Synching A1's at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 7th, 2006, 12:59 PM   #1
Major Player

Synching A1's

I know that the A1 is missing the Genlock and Timecode interfaces, but is there any way to sync two A1's on a shoot? using the same remote? I don't need frame-by-frame synch, just enough to put them on the timeline together with out lining up the clapper.

Thanks in advance.
Old November 7th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Barry,

There is a fairly simple process for this, as described in my article "Using Free Run Time Code as an External Sync Substitute for XL2 Multi-Camera Shoots." I wrote it for the XL2 but the exact same procedure applies to the XH A1.

The location of the article is http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article11.php

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 01:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

A1 Synching

I'm not to familiar with the A1 / G1's but when it comes to the Panasonic AG-DVX100B you can Synch video setting and all that good stuff through a Firwire cable...i'd imagine it would be simular with the Canon's
Old November 7th, 2006, 01:15 PM   #4
Trustee

Using the same remote to start them up may get you pretty close but it may not be perfect. The start time could be off by a frame or two due to how fast the tape gets rolling. Since the heads are not designed for perfect sync they may not be built to start up in the exact same amount of time in each camera. Usually nobody would notice this sort of delay or the amount of time it takes to start rolling a tape but when you are trying to sync two sources you may notice a few frame delay. You may get lucky and they will both start at exactly the same time but I wouldn't count on it.

With that said however you will get pretty close and much closer then you would if two people tried starting them at the same time by hand. It may be close enough for you to be able to just shift each camera in the timeline by a few frames by looking at things such as a camera flash or eye blink.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

My point with the Free Run TC sync is that the numbers will be the same between all cams; it doesn't matter if they're recording at the same time or paused or not. The Free Run procedure will get you close enough to allow for a difference of only a frame or two in post; pretty easy to match them up from there.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #6
Major Player

Chris,

Great article, thanks... yeah, that might put me over the edge on buying two of those.
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:45 AM   #7
Major Player

unfortunetly this doesn't work well

I have three xl2's and let's just say this feature just isn't much of a feature.
I re-sync the cameras before every shoot in hopes that it will work but it never does.. it starts off perfect.. but in a little while (don't know when or how) it gets way out of sync with each other.. so much so that the matching frames have been up to 45 min apart from each other..

Although I have hopes for this feature on the xh-a1 as I have ordered two of them.. hope canon has made some adjustments so that this will work.

Chris if you have any posible thoughts as to what's going on or a fix it would be much appreciated!
Michael Padilla is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders