Wide Angle Adaptor for XH A1? - Page 25 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 9th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #361
Regular Crew

I have a Raynox zoom through WA for sale in the classifieds.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/private-...x-wa-72mm.html

Make me an offer....the price is negotiable. :-)
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #362
Regular Crew

Thank you, but I need wider view angle, 0,79x is not enough. :(
Jarda Bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 03:14 PM   #363
Regular Crew

i have the original Canon WA lens but it has a serious Distortion problems

its very wide angle, but it just too much distortion, unbelievable, the buildings look crooked and the faces are just not real. i thought original stuff doesn't do things like dissatisfaction, i guess i should have asked you before.
Arthur Abramov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:30 PM   #364
Major Player

What are you shooting with the WD-H72?

I love this lens. I can get inside of vehicles for installation videos, I can practically set the lens on the bumper and get clear focus from 3" away.

Yes, there is some distortion at the wide end, but when I'm shooting really long muscle cars the distortion can be kindof cool.

I guess it just depends on how you use the lens. I love mine.
Will Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #365
New Boot

fisheye 16x9

Hi...Is this lens compatible com XH-A1? 16x9 Inc. | 169HDVSF5X82 Super Fisheye Lens | 169-HDVSF5X-82
Thanks,
Hélio
Helio Couto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #366
Inner Circle

It will certainly work on the A1 but I note that it's listed at that site as no longer available. It will give you barrel distortion by the bucket-load - good for skateboarding movies but not so good inside churches.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 09:52 AM   #367
New Boot

Thanks Tom.
There are risk of apear vignette in zoom out?
I buyed a 0.25x high definition fisheye converter 67mm ( i think my mistake ) + macro 12,5 + adapter 67-72 but apears vignette.
I'd like to use a FISHEYE (.3 or .25) but with no vignette.
Any suggestions?
Helio Couto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #368
Inner Circle

Raynox are very good at cross-referencing various lenses to different camcorders, and showing you on-screen results. Have a look here:

Raynox High Definition Conversion Lens Accessories for SONY HDR-FX1,HVR-Z1 HDV Camcorder
Old March 10th, 2010, 10:40 AM   #369
Regular Crew

I'm looking for a not-so expensive wide angle adapter for the XH A1 (I won't pay 600 bucks for the Canon one).

So, is there any good one that's way cheaper? One that won't insert vignettes or artifacts..

thanks!
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:52 AM   #370
Regular Crew

The WD-H72 shipped to Canada is about $347 with shipping best I could figure. Not sure where the $600 is from. Most people in this long thread agree that this is about the best for the money. They try other lenses that are cheaper, but get disappointed with the results and end up getting the WD-H72. Also, the lens is zoom through as well. I have one and recommend it.

I don't think that you will find a cheap lens that is free of artifacts, and doesn't vignette. Inexpensive and quality don't go together so well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne Didelot-Pothier View Post
I'm looking for a not-so expensive wide angle adapter for the XH A1 (I won't pay 600 bucks for the Canon one).

So, is there any good one that's way cheaper? One that won't insert vignettes or artifacts..

thanks!
Christopher Neville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #371
Regular Crew

WD-H72 too Heavy?

I read that the WD-H72 is heavy, but I can't find specs anywhere. Does anyone know exactly how much the Canon lens weighs? Even 1 pound can get very heavy if shooting hand-held. Century Optics has one that weighs a little more than half pound, but cost a little more.
Alex DeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 07:51 AM   #372
Regular Crew

It is heavy and I can only use it very briefly without support. It makes the A1 very front heavy. I have seen the weight stated as 25.41oz or (1.58 lbs) and I believe it. I only use mine with a tripod or monopod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex DeJesus View Post
I read that the WD-H72 is heavy, but I can't find specs anywhere. Does anyone know exactly how much the Canon lens weighs? Even 1 pound can get very heavy if shooting hand-held. Century Optics has one that weighs a little more than half pound, but cost a little more.
Christopher Neville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 12:44 PM   #373
Regular Crew

Cheap Tokina 72mm from e-bay

I found this wide angle adapter for my Xh-A1:
Tokina 72mm Wide Angle lens for Canon XH A1 XH G1 XL H1 on eBay (end time 07-Jun-10 21:26:20 BST)
Anyone had any experience with it?
Thanx
Old May 18th, 2010, 01:18 AM   #374
Inner Circle

I have no direct experience of this lens but it's pretty cheap, so might be worth a go. One thing is it'll barrel distort pretty severely, and you'll notice the before and after shots have been designed to hide this failing. It's a zoom-through and will get you out of tight corners ok. No mention of its coating, but the Tokina name is well respected.

tom.
Old July 4th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #375
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogdan Tyburczy View Post
The first picture shows the points at which the opening in the adapter had to be widened. Note: it shows reassembled adapter.
Hi Bogdan, I took off the back half... and had been thinking that I could probably replace the glass myself while it was disassembled; (I ordered a new one from Century....) but realized you hadn't had to break it down that far. Am I correct?
David Stembridge is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders