it looks quite reasonable and I don't think is any different than an "experience TV viewer" would expect to see.

I do wish that Century included a case with its lenses, but this one doesn't include one... just a cardboard box.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:46 AM   #247
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker View Post
I bought the Century .6x. It is pretty light and the image looks good. It attaches using the bayonet mount.
Thanks, Jack. I'm going for it!
I'll check back after I get it and let y'all know what I think.
Old July 20th, 2007, 11:37 AM   #248
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by L. Kirk Kauder View Post
Finally! Although those pics are about three years old... they still show the look I was going for. I think I may have made my decision.
Thanks for helping!
um, they look awful?

ps, I us the canon wide, love it
Kris Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #249
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Bird View Post
um, they look awful?

ps, I us the canon wide, love it
Not sure where you got the "look awful" from. It wasn't from me. When I said the pictures were three years old I meant that the adapter sold today should be even better and adapted to 16X9/HD.
The Century adapter is perfect for my intentions. Light weight, quick on & off... should work well with my Glidecam 2000 Pro and give just the right effect/affect I was looking for.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...=1385&IID=6219
Old July 20th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #250
Regular Crew

I just bought the Canon and if you think you might do any handheld shots your wrist may take a beating with this monster. It is a nice lens but a little heavy. I think I am going to return it for the Century 0.8.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Converter.html
Dave Pecunies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #251
Major Player

I own a Century WA. If you're not shooting a Beastie Boys video or something avant-garde...it's an ideal paperweight.

The Canon is a monster. It’s a badass monster that was designed specifically to produce the best and widest possible image for the camera in question…which they make…in addition to the highest quality lenses in the world. How can there even be a debate?

Anything that you put in front of a canon lens that ISN'T a canon lens will not produce the best possible image. That's not a prediction, that’s a fact of life.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #252
Trustee

If someone can prove this wrong I'd be glad to know.

Fact:

I had a brand new 0.6x WA adapter from Century Optics that is sold as being HD compatible.

I had a 4 year old version of the same lens that was designed for the XL1...not HD.

Placed both of them on my H1 and could tell no difference. Both softened the image some and under the right/wrong cirmcumstances significantly softened the edges. If there was any difference it was not apparent at all.

I called CO and asked and was told that it is optically the same glass. The mount has been re-tooled for the newer HD cameras.

Take it for what it is worth.

I sent back the new CO .6x and got a refund ( only had it for a week) and I bought a used one off of ebay for $100.

Also, since it is a bayonet mount you cannot use the Canon lens hood so you will need something to use to block peripheral light....the .6x flares to high heaven if you don't.

The 0.8x Century looked so much better....but was not as wide.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:20 PM   #253
Major Player

get the Canon glass, the WD-H72 is worth it
Salah Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #254
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salah Baker View Post
get the Canon glass, the WD-H72 is worth it
They are all worth it. The fact that the Canon is in the same price range is shocking though!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #255
Regular Crew

The Canon WD would be a bargain at $1000. It's that good.
Jay Fisk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders