DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Wide Angle Adaptor for XH A1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/78929-wide-angle-adaptor-xh-a1.html)

Amr Toukhy March 10th, 2007 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau (Post 638613)
One of my lenses was actually for the XL1 I believe. They do fit if they are bayonet mount, it is just a very odd fit. I played with it for five minutes and was just about to give up then it just slipped on and the resolution was good in HD too. Problem is, I couldnt figure out a reliable way to get it on but both the WA and fisheye went on with some time spent. No forcing it was needed, just wiggling.

this is what i was referring to, i had those lenses for the XL1s

Neil McLean March 19th, 2007 03:50 PM

.7x Wide Angle Convtr Hd Canon

Just called Schneider Optics Inc again regarding their .7X WIDE ANGLE CONVTR HD CANON and was told by their West Coast Office they have 30 on back order, listed at $850.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...=1385&IID=6220

Unfortunately, these won't be released until mid-May.

Other items listed are;

Lens Add-Ons

0HD-06WA-XLH .6X WIDE ANGLE ADAPT HD CANON $475.00 EA

0HD-07CV-XLH .7X WIDE ANGLE CONVTR HD CANON $850.00 EA

0VS-08CV-72 .8X HD W/A CONVERTER 72MM $595.00 EA

0HD-FEAD-XLH FISHEYE ADAPTER HD CANON $575.00 EA

0HD-FE3X-XLH .3X ULTRA FISHEYE HD CANON $995.00 EA

0HD-16TC-XLH 1.6X TELE-CONVERTER HD CANON $995.00 EA

Sunshades/Filter Holders/Matte Boxes

0VS-SS05-00 WIDE ANGLE SUNSHADE/FILTER HLD $125.00 EA

0VS-FF44-00 4X4 FILTER FRAME, PRO SERIES $150.00 EA

0DS-MB44-HSW DVMB W/A KIT W/15MM SONY/CANON $1,630.00 EA

Diopters

0AD-7220-00 72MM +2.0 ACHRO DIOPTER $415.00 EA

0AD-7235-00 72MM +3.5 ACHRO DIOPTER $415.00 EA

Jeffrey Fuchs March 23rd, 2007 09:55 PM

Raynox HD-FXR180, how does it look?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Finch (Post 619089)
...and a Raynox HD-FXR180 High Vision 180-degree (diagonal) Fish-Eye Conversion Lens (which was designed for the Sony HD cams such as the Z1 but is apparently compatible with all 72mm mount threads) - apparently Raynox are the oft over-looked but good quality lens manufacturers. Has anyone had any experience with Raynox, or indeed the two lenses I have just mentioned?

Mark or anyone else,

How does the Raynox HD-FXR180 work on the A1? I am thinking of picking one up. I like the fish eye look for some shot I get at weddings.

jeff

David McGiffert March 23rd, 2007 10:06 PM

I agree with Tom; if you're going to shoot
in a car you'll need a wider lens.

I have the Canon wide lens and it is zoom-through,
and is a very good piece of glass for the price.
It is also quite heavy and makes the camera
very front-end heavy. But there's nothing like a good
wide angle lens when you need it...

I have owned Century wide adapters in the past
with other camera's and never liked not being able
to zoom through them...at least the one I had didn't
allow it, maybe they have changed. For the cost, they
certainly should be able to zoom through imho.

David

Tom Hardwick March 24th, 2007 01:46 AM

I'm not with you on this one David. When I fit a wide-angle converter I want to shoot *wide*, and losing the ability to zoom-through is of secondary importance to quality.

I have lots of converters, but the very best one with the least distortion and flare is a non zoom-through. It still zooms to 6X on my 12x Sony, but other zoom-throughs I own just barrel distort too much for my liking. Not that this is particually noticeable inside a car with all its curves and soft edges, but in a building it's immediately and painfully obvious.

tom.

David McGiffert March 24th, 2007 08:52 AM

Tom,

You misread what I said.
The "being with you" part that I was talking about was
simply that " if you shoot inside a car, you will need a wider lens".

I still think that is the case.

The other thoughts on the Canon w/a lens vs adapter w/a's,
is a matter of experience and preference.

David

Eric Weiss March 24th, 2007 09:03 AM

always choose canon over century when you have the option. period.

regarding other cams, i never had much luck with "zoom through" on any century product.

the worst being the bayonet wide angle by century for the xl1-s. yuck.

however, if you put the century bayonet on the 3X, you get a pretty unique fish-eye effect.
if i ever shoot a beastie boys video, i will upload the results.

Paul Cronin April 2nd, 2007 03:21 PM

I just talked with Century Optics today and they say 45-60 days for Canon A1 adapters.

Eric Weiss April 2nd, 2007 04:15 PM

i personally find that centry optics adapters degrade the quality of the canon glass.

beacuse i got tired of switching lenses, i bought a 72mm century bayonet wa for my xl1-s. it's a paper weight now. it does not zoom through, softens the entire image, and produces serious vignetting at the edge.

the canon wa 58mm for my gl2 never comes off. it's just amazing.

i will be buying the canon wa for the a1 too.

no experience with red-eye..but if there is a canon option, i always suggest going with that.

Paul Cronin April 2nd, 2007 06:17 PM

Do you know if Canon makes a fisheye that will work for the A1? Also does Canon make a .7x wide angle that will work for the A1?

Eric Weiss April 2nd, 2007 07:15 PM

For the A1 - Canon WDH72 72mm 0.75x Wide Angle Lens

I don't think they make a fish eye.

Paul Cronin April 3rd, 2007 07:45 AM

Thanks Eric I will give the Canon WDH72 a try since I can't wait two months.

As for a fisheye I need to keep searching since it is used on most of my jobs.

Eric Weiss April 3rd, 2007 08:59 AM

i'm sure you will be happy with the canon. i also think it's the least expensive option. look around on the boards if you want to see samples with it.

as for fish eye, i don't use it. they can get very pricey. i don't think there are many options in the 72mm range either. find someone with a liberal return policy to purchase from.

if you are on a tight budget, check out Demon Fish Eye Lens .com. the rvws on this are really split..some people say "really great!" others "total garbage!"
it's $80. not a reccomendation..just a heads up.

Don Palomaki April 4th, 2007 05:11 AM

I see that Century has modified their line of 0.6x for the Canon XH/XL lines. They are now consolidated under one stock number, the one announcd for the XH series, and they are a bit wider in front and a bit heavier (3 ozs more) than they were. Possibly to answer the issues about the original XL1 adapter vignetting when full wide wide on the XH series.

Win Edson April 4th, 2007 08:16 AM

Century Optics Wide Angle Diopter for Canon HD

I've noticed on the Century Optics webpage (now Schneider Optics) they're listing the long awaited .6x wide angle for the Canon HD.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...=1385&IID=6219

But I can't find it on the B&H website, they've got one listed at

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

but this one says it's for the XL1 and XL2.

Anybody know when B&H will start selling the new lens? (I'm going to wait for the century version opposed to any others)