Comparison Test XHA1, HVX-200, PD170 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 8th, 2006, 11:00 AM   #16
Major Player

Fascinating. Thank you for the examples. It makes my next purchase of a cam even harder. :-)
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #17
Major Player

I was very supprised to see that the HVX had so much RED in its coloring when compared to the H1; Did you boost the red on the HVX or are the color adjustments at 0 on both cameras?
Michael Padilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 11:11 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Padilla
I was very supprised to see that the HVX had so much RED in its coloring when compared to the H1; Did you boost the red on the HVX or are the color adjustments at 0 on both cameras?
With the HVX I seem to notice it likes the reds a lot. I had the color temp at -1. I tried to make it look as it appeared to my eyes.

I could have made the A1 look a better (color wise) if I had done the test after more experience with the camera. Now in the second day of ownership I have a much better grasp of the CP settings.
Joe Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 11:19 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Simon
With the HVX I seem to notice it likes the reds a lot. I had the color temp at -1. I tried to make it look as it appeared to my eyes.

I could have made the A1 look a better (color wise) if I had done the test after more experience with the camera. Now in the second day of ownership I have a much better grasp of the CP settings.
Yeah it seemed to me that the A1 wasn't picking up color nearly as well, but I could only imagine that was settings/experience with the camera.
Benji Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Glad to see something positive about the low light situation, and in comparison to the PD 170 no less !!
Old November 8th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #21
New Boot

Blows the recent posts that were bad-mouthing the Lowlight capabilities out of the Sony water!
Shaun Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 03:38 PM   #22
Major Player

Thanks for this test, appreciate it ... one question, if the A1 was shooting at 60i, instead of 24f, would that have any effect on its lowlight?

From what you posted, it appeared to me that the A1 and PD170 were very similar in terms of lowlight ability, with the slight edge going to the PD170 ... though I'm wondering if that if both cameras were shooting at 60i and a shutter speed of 60, would the difference be greater?
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #23
Major Player

Joe, thanks for these tests! I'm really getting excited about this cam. I can't wait to purchase one the end of this month. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 09:30 PM   #24
Major Player

Yes, if the A1 was in 60i at a 60 shutter it would be more than twice as less sensitive. The shorter the shutter, the more time the light has to hit the CCD, thus being brighter.
Holly Rognan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:15 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I think that the colors can be improved from what I had. You just need to go into the CP setttings and get the look you want. I'm going to shoot some more stuff tomorrow, it will be fun.
Joe Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:20 PM   #26
Major Player

Wow!!! The XHA1 footage in low light is extremely impressive, surprisingly more impressive then the HVX! Thank u for posting!

Last edited by Michael Y Wong; November 8th, 2006 at 11:21 PM.
Michael Y Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:49 PM   #27
Regular Crew

yep, and based on what i see here, the A1 has a much cleaner image and better highlight handling.

I would balance color level for both cameras though, color generates noise, and the HVX has a ton of color.
Antoine Fabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 01:17 AM   #28
New Boot

The A1 has a far cleaner, brighter and sharper image than the HVX200 in the tests. This really is the only choice for me as I will shoot everything at 25fps and the lowlight capabilities being on a par with the PD170 at 25fps really make this the camera I have been waiting for for a very long time!
Shaun Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 08:24 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Rognan
Yes, if the A1 was in 60i at a 60 shutter it would be more than twice as less sensitive. The shorter the shutter, the more time the light has to hit the CCD, thus being brighter.
Thanks, yes I understand the different lowlight performance due to shutter speeds, but I was wondering about different frame rates ... would the picture look darker at 60i as opposed to 24f?
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Simon
I think that the colors can be improved from what I had. You just need to go into the CP setttings and get the look you want. I'm going to shoot some more stuff tomorrow, it will be fun.
Thanks Joe ... I thought the A1 shot of the leaves in the sky was particularly stunning and filmic ...

if you do more comparison tests, could you do some at 60i?
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders