Wide Angle Adaptor for XH A1? - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 27th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #106
Regular Crew

Could you post a before and after pic. I am looking for something like this for a few special shots but can't justify $500+ for a few special shots. I would be all over this if it works.

I am looking for more of a semi fisheye look with a little bit of distortion on the sides. I have a .3 semi fisheye on SD land and loved the look for certain shots.

Is is possible to get an image to look at?
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 10:33 AM   #107
Major Player

Ok I must admit that I asked for trouble by not mentioning that I don`t have a picturesque scenery before and after comparison samples but here you go:
Crappy before and after samples

Notice that it was taken with the lens wide open and AF focusing on I don`t know what :)...
The vignetting can not be seen on TV or camcorders LCD I guess I`ll modyfy the lens by removing those unusable filter threads so it will not vignette.
CA is due the camcorders own lens as you might notice and considering that original lens barrel too my estimate is that it doesn`t barrel that much.

Hope that helps a little, I`ll try to get some "beauty" shots soon enough.

Cheers,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 10:57 AM   #108
Regular Crew

Thanks for the images. It looks like it does give a little curve distortion to the outer edges of the footage....This effect is what I want. When you get a chance some outdoor images would be nice to really determine how it looks. I don't mind that tiny vigenette. I can deal with that easy enough.
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #109
Inner Circle

Toenis, it looks to me as if your lens manufacturer has inadvertently (ha!) misrepresented a 0.7x converter and labelled it as a 0.45x - not uncommon with what I'll call 'no-name' brands. Once you've zoomed up to remove the vignetting (which you'll need to do for any film that'll be projected or shown on google video, for instance) you'll be down to a very mild 0.8x.

The vignetting will be down to the entry pupil's diameter and the distance it's from your zoom's front element, so 'removing threads' won't help. You haven't got a filter between converter lens and zoom, have you?

Ok, the lens looks pretty flare free and the image is sharp enough, but a genuine 0.45x should more than halve your focal length and in so doing give you dramatically wider footage.

For what a 0.52x converter can do for the Z1, go have a look here:

http://www.fortvir.net/gallery/v/tom...wide+.jpg.html

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #110
New Boot

I like the Canon wide angle lense alot. It changes the camera balance alot and is a bit of a pain to stow if you have a small camera bag. I have produced great images with it. I have not read of anyone with a better alternative than this lense.
Michael Bartolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #111
New Boot

Wide Angle Lens & Playback

1. Is there a way to adjust the speaker level on the A1 when playing back footage? I have looked through the book. I have scoured the camera. I cannot come up with a mechanism to adjust it.

2. Any one able to compare the Red Eye Wide Angle Adapters with the Century/Schneider non-zoom bayonet mount, fisheye and/or .6x?

From a distance the benefit of the Red Eye WA seems to be that it is lighter, can be flipped to create a fish eye.

The benefit of the Century lens is that it is a bayonet mount. Easy on/Easy off.

Can anyone make comparisons about the quality of glass?

I used the Century FishEye on my previous camera, a Z1, and was pleased with the results.

Best,

Whit
Whit Wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #112
Regular Crew

I went NUTS trying to find it also. Someone here helped me.

It isn't obvious, but if you look closely at the menu selector button at the bottom left of the battery compartment, you'll see that it adjusts playback volume by rotating up/down.

WOW!! I actually knew the answer to something here. I'm impressed with ME. Now if I could just get up to speed with everything else!!!
Dearl Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #113
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit Wales View Post
1. Is there a way to adjust the speaker level on the A1 when playing back footage? I have looked through the book. I have scoured the camera. I cannot come up with a mechanism to adjust it.
The select wheel on the back of the body. The same for headphone level.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #114
Still Motion

I had some century adapters, bayonet mount, for my XL2 that I kept when I got the A1. Then bought the red eye and I much much prefer it.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:38 PM   #115
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau View Post
I had some century adapters, bayonet mount, for my XL2 that I kept when I got the A1. Then bought the red eye and I much much prefer it.
And the Century adaptors fit? My bayonet mount Centurys from my XL1 won't fit on my A1 (and I was under the impression that the same Century models fit both the XL1 and XL2).
Mike Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #116
Still Motion

One of my lenses was actually for the XL1 I believe. They do fit if they are bayonet mount, it is just a very odd fit. I played with it for five minutes and was just about to give up then it just slipped on and the resolution was good in HD too. Problem is, I couldnt figure out a reliable way to get it on but both the WA and fisheye went on with some time spent. No forcing it was needed, just wiggling.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 08:58 PM   #117
Regular Crew

Right on, thanks. I gave up after a minute or so as I figured it was a long shot that it would fit in the first place. I will try again!

edit: wow that took all of 15 seconds. Thanks for the tip!
Mike Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #118
New Boot

Thanks, very much, for pointing me to the menu selector.
Hiding in plain view!
Those crafty bastards!!

Thanks, too, for the Red Eye perspective.
I'll give it a shot.

Best,

Whit
Whit Wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 12:06 PM   #119
Regular Crew

I actually have the:
01) Century Optics .6X
02) Century Optics FishEye
03) Red Eye .4X

And a canon A1 and XL1s

if you want guys i can try to post images of all adapters !!!
But i thought the century optics adapters will not fit the A1 camera !!!!
I will give it a try and post something soon.

Amr
Amr Toukhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #120
New Boot

But i thought the century optics adapters will not fit the A1 camera !!!!

They just came onto the market:

http://www.schneideroptics.com/centu...h-g1/xh-g1.htm

Best,

Whit
Whit Wales is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders