DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   B&H A1 in stock! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/79000-b-h-a1-stock.html)

Steve Nunez November 6th, 2006 12:27 PM

B&H A1 in stock!

Hey guys- B&H has the Canon XH-A1's in stock....I went down there today and picked one up. Guy at the store told me 4 were in the store but had many more in their warehouse (Brooklyn, NY)......so get 'em while they're around!

(I already like it better than my Sony FX-1- it sorta feels like a beefed up GL2 with some XL2 bits but for HDV- feels great and smaller than FX-1!)

Bill Ritter November 6th, 2006 01:27 PM

I ordered from B&H late Sept - they said it might ship today.

Bill ritter

Holly Rognan November 6th, 2006 02:32 PM

I am upset, they wont get back to me.

It is in stock they have already charged my credit card (two weeks ago) and it probably wont be shipped today.

I will respond to this thread as soon as I hear back from them.

Has anyone recieved a tracking from B&H yet?

Chris Hurd November 6th, 2006 02:43 PM

Have you contacted B&H customer service?

It's important to familiarize yourself with a dealer's policies before committing to an order. B&H routinely charges on the day of the order, not the day of shipment, so that should not have been a surprise to you. See our sponsors link at http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors for a list of suggested dealers if you're looking for an alternative to B&H.

Adam Palomer November 6th, 2006 03:06 PM

I have had B&H ship orders without emailing me a tracking number first. Sometimes the package simply shows up on my doorstep a few days later. They have ALWAYS shipped items as soon as they had them in stock.

Holly Rognan November 6th, 2006 03:12 PM

B & H said that they 'might' get it shipped tommorow (Tuesday). The guy on the phone said he's pretty sure, but can't guarantee. He said that only rushed order's are shipped the same day, and other's wait. (what?)

It makes no sense to me, considering that regardless of rushed or not, they should have shipped it out today because they had it in stock on Sunday.

I guess this is what you get when you deal with a store that thinks of you like a number, instead of a customer.

All in all I am happy to be getting the camcorder, I just wished it was sooner than I am getting it.

Philip Handler November 6th, 2006 03:13 PM

B&H tracking number

I received an email that my camera was shipped today with a tracking #. I ordered on September 21.

Steve Nunez November 6th, 2006 04:10 PM

I'm willing to bet the camera is already on it's way to you- B&H is on the Up&Up- there's no scamming with them! I was told they had many more at their warehouse- so be patient- it's coming!!!

Holly Rognan November 6th, 2006 04:24 PM

"I'm willing to bet the camera is already on it's way to you"

I would actually win the bet then. I called them and they explicitly promised that it would not be shipped today. They guy said that maybe tommorow, but no promise.

I know that it is eventually coming, but the service has been far from great.

I have used B&H for many accessories in the past with no problems but for this camcorder I have been less that impressed with their communication and the speed and times in which they operate.

I actually tried to cancel the order on Friday for not having it in stock, but they were closed.

Then..... Closed Saturday.

Then.....Sunday, the cam became in stock so I was relieved.

Then more waitiing..... Monday, they tell me that it wont be shipped today.

Tommorow I can hope for a tracking, no guarantee.

In the future I will not be doing business with them again.

I guess it all comes down to making the customer feel secure and happy.

Steve Nunez November 6th, 2006 04:45 PM

Holly, being a native New Yorker I'm a regular customer of B&H. I have 2 friends that work there that I ride motorcycles with on weekends and I have no affiliation with them and have become upset with their (B&H) treatment of me on a few occasions. I think because they are such a big outfit and probably do more than a million $$ per day of business, sometimes the little guys (and gals) like us get tossed about in a way we don't like. They are simply "swamped" with business, if you get a chance to visit their NY store try to do so- it's quite different. There are floating bins on the celing that carry orders all over the stores different areas of specialty. The best way to describe the store is, it's like Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory but for electronics!!!! I've spent about $35grand this year alone at that store and I'm not a pro- just a hobbyist who pays with my own cash- no expense accounts here- and I've been "mad" at times....it's just a madhouse there all the time and when I walk-in I feel like a fly on a wall!

I am in no way defending them but more like trying to shed some light on maybe why you've been told what you have. The XH-A1 is a hot item and on Sunday evening I was told they had 10 yet the next morning- 4 were left- it seems at least 6 were sold just the 1st day it was in stock at the actual store (orders are handled in their Brooklyn warehouse from what I understand.)

Well anyway- I guess I'm just trying to calm you down just a bit as I get hot-headed when I feel I'm not being treated right- once you get that camera in your hands you'll realize the short wait was worth it.
Congrats on the camera- I hope you'll like it as much as the current owners seem to like it (myself included.)

Holly Rognan November 6th, 2006 05:24 PM

I just got an email back from B&H saying that the reason for the delay was because it was out of stock (YES THAT IS WHAT THEY SAID JUST A FEW MINUTES AGO) and that they should have some tommorow to ship out, maybe. I explicity asked them on the phone if they had it in stock and the guy on the phone said yes we have them. Otherwise I would have cancelled the order.

I hate getting various information from people.

So maybe I will get it shipped out tommorow.

Tom Roper November 6th, 2006 05:44 PM

I luv NYC, greatest city in the world and I luv New Yorkers but Holly, your story is Deja Vu' what I went through with them.

Yes they are up 'n up but they were a royal hassle for me.

Stu Holmes November 6th, 2006 05:52 PM

Whilst i can understand people's annoyance at being badly-informed or getting contradicting info, i do think ultimately patience pays and content yourselves with the thought that you're getting a dynamite cutting-edge camera that very very few people in the world have currently got and an extra 24 or 48hrs isn't going to make a huge difference.(however painful it may feel!)
The important thing I think is that it's on the way and you made the right hardware choice for yourself.

It could well be (a guess) that B&H are getting the same "run-around" from *their* suppliers and are as aggrieved as you are !

(no personal affiliation at all with B&H).

Steve Nunez November 6th, 2006 06:32 PM

All you have to do is walk in there for a minute and you feel like an ant in an ant colony with busy ant-workers all around you. It's always a frantic pace and they have a huge staff behind the scenes filling orders etc- it's truly an enormous business going on in there. I just go there because they are the closest and have fair pricing.

Like Chris said earlier, if you feel they didn't treat you right- there are a few site sponsors that have excellent feedback from users here who swear by them (with excellent reputations) -you can always try them next time for more personable service.

Let us know how you like the camera!

Greg Rothschild November 6th, 2006 07:09 PM

I ordered my XHA1 from B&H in September too. Received a tracking number a few hours ago. Holly- I would be furious if I were you. Combine slow service with the runaround you've been getting and that's enough for me to never use them again. Not with all the great reviews I hear about ZGC and some other smaller stores.