Night Time Footage - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 29th, 2006, 10:19 PM   #31
Regular Crew

A skateboard. I caught a little shadow of you in the end, I thought you were standing on a truck-dolly. I still can't believe this footage. I'm going to try to do something like it here in Chicago maybe for an upcoming shoot. In the mean time I have to download this for inspiration.

-Nate
Nathan Brendan Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 12:49 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Excellent, nice footage. Thanks
Anthony Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 11:24 PM   #33
Regular Crew

By the way, the song is called "Chicago" and it's by Sufjan Stevens. It's beautiful. I'm addicted to this clip.

-Nate
Nathan Brendan Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 08:12 AM   #34
Regular Crew

a belated "great job!" the footage really is beautiful, and I'll surely be buying this camera ASAP.
Old August 10th, 2007, 10:24 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Simon View Post
Yeah i actually fell down...haha. I've been skating for a while so that usually doesn't happen while I'm filming, but I was focused on the shot and hit a pot hole (ouch!). Camera never hit the ground just me.
Joe, do what race car drivers normally do before a race, "walk the track" to learn the course... lol

BTW, you have inspired me and I may now have to take up "skateboarding" too... (another tool for the toolbox).

Thanks!
Armando Serrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 12:54 AM   #36
New Boot

Awsome Footage

I just bought that A1, and as soon as I saw your footage, I ran outside to the street and messed with the camera. Now thanks to your post, I think I got it. Thanks a bunch! This camera rocks...
Andrew Galves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Quote:
Yeah i actually fell down...haha. I've been skating for a while so that usually doesn't happen while I'm filming, but I was focused on the shot and hit a pot hole (ouch!). Camera never hit the ground just me.
I remember me attaching my sony trv120 to my bike and riding down the street. Riding over water-gathering hole (sorry i dunno how it's called) my bike trembled and the battery of the sony fell into it ;D. Had to buy a new one.

nice footage btw
John Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Off the chain ...

Joe ...

The footage is amazing. I think it's important for you to know. Any particular preset and/or compression format you use specifically for the web?

Best regards,

--Brandon

Quote:
I filmed this all in 24f, Most of the clips have different settings depending on what I was shooting. I noticed that the quicktime file seems to de-saturate the footage a bit kinda weird. Also the compresion seems to acent the noise, because when I veiw it in FCP I barely see noise if any at all.

http://www.joesimonproductions.com/s...t/downtown.mov
Old August 21st, 2007, 09:39 AM   #39
Regular Crew

I use compressor to export to the web. It is done at 1300 kbits. I found this to work great for all web videos.
Joe Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 07:30 AM   #40
Major Player

Hey Joe.. great video! Is that H.264 from compressor? Do you ever run into any of the gamma-shift problems (desaturated look) that H.264 encodings often run into?
Deke Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 11:52 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Quote:
The Gain ranged from 0 to 12db depending on how lit it was. When I was using 6 or 12db I had NR1 at Low which did a great job of getting rid of the noise. My black setting was at middle and bpress, I find that the XHA1 black setting is best at bpress( gets rid of that milky look). I played a lot with the CP settings, and I changed almost everything in there for different shots.
I didn't do any CC this is straight out of the camera.
Have you tried the Black settings in other situations other then nighttime?
Chan Ee Jien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #42
Regular Crew

I have to compensate the settings for the H.264 . In compressor I bump the saturation up to +5 and the brightness down -2, this way it equals out the same as my original footage.

I pretty much always use bpress or lower the set level to crush the blacks. If its really dark I'll won't drop it that much so I can retain more detail and then do my final adjustments in post.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 08:54 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Hey Joe, what did you use to monitor focus and color in the field? With all the on the fly changes you made, did the LCD cut it for you?
Stu Siegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 10:59 PM   #44
Regular Crew

I always use the onboard LCD when shooting stock lens with this camera. Once you get used to what it needs to look like it works great!
Old August 14th, 2008, 11:04 PM   #45
Major Player

You have convinced me that an A1 is worth it

You've convinced me that an A1 is completely worth it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders